Michaels Stores Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 28, 2017
2,637 reviews

Full-time Part-time

2,637 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Great employee discount - 30% off entire purchase including sales (in 253 reviews)

• It's nice to see some customers arts and crafts and happiness they get from their hobbies (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • part-time roles, cannot make too much money (in 162 reviews)

• No full time position unless youre management (in 156 reviews)

1. "Michaels is a very stressful job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mooresville, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mooresville, NC

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not sure, Love the job at first.

Cons

lack of training, not enough workers on duty, need more full-time employees, alot of time working off the clock, full-timers are over worked, corporate expects way to much out of people (I believe they are out of touch with the real employees, the people working in the stores. It seems as though they listen to District Managers and above more.

"store manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

pay was ok. people were good in store level.

Cons

no holidays off, none.Don't pay for any of the 3 normal summer holidays, although corporate and dm's and higher get it off. Only salaried employee in building so guess who gets the unpaid extra hours?
    treated horribly by upper management,associates are the stupid people they need to talk slow to and micro manage

Advice to Management

look at your regional mangers and inexperienced dm's. you would be horrified.

"Enjoyed teaching, but the store was not helpful."

Former Employee - Jewelry and Painting Teacher in Canton, GA
    Former Employee - Jewelry and Painting Teacher in Canton, GA

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed teaching the classes. Jewelry making and painting.

Cons

I put a lot of my time and money into promotions that were not executed by the stores.
    Both stores did not tell me about students when I called.
    The stores let down their number one best seller of the products. ME.
    The painting classes where limiting, need better time frame layout and drawing.
    Jewelry promos we had to do, did not come in with the supplies needed or correct directions.
    Never enough hours allowed to do what I needed to get done.
    I was not allowed decent hours because of Wilton classes. I got the leftovers.
    I even initiated a set of classes, coming up with the ideas, getting the product samples done. Using two new lines. Manager was gun-ho. But the store did nothing after set-up to sell classes. I live a distance aways. Really frustrating.

Advice to Management

Frustrating working with managers who just don't care about the classes.
    The teachers really do sell your product. They know how to use the product. Use them, promote them.
    I wasn't hired in the store as a worker because I was a perceived threat to management. I hold a degree in retail. I didn't want a management job. But it sure would have helped me in getting students. That's a shame.

"Hostile corporate environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fair salary, overall people are nice. Good opportunity for people right out of school versus experienced.

Cons

Working at corporate was a hostile experience. Lack of tools needed to get the job done. Many people in management have been with company for a long time and get moved into jobs they are not experienced at.

Advice to Management

Listen and seek opinions and feedback from those under management. The open door policy did not feel open and people are afraid to speak up in this company.

5. "Managers have no clue what they are doing!"

Current Employee - Cashier/Sales in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Cashier/Sales in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

friendly co-workers, flexible schedule, those are the only good things about this place

Cons

The four managers here have no idea what they are doing. I just started a couple of weeks ago and I am already looking for another job. The managers each tell you different rules or different ways to do them so you get in trouble when doing it a different way you were. And god forbid you ask them to help you with something, they give you attitude even though you are still learning. They are not professional, constantly talking badly about workers in front of customers and other workers. Customers always complain about what a poorly run business this is. DO NOT WORK HERE!!!

Advice to Management

Get your stuff together, be more tolerable of mistakes and be more understanding

"Horrible."

Current Employee - Replenishment Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Replenishment Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

25% discount if you're into arts and crafts.

Cons

Competitive minimum wages. Personally under constant scrutiny from all three managers. I do the work of 3 people there, work constant over nights from midnight to past noon, and yet I'm still treated as if I'm the slowest person on the planet. Money is the bottom line. Too many employees getting 5 hours a week. No training unless you're on replenishment. Impossible time limits for unloading trucks.

Advice to Management

Quit thinking you are better than everyone else. You are not important. You all are just people who've spent too many years of their lives working for Michael's and somehow got promoted above sales floor.

"Unfare & feeling cheated for all the sincere & hard work that I put in."

Current Employee - Certified Framer in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Certified Framer in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Creative environment. I go to work in this place for the work that I do & for the customer's.

Cons

Does not stick to the principles of the company. Does not give fare chance to all hardworking associates. Management say's something & does something else.

Advice to Management

People with special skills need to be payed a little more than regular associates. Sincerity of an associate needs too be rewarded by proper pay or bonuses. There is a difference between associates who do specialized work & regular floor associates.

"If you value being treated fairly and with respect, look elsewhere."

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with great associates at store level. Lots of seasonal merchandise, can be fun. Rotating weekends for mgmt.

Cons

Communication is terrible. it is either nonexistent, or completely overwhelming. They change direction by the hour sometimes and seem to be completely detached from store operations, not realizing customers must be helped and cashiering, trucks, etc.There seems to be a "shoot first, ask questions later (or don't ask) mentality within field management and executives. In my experience the dm in my market was very disengaged from my particular store. He was hardly there and unresponsive to the needs of the business there. He is basically a mouthpiece that spends the majority of his time show boating for executives. He makes a lot of great promises and doesn't make good on them.

Advice to Management

Develop your employees and care about their growth. Most of us are here because of our passion and drive to succeed, not just a paycheck.

"Management doesn't seem to value their employees' contributions, and doesn't treat them with respect."

Former Employee - Lease Administrative
    Former Employee - Lease Administrative

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time

Pros

Coworkers in (related) departments other than mine were helpful when I had questions regarding job functions.

Cons

When I found cost savings, I was rudely asked why I hadn't discovered them sooner, rather than being recognized for my discovery. When I asked for help, I was told I should already know the procedures, made to feel like an idiot, and was left to fend for myself. I did not feel there was a strong team environment -- rather, a competitive, 'every man for himself' vibe which led to employees brown-nosing to seek favor with management. Not much room for advancement. HR was not neutral in any way -- any issues I brought to them were discussed with management.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like people! I wish managers knew how much improving employee morale and recognizing their strengths and accomplishments can go toward improving productivity. Sometimes when management members are older, have been in the same position for years and are more set in their ways, they are less likely to 'think outside the box' and welcome new ideas and procedures. Don't act like a despot and still believe you can expect excellence from your team.

"its all about the bottom line"

Current Employee - Framing Manager
    Current Employee - Framing Manager

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

ok benefits, great coworkers, decent schedule for a retail job, for the most part a fun work enviroment, ok dress code

Cons

as a corporation, they try to promote this image of caring about the employees, but its really whatever will save them a cent. crappy raises, basically you just make enough to keep up with the rate of inflation. i have never experienced so much miromanagement in my life

Showing 2,637 of 2,665 reviews