Michigan House of Representatives Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Communications Manager"

Current Employee - Communications Manager in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Communications Manager in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Michigan House of Representatives full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great experience if you want to work in politics. I've learned so much. Great benefits

Cons

Wage gap between senior staff and the rest of the staff is laughable and there is absolutely no morale.

Advice to Management

Pay employees what they are worth. Invest in them and support them in furthering their careers, maybe they will stay longer.

2. "Legislative Aide"

Former Employee - Aide in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Aide in Lansing, MI

I worked at Michigan House of Representatives (More than a year)

Pros

It's a good place to work right out of school. After a year or so, you will have a decent idea how Lansing works if you pay any attention at all. Plus, as people move in and out of senior positions and the private sector, you have a lot of chances to meet people from various places/business/sectors

Cons

Let's face the facts. Many Reps would be hard pressed to walk and chew gum, so expecting them to run an efficient office is pretty tough to imagine. If you are lucky you will get hired my a competent (or at least fun) boss, and then move to central staff or committee staff quickly.

Advice to Management

End term limits - It's killing you guys.

3. "Too much favoritism and no communication."

Former Employee - Receptionist in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Lansing, MI

I worked at Michigan House of Representatives full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learn a lot about then legislative process. For the most part I had great coworkers. Pay was decent. Every fall we got a raise. Having the major holidays off. Not having to work weekends, evenings or overtime. Earned vacation time quickly. Most of the time the office was pretty laid back and quiet.

Cons

Director didn't not communicate and was very closed off to most employees. Except her "chosen few". Couldn't move up or be promoted. Nothing to do in office. Was told to surf the web if I had finished all of my duties for the day. A couple coworkers were bad apples. They didn't want to help out at all. If they had to help they were upset about it and had an attitude.

Advice to Management

Listen to your other employees. Not just your favorites. Assign projects to keep workers busy and make them feel useful.

4. "State Representative"

Former Employee - State Representative in Plainwell, MI
    Former Employee - State Representative in Plainwell, MI

I worked at Michigan House of Representatives full-time

Pros

Good opportunity to serve the people in your district. Very good salary and compensation package.

Cons

Heavy amount of political posturing and manipulation. Disgraceful abuse of power for personal and political gain.

Advice to Management

Add checks and balances to limit the abuse of power within the legislature.

"A stinking pustule on Michigan's backside. But a great place to work, if you're in the Majority."

Former Employee - Legislative Staffer in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Legislative Staffer in Lansing, MI

I worked at Michigan House of Representatives full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is some good work to be done on behalf of your constituents, if you want to get knee-deep in DHS or UIA casework.

An excellent place to get greased-in and baptized into the political process. The wining and dining have their place in the process, and the choice tail is constantly being replenished from MSU.

Cons

You'll start drinking. A) because of low pay, B) wining and dining (see above), C) insane bosses, D) Treacherous co-workers setting up traps so that you fail.

Advice to Management

Have uniform standards for all 110 member offices. These tyrants come in and think that they are above labor laws and abuse their staff for X years. That is why turnover is so low - because the work environment is absolute garbage.

6. "Great place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Michigan House of Representatives full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The Michigan House is a great place for all types of politicos and non-politicos to get a foot hold in a career in politics. Whether a policy wonk, driven to help constituents or want a chance to build a resume and move to higher aspirations, this is a great place to learn, grow and be part of the legislative process in Michigan.

Cons

Hours can be long during peak times.

Advice to Management

Say "Thank You" more often to all staff - the little things mean the most.

7. "Legislative Assistant"

Former Employee - Legislative Assistant in Lansing, MI

I worked at Michigan House of Representatives full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Enjoyed being part of the process; ability to assist in empowering people; meeting new people; energized environment

Cons

Term limits seemed to put a hinderence on getting things done. Legislators didn't work as hard as they once did

8. "A complicated place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

I worked at Michigan House of Representatives full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good networking opportunities, fast-paced work environment, good benefits

Cons

No work-life balance, no room for advancement, salary is miserably low, no cohesion between offices and Human Resources, political figures are allowed to make business decisions

Advice to Management

Separate the office of Business Director from the Speaker of the House. There is a difference between a political appointee and an employee of the state.

"Very stressful job, with terrible management, dirty politics, and poor compensation."

Former Employee - Legislative Assistant in Lansing, MI

Pros

Good entry level experience. You get to gain experience in communication, public relations, customer service and of course politics and government affairs. If you are passionate about politics and government then this would be a good place to start your career, but definitely not build a career.

Cons

Working conditions vary greatly depending on office. Management depends entirely on one person and most of the Reps have absolutely no experience managing staff. Their are a lot of dirty politics that goes on as well. Representatives and the minority and majority leader force their staff to contribute money to the caucus as well as up to 20 days of their own time off. So basically while you do get time off, it is required to be devoted to door to door campaigns. I was sick and was forced to go to work multiple times because my boss wanted to make sure 100 percent of my time off went to door to door campaigning. If you don't contribute the money or don't fulfill the 20 days (or more) of walk time then you are threatened with being let go. Additionally there are a lot of dirty politics that goes on. In my office, political work was completed in the office, which is against federal laws. Some bosses forced their staff to do political/ fundraising work in the office despite the staffs hesitation because it was illegal. I ultimately left because I morally didn't agree with the tasks my boss was requiring me to do since I did not want to break the law by managing her fundraising in the HOB. I am not saying that all offices are like this, but I would say that it was the majority and everyone knows who does it but nobody works to reform it. Work life balance can also be very difficult. the Reps depend on you to be available 100 percent of the time and be able to provide what they want the minute they want it. The pay is awful-there is no other way to put it. This is not a job you go into to make money. I know many staffers who have law degrees and make less than 30,000 a year.

Advice to Management

There needs to be more staff protection from non partisan team of policies and procedures. Need to reform the way they require staff to contribute to political campaigns. I also believe a non partisan team should have some presence in individual office management, since too much power is in the hands of one person, the Representatives

"Communications Manager"

Former Employee - Communications Manager in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Communications Manager in Lansing, MI

Pros

Cons

No cons! Great group of writers and editors -- Everyone is hard working, passionate, and charismatic. Great environment to learn about Michigan's state government, current legislature, and public policy.