Michelson Found Animals Foundation Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Great Place to Work for Animal Lovers"

I have been working at Michelson Found Animals Foundation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Helping animals can be very rewarding, especially when you get to see the impact that this organization has had in the animal welfare community with its various programs. The Adopt & Shop stores are very nice and provide a welcoming alternative to traditional animal shelters.

The organization is very well funded and therefore can provide good compensation and LOTS of employee benefits. On top of a competitive salary, employees get very affordable medical coverage (with great plans), 401K matching, discounted pet insurance, frequent catered lunches, in-office massages, and lots of other fun things. The absolute best thing about working here is that you get to bring your pets to work! The office also gets frequent visits from adoptable pets. Who can complain about playing with dogs and kittens at work?

There have been some changes going on within upper management to try to foster a culture of growth and opportunity. Many employees have been promoted within the organization and many have used their experience here to move on to bigger things outside of the organization. There are lots of opportunities for professional advancement and training. I have felt valued and appreciated as an employee and given lots of opportunities to grow.

Overall, the staff is full of great people who share my love of animals and I am grateful for having the opportunity to work here.

Cons

You run the risk of adopting too many cute animals while working here (someone adopted a dog on their first day).

There has been a lot of turnover in the 2 years that I have been working here, mostly within the marketing department. Since I don't work in that department, I cannot say why turnover has been so high. The rest of the office seems to be able to retain happy and long term employees.

Advice to Management

Continue to work on the changes within the organization to foster communication and growth as it seems to be working.

Feb 27, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review and for recognizing the good work that is being done to improve our communication and culture. I’m glad to hear you feel appreciated and... More

2. "Good intentions but missing the big picture"

I worked at Michelson Found Animals Foundation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pet friendly workplace, dedicated to animal welfare, snacks and coffee, fun culture

Cons

There is a lot of talk about strategic planning but you don't see it in action. There is more reactivity than strategy and a general lack of understanding of key marketing and business principles.

Advice to Management

Look at your customer experience and your bottom line will follow.

3. "Proud to have worked here"

I have been working at Michelson Found Animals Foundation full-time

Pros

Room for growth. I started as a volunteer in part with their smaller programs and after a couple of years was offered a job. My co workers are the best that I could ever have worked with. It was a rewarding experience working with staff and volunteers in order to save animals.

Cons

None, that I experienced. I had a positive outlook during my time here.

Jun 26, 2017 – HR Intern

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. It’s great to hear what a positive experience you had as not only a volunteer but as an employee. We truly value our volunteers, year-to-date... More

4. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Michelson Found Animals Foundation full-time

Pros

Great staff who really love what they do and that makes a huge difference in moving the mission forward.

Cons

All though we would love to see more adoptions the staff continues to educate potential customers on the importance of placing animals in safe loving homes.

Advice to Management

Continue to show appreciation for the staff as the staff does for the animals they are working to provide care for. This work is much bigger than a paycheck and requires a very special person to understand!

Jun 26, 2017 – HR Intern

We appreciate the positive feedback that you provided. We do have an amazing group of employees who are passionate about the Foundation’s mission! We strive to create an organization we can all be... More

"It's a Trap"

I worked at Michelson Found Animals Foundation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to (kind of) help animals.

Cons

The Executive Director is the main reason this foundation is a nightmare. She think she knows everything, yet knows nothing. She gets her nose in literally everything, never allowing anyone to do their jobs as they should, because she sidetracks everyone constantly, and forces them to invest time, energy, and resources into tasks and projects that are counterproductive to goals. Speaking of goals -- they're a moving target. They change on a whim, according to the ED's mood. Some days she walks in happy, as if all the world wonderful. Other days she walks in looking for prey. Additionally, nothing is planned or executed strategically. Anyone with a business sense or experience can tell you resources are being invested in all the wrong places. By far the worst working environment ever. Do not be fooled by the fake reviews left to counteract the real ones left by former employees...there is a reason someone leaves every few weeks.

Advice to Management

Get a new leader.

Jun 26, 2017 – HR Intern

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It’s a rewarding feeling knowing that we can help save the lives of many animals through this organization. We are learning and growing as a... More

"Great Place To Learn And Grow"

I have been working at Michelson Found Animals Foundation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Entrepreneurial spirit in a nonprofit environment. Well-funded. Lots of opportunity for advancement. Many employees have been promoted from within. Many professional development opportunities. And pets are allowed in the office. Extraordinary benefits, particularly for a nonprofit.

Cons

As with any mission-driven organization, there can be some disagreements about how to best achieve the organization's goals, but overall it's a wonderful place to work.

Advice to Management

Keep pursuing long-term strategic plan. Continue to emphasize employee development and growth.

Jan 26, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for submitting a review. One of the reasons I joined MFAF was due to the genuine encouragement of employee development. The amount of time and money we spend to support employees both... More

"The only constant is... it's a disaster."

I worked at Michelson Found Animals Foundation full-time

Pros

They have their hands in so many areas of animal welfare - if you want a "crash course" in all arenas and to make some good connections via their network of grantees, shelters & rescues, it can be a good place to commit a year to if you can survive the management issues. They pay well for animal welfare with good benefits, which often gets people to stay longer.

Cons

You will hear the motto "the only constant is change" on repeat at this place - which is a shoddy guise for being a hot mess. They tout being a "start up" which is a joke as they were founded in 2006. It is yet another buzzword they use to excuse the constant turnover and zero direction of the place. You'll quickly learn that the entire issue is a trickle down effect from the egomaniac of an executive director who only gives her employees enough rope to hang themselves. She'd rather keep the company in a constant state of chaos so she can point a finger every time something falls apart (which is often), and to protect herself from any blame to the founder & benefactor Dr. Michelson (who by the way - no one has contact with besides her.) They claim to be innovators, yet give no department or project enough runway to ever get off the ground successfully (see above re: the ED). Be prepared to be shot down quickly and constantly on any ideas your experience brings to the table. The Culver Adopt & Shop facility is stunning and an incredible cause - the rescue portion runs quite well overall, but with unhappy staff and management struggling under an ED that has zero retail experience and no trust in her staff.

Advice to Management

Look around - it's not normal to have such a high turnover and such low morale. Every employee joins FA because they love animals and what they do - and they leave miserable. Each of your many department's issues stem from the same place, so perhaps start communicating and allowing staff to shine with the skills you hired them for. The "change" could actually bring some success and longevity to a struggling company. Listen to your retail staff at the store, and stop hoping for the solution by wasting cash on expensive outside consultants every year - the change needs to happen within first.

Dec 22, 2016 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We are learning and growing as a leadership team and working on moving through change and uncertainty more eloquently which ideally will lead to... More

"Fun Place to Work"

Pros

The mission is the best part of working at Found Animals. We get to be a part of saving shelter pets every day - it is extremely rewarding! Found Animals also offers great perks. They offer monthly massages, catered lunches, potlucks, happy hours, monthly employee activities, and you can bring your pet to work with you! They also pay almost all of the employee medical, dental, and vision benefits.

Cons

There has not always been great communication between leadership and the staff. No organization is perfect but Found Animals, in the recent months, seems to be trying to improve upon this. There is also a lot of change that happens here. Programs and initiatives are innovative and happen quickly. Those who don't view change as an opportunity to learn and grow will not do well in the fast paced environment.

Advice to Management

Keep moving in the direction you are going. Keep the lines of communication open and be transparent. We have the same vision, let's keep working towards it together.

Dec 22, 2016 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for your feedback “Fun Place to Work”. Michelson Found Animals is just that, we work hard and play hard while doing amazing things to save pets lives.

You are right, we have gone... More

"Poor Upper Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marina del Rey, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marina del Rey, CA

I worked at Michelson Found Animals Foundation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Colleagues are passionate about animal welfare and empathetic to animals. The opportunity to save animals from homelessness and seeing dogs and cats find adopters thanks to your efforts made the job worth it.

Cons

The biggest challenge at Found Animals is being led by Aimee Gilbreath, who is a psychopathic narcissist incapable of trusting any employee to get the job done that they were hired to do. Aimee often undercuts employees in meetings, treats employees disrespectfully and takes credit for others accomplishments. Upper management lacks transparency, lacks proper communication, and lacks strategic direction.

Advice to Management

Replace executive director with someone capable of working with others, someone empathetic to people not only animals, and someone who can execute strategic plans.

Dec 22, 2016 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for your taking the time to provide a review. I agree, we do have an amazing group of employees who are passionate about our mission to save pets lives. We agree that transparency and... More

"Okay"

Former Employee - Volunteer in Lakewood, CA
    Former Employee - Volunteer in Lakewood, CA

Pros

I volunteered at the lakewood store for about four years, I loved taking care of the animals

Cons

The staff is very unfriendly, This was the reason I left. The staff is very rude to volunteers and treats most of them like they dont know what they are doing. There is alot of favoritism too.

Advice to Management

Get organized

Dec 22, 2016 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for the feedback. It is unfortunate your volunteer experience was less than stellar. We appreciate all of our volunteers and could not run our Adopt & Shop locations without people like... More