Michigan Office Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Michigan Office Solutions Reviews

Updated Sep 16, 2019

Michigan Office Solutions CEO Paul Hartley
Paul Hartley
Pros
  • "One of my favorite things about MOS is that you are given the opportunity for development(in 11 reviews)

• "The work/life balance is very good(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "The fifth major problem is the cost of the MOS solution(in 11 reviews)

• "The largest issue at MOS is in upper management(in 6 reviews)

"Great opportunity for both learning and earning"

Current Employee - Sales in Novi, MI

I have been working at Michigan Office Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

One of my favorite things about MOS is that you are given the opportunity for development. In the past couple years, they have implemented a 6 month Mentorship Program as well as a year-long Leadership Development Program. These programs are available to people from all positions in the company. There has been a good mix of people from all positions in these programs (service techs, sales reps, administrative,... and IT). Both programs have helped me succeed in my current position, and have prepared me well for promotions in the future. The work/life balance is very good. The expectation of working 8-5 M-F is the norm, and working any extra outside of that just increases the chances to succeed. There is an uncapped commission structure with a reasonable base salary. You have the ability to make a lot of money quickly if you are willing to work hard. You also get a car allowance that increases if you exceed your quotas. There is an annual President’s Club trip that sends top performers and a guest on an all expenses paid trip to a destination spot (last year was Costa Rica). The President (Paul) really cares about his team members and the success of the company. He is sincere and wants to get to know each employee on a personal level. Despite being based out of Grand Rapids, he is in Novi at least every other week making his rounds, attending meetings, going on ride days with sales reps and basically doing whatever is needed to help us succeed. There aren’t many companies of this size that the top leadership executives make themselves as available as here. I have recommended joining this company to numerous people and those that have joined have been happy they did.

Cons

This is truly a “you get out of it what you put into it” business. If you aren’t able to be self-motivated, this probably isn’t the best job for you.

Michigan Office Solutions2019-01-30
  2. "Career"

Current Employee - Account Representative in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Michigan Office Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

You will gain great sales experience

Cons

Not much room for growth

Michigan Office Solutions2019-09-16
  3. "Lies"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Michigan Office Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexibility and work life balance

Cons

Over promised commission potential, high turn over and poor leadership

Advice to Management

Be honest about the income potential of geos and the turnover rates

Michigan Office Solutions2019-09-02
  4. "Sales"

Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Michigan Office Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good people and fun culture

Cons

Pay could be better, benefits lacking

Michigan Office Solutions2019-03-04

"I knew something was off about this place when interviewing... turns out I was right."

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Michigan Office Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are some really great and talented people who work here, and it is a shame they got tricked into working there with you. I will admit there is nice flexibility in the job that allows you to get your work done when you need to.

Cons

First, if you are a potential candidate thinking about applying for a job at any company, and you reviews that are highly detailed and seem to be honest portrayals, believe them to be a true experience for that person. I think looking at other reviews for MOS, you can see that several people mention similar experiences and frustrations as to why they were disappointed with the time they spent at MOS. Frustrations... with management, carved out sales territories, convoluted sales commissions, empty promises, etc. seem to be very common threads. You may also notice that these reviews are articulate and clearly written by someone who is a smart, talented, and an educated person of the world. I would like to consider myself to be one of those people as well. I had some serious doubts when I went in to receive a job offer from MOS, but the smooth talking managers made it seem like it would all work out to benefit me. Then when I mentioned I would have to think about it, they doubled the forgivable draw package, and that made it seem like how could I lose? So I squashed those feelings of doubt down and accepted the position with enthusiasm. Then when I started, it was hard to find any sales person who had worked there for more than a year. No joke. Even while I was in the interview process of less than a month, there was another opening that popped up on the sales team I was getting hired on to. Then while in the 6 week training period, more people left. There are about 50-60 people in sales at MOS for the state. The few major account reps that had been there longer than a year joked that at the mid-year and annual meetings it was always a game to see how many new faces there would be. So I had already began working and tried to tell myself I just needed to work as hard as I normally would in a job and I would be fine. Nope. Working hard does not necessarily correlate with how much money you make. There is always something that they can find to pay you less on the commission, and the managers are not willing to stand up for you. So while you are out trying to make sales, your managers are sitting in their office looking for inspirational videos or quotes to prep for their next meeting. Then if you struggle, they tell you that you just aren't cold calling enough rather than actually offering to help you create a competitive offer that will win over your prospects. I began to think it might be because they aren't really sure how to do it either! Also, when someone leaves the company, managers really do talk trash about that person, as I am sure they did when I quit. Not really a positive experience when you worked side by side with the person they are talking trash about and know it isn't true. It is said as almost an abusive warning, "Man, X employee really wasn't good at such and such, however, I know you would never do that, right?" So like another reviewer mentioned, there will be a response from MOS that sounds like all I wrote was lies. However, I would like to offer up my experience in hopes that you may not fall victim to the sweet talk like I did. I made enough sales to stay off the hit list, but not as much money as they make it sound like you will. I regret working here in the sense that I didn't really learn anything to better myself as a person and as an employee. However, I do not regret meeting the people that I worked with, and I wish the ones that remain well. So my advice to you as a potential candidate would be to compare the honest reviews against the "OMG I love working here it is the best!!!" reviews that don't offer a great deal of detail as to why or how they have been able to be successful. Truly I would like to have known myself how to be successful at MOS! I would still be there today if I hadn't of found something at another company that is a better long-term fit.

Advice to Management

Well, over half of your sales people aren't even hitting their monthly quotas. Perhaps take a long hard look as to why you are allowing this to happen. Instead of blaming the sales people, look internally to see what you should be doing differently to help fix this so that everyone can be successful. I could have seen myself staying at MOS for a long time, but unfortunately I couldn't continue to afford working... there. Paul is an awesome CEO. MOS is lucky to have him, but I would like to see him make some positive changes. Once the previous CEO lets go enough to let him.

Michigan Office Solutions2019-01-18
  6. "It's a job"

I worked at Michigan Office Solutions full-time

Pros

Short commute Interesting product Friendly colleagues

Cons

Low pay Unqualified management Office politics

Michigan Office Solutions2018-12-01

"Work hard"

Current Employee - Sales in Novi, MI

Pros

Uncapped Commission. Reps have the opportunity to run their own business. No need to work outrageous hours but top reps typically go above and beyond by choice. The company provides the tools to be successful but it is really up to the rep to make it happen. Some reviews talk about poor leadership: First, I disagree. I have worked here for the past 5 years and most reasonable recommendations that I make to upper... management are considered or acted upon and upper management is flexible. Second, this is sales and if you rely on your manager or executives to make you successful, you are in the wrong career. Personally, as long as they stay out of the way and help me when I need them (which they do) things will be great.

Cons

If you don't sell much then you won't make much money or be happy. Guarantee 95% of negative reviews are from people who were less than 70% of goals.

Advice to Management

Continue to put a high level of focus on retaining top talent.

Michigan Office Solutions2018-07-09

July 11, 2018Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your review. Your insight into the nature of MOS Sales is spot on. We appreciate your service to MOS and look forward to a successful future together.

"Remote Support Analyst"

Current Employee - Remote Support Tech RST in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Michigan Office Solutions full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very helpful team to get one oriented. Organized, which in this fast-paced environment is a great asset. The systems in place are rock-solid and efficient. Management takes each individual into account, and are surprisingly approachable and eager to help.

Cons

Fast-Paced! must be able to multi-task, however, there is plenty of support to get one up to speed, and after a week, I felt confident to start taking calls.

Michigan Office Solutions2018-05-17

July 11, 2018Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your response. We are pleased that you recognized our cultural values to treat every individual as a valued employee of MOS.

"A good stepping stone, but don't expect long term success."

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Michigan Office Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The long weeks of training try to pack as much as possible into a tight time frame. If you are a new sales rep, this will benefit you the most. You learn a lot, but it’s a challenge to absorb it all. If you are looking to get into sales, this is a great place to start. Just understand it is a challenge to put it all together. The work life balance is amazing. Not many people work weekends or past 5pm, except... some key members of admin that really have no choice because they have to work longer hours because their departments have been stripped. There are good quality people who work here as well. Many of them are in admin or service, but there are some top-notch sales people as well. It makes coming into the office very enjoyable. The benefits are very good as well. They take advantage of the Xerox buying power to get above average benefits. PTO is a bit stingy and the organization is very much a by the book organization. This is both a good and bad thing.

Cons

The first major problem is that the company doesn't invest in their admin teams like they do sales. I don't mind all the sales events and incentives they are always giving out to the sales team. The problem is when they cut into admin teams to the point where they can't function. When people leave, they don't rehire for the job. I felt the worst for salaried employees whom the company rode the hardest. Many... salaried admin people worked longer hours to make up for the difference when someone wasn't rehired. I watched numerous projects, like a CRM upgrade project that is sorely needed, take a backseat to just keeping the machine running. Other projects halted for more than a year while the company continued to hire sales people. I remember when the leadership at the company stand up meetings would say that admin is there to help clear the way for sales to do their jobs. Now, admin is in no condition to do that. The second major problem is that the organization is buoyed by a few sales people who make all the money, and many other sales people are left struggling. This causes all the new sales people who are fighting for scraps to leave for greener pastures. The territories are carved up to the point where I heard many sales people complain about how unfair it is. You can't look for new business in other territories, because if you do, it goes to that main salesperson anyway. Some of these other sales people are given territories that set them up for success. This favoritism is just one example of something that needs to change. The third major problem is that the sales managers and leadership are stuck in the 1980s style of management. The managers do a great job at driving their top talent to other companies or even competitors. This is especially true of sales management and the former president, who is still in charge even though he took a new position within Xerox. The leadership disparages former employees and say that they were trash after they leave, and that doesn’t help matters either. The fourth major problem are the comp plans. The organization throws you into the field with a ramped comp plan as a new rep or a regular comp plan as a existing rep. The comp plan is over six pages long and has a variety of loopholes and conditions. I didn’t know it at first, but these rules are in place to take compensation from the rep in some way, shape, or form. I would work hard to get appointments, do assessments, and propose solutions only to not get the rates that my comp plan expects me to get which means they take over half of what I should make. Who makes the money? The sales managers, and there are a lot of them. The fifth major problem is the cost of the MOS solution. The organization’s solutions are more expensive than their competitors. So when we have to go head to head against our rivals, they beat us more often than we win. Lastly, there is a major problem with the way the company promotes internally. There are some career advancement opportunities here, but it doesn't always happen with the right people. Sometimes, the less qualified people get promoted. I have seen some very qualified people be stuck in their positions because the company just decided to keep them in their current jobs because they are good at them. It makes sense from the company perspective. Why promote when they are good and you would have to hire someone new and train them up? I have seen many people get stuck in positions waiting for new jobs to open up, and then the jobs are pulled from them. The promotions just don’t come very often. There are instances of the right people being promoted, but it’s rare. When I left the company, I left knowing that the company has seen its better days come and go. This is no joke.

Advice to Management

Put more focus into development of your admin teams. They keep the wheels turning just as much as your sales team does. I understand that sales teams are valuable, but your admin team works behind the scenes and should be rewarded. At least to the point where they have enough people to do their jobs and make forward progress. Get out of the 1980s style of leadership. Treat your employees like adults. Don’t... disparage former employees when they leave. In the end, there are reasons why people are leaving. Acknowledge your shortfalls and adjust accordingly. Give the sales people equal opportunity to succeed and remove the comp plan loopholes that don’t benefit the sales reps. This is printer sales, so don’t make it harder than it has to be to make money. The only reason why the comp plans are so convoluted is to cause confusion and try to find ways to not pay on deals that sales people work so hard to get. Reduce the cost of the MOS solutions. There is a reason why customers are leaving MOS and taking their business to competitors. The responses that you see pop up at the bottom of these reviews is by marketing. The company deeply cares about what former employees say. The organization encourages employees to put in positive reviews, but this backfired in some cases because negative reviews popped up. Stop spending money on things like the “101 best and brightest companies” award, which is a marketing tool that the company pays for. Instead of trying to mask things, how about making some changes to improve things at the company.

Michigan Office Solutions2018-04-22

May 3, 2018Vice President of Human Resources

We appreciate the time you took to share this response. We'd like the opportunity to offer some counter perspective for readers of this review. It is true, our sales professionals are incentivized more than other roles within the organization. As with all sales roles this is a common business practice due of the nature of the role. Sales people, more than any other role within an organization, deal with rejection. For that reason alone, most people elect not to be in sales. It takes the right mix of “will and skill” with our sales people to work with prospective clients and identify the right solutions. Sales incentives are built to reward those who can deliver this value to our clients. MOS prides itself for achieving Best and Brightest award for the last nine years running. The criteria for this honor is: “The Best and Brightest Companies to Work For® competition identifies and honors companies that deliver exceptional human resource practices and an impressive commitment to their employees. Organizations are assessed based on random employee survey results and categories such as communication, work-life balance, employee education, diversity, recognition, retention and more.” Additionally, we're a company that doesn't spend more than it makes. Which means, at times we need to shift project priorities in order to make sure our teams are working on activities that provide the greatest return on their time and energy. As such, there are occasional projects that get put on the back burner in order to keep us on track. We are proud of this strategy because it is what keeps us in business. As start-ups and other companies go out of business for burning more cash than they make, we focus on keeping our financials healthy. This benefits hundreds of our employees and their families to ensure we'll be around when our competitors are not. Finally, as was pointed out in this review, our benefits are excellent, our leadership is consistent and the work-life balance is top-notch, too. No business is perfect and the work we do isn't easy. That's why we're really proud of the hard working team at MOS who supports one another and make it a wonderful place to come to work each day.

"just not good"

Current Employee - Sales in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Michigan Office Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Small car allowance once a month for a little extra quick cash. Occasional beers.

Cons

Wow, where to begin... Very fake culture, and scary business tactics. Very poor reputation in west Michigan... losing accounts left and right. Everyone around here talks about the next deal we are going to lose. Most of the accounts in my territory are former MOS customers that will never work with us again so there's no need to call on them. Most everything at this company is a 'con'. I gotta get out of here.

Advice to Management

Kind of need a 'reset' button. It's too late.

Michigan Office Solutions2018-05-04

July 11, 2018Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your response. A vast majority of our customers and employees are highly satisfied with MOS. Our business has continued to thrive for more than 60 years and we look forward to having many more years of success.

Found 64 reviews