Michigan Int'l Speedway Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Roger Curtis
1 Rating

1. "well rounded experience and friendly co-workers"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, MI

I worked at Michigan Int'l Speedway (Less than a year)

Pros

fast paced work experience and a great team based job experience

Cons

none that I can think of

2. "Good Summer Job for College Summer Vacations"

Former Employee - Sign Shop/Entertainment Team Member in Brooklyn, MI
    Former Employee - Sign Shop/Entertainment Team Member in Brooklyn, MI

I worked at Michigan Int'l Speedway full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Full time plus time and a half after 40 hrs/week. Lots of freedom, sometimes too much. I learned how to operate some vehicles that I've never touched before; Fork lift, tele-handler, man lift, bucket truck.

Cons

Not enough pay for the work. I would bust my (hind quarters) potting up tents and moving tables and I was being paid just over minimum wage. Starting wage was 7.50, went up to 8.50 with the minimum wage increase, .25 raise every year.

3. "A very fun place to work, but not the best pay."

Pros

A very fun, fast paced atmosphere with good personalities all around

Cons

Not much room for advancement, lack of communication and respect between administration and maintenance (which can be a big deal considering maintenance handles practically everything in-house, a very minimal amount of things are outsourced.)
    Employees should be paid more than they are for their efforts, but some might believe the fun atmosphere would make up for the low compensation.

Advice to Management

Increase appreciation and communication across departments, offer monetary incentives for good performance

5. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, MI

Pros

Very friendly staff members in every department from the track president all the way down to the guys who cut the grass. Great summer job opportunity for college students.

Cons

I never felt like I had any opportunity to advance and the pay was pretty terrible. Some managers and department heads seemed to only have their job because the knew the right guy or they were related to someone high up.

6. "Everyone wants the job, but it is still a job..."

Current Employee - Corporate Partnerships
    Current Employee - Corporate Partnerships

Pros

MIS is a great family type division, but the pressure to sell tickets is high. At the time the office was dominated by single executives or those with no kids. But it has changed. The folks who were more free stayed long hours and had more success. Overall, pretty supportive, but lots of stress for a place that only hosts two or three big events yearly.

Cons

At the time, the president was not very friendly, the new president seems great. There was not much emphasis on learning and getting better, just more productive. For new person more mentoring is needed, but the time never seemed to be available for the training process. The poerks are great though,. the staff can travel and see other events to try and find sponsors for the facility.

Advice to Management

The things you have intitiated are great lately. Keep the focus local. All event planning is mostly local in nature. The folks who will travel in from far away are motivated, but the folks who are an hour or two away have more local events to draw their attention. Harder to get someone from two hours away than a dedicated fan from ten hours away. So the focus must be local in nature and the experience must be bigger or better or different than anything within one hours drive.