Michaels Stores Reviews | Glassdoor

2,781 reviews

Full-timePart-time

2,781 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great employee discount - 30% off entire purchase including sales (in 268 reviews)

• It's nice to see some customers arts and crafts and happiness they get from their hobbies (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • Granted you aren't doing much that requires skill but it's not worth working there in a part-time capacity (in 168 reviews)

• Very little full time opportunities (in 163 reviews)

"Management makes all the difference"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier/Stock Replenishment in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Customers are usually pretty great with great crafting ideas, and the discount is really a bonus. Employee and customer feedback is addressed quickly by corporate.

Cons

Pay sucks. It isn't competitive. Even with annual raises, not even close. If managers are inept or unequal to task, forget it. The entire store suffers- even if it is just one. And if management is bad, morale goes down the drain. Trying to go over their heads ended in retaliation. High turnover is always put down to "retail", unfortunately, even when longtime employees get fed up and leave.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to your employees' feedback about management. Have more than one person responsible for hiring managers when management turnover is HIGH, not to mention employee turnover. And pay more attention to your instructors. They are not given any attention, respect, training, or information unless there is a class ASAP.

"My favorite place to work"

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time

Pros

I loved interacting with customers and leading crafting classes. It didn't feel like work most of the time. We kept the floor clean, but the managers weren't crazy and would understand busy nights where we couldn't leave the place sparkling (beyond the glitter ;) ). They focused on good customer service, which I found fantastic.

Cons

I only got a raise at a year mark, and while it was good for retail (28 cents) it wasn't a lot for me. I also didn't like being the only floor associate most of the time. We ran on a skeleton crew quite often, and it could be frustrating. Also, one of my managers was a bit moody.

Advice to Management

Stay positive and customer-focused. But keep in mind that having more associates on the floor would help.

3. "Sales associate at Michaels."

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time

Pros

-Good work.
    -Fair schedule.
    -The pay was okay.

Cons

-Sometimes the sale signs were out of date so customers were difficult in "what they know" about an item.
    -Coworkers worked good but some were either rude or did slack.
    -Management wasn't the best.
    -Sometimes people were on register by themselves at certain points and it would get busy so then someone would have to come up.

Advice to Management

Work out schedules better and make sure two people are on register at all times.

4. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Seasonal Cashier in Mobile, AL
    Former Employee - Seasonal Cashier in Mobile, AL

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, clear policies, supportive management

Cons

Corporate controls the air conditioning so my store was always so hot I was sweaty, even in the winter. Even though I provided my availability I was often scheduled when I wasn't available. Pay was less than competitive, but may have been better if I had worked there longer than seasonally.

5. "mgr"

Current Employee - Manager in Pasadena, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Pasadena, TX

I have been working at Michaels Stores (Less than a year)

Pros

great . nothing bad to say

Cons

sometimes I work late during school nights

Advice to Management

thanks for the help

6. "It was ok working in warehouse, people are great but common sense from management is lacking severely."

Former Employee - Loader
    Former Employee - Loader

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people, laid back atmosphere for most part. Incentive bonus for production

Cons

Pay sucks, hours suck, forced overtime, no common sense from management, and no room to move up

7. "Decent first job"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

30% discount, very fun if you get along with your coworkers. Taking time off is easy. Especially great if you're creative or an artist.

Cons

Store manager has the worst attitude, doesn't pay well enough for the stress she brings, not much of a raise at all, scheduling could be better.

Advice to Management

Try to understand your part timers more, give more positive reinforcement, and listen to the needs of your employees.

"replenisher ( worse job ever )"

Former Employee - Replenishment Associate
    Former Employee - Replenishment Associate

Pros

Craft, you leaves early, you're always busy.  Flexible schedule. Discounts. You make new friends. Good customers.  Learn a lot. Good stuff to buy.

Cons

Disorganization, management, poor training, low pay rate.

I worked only one week in michaels and I left because they wanted me to do everything perfect with poor training on my first day of work.  They have no patience for newcomers.  Goals impossible to perform.  Ok employees but management is lousy.  Horrible in every way except for the crafts. I don't recommend working there.

Advice to Management

Be patient with the new ones.  If you want a good job, do the training well.  Do not treat employees as animals and numbers.  Better pay.  Too much work for little pay.

9. "Helper"

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time

Pros

it has a wonderful environment

Cons

Non, I love the place and coworkers

10. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Kildeer, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Kildeer, IL

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours and a great team

Cons

poor leadership and corporate manegement

Advice to Management

Keep it up

Showing 2,781 of 2,811 reviews