Michigan Office Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Michigan Office Solutions Reviews

Updated Sep 16, 2019

Michigan Office Solutions CEO Paul Hartley
Paul Hartley

"Understand the company and the business they are into. Great experience, tough market."

I have been working at Michigan Office Solutions full-time

Pros

- Work/Life balance - 8a-5p hours - Internal promotion - Friendly Environment - Community involvement

Cons

- Most management seems blinded by the 1980's style leadership. Not all, but some management needs to be replaced by individuals with a better understanding of today's world - Base salary is below state average - Benefits aren't that great

Advice to Management

Develop a sense for today's style of leadership. Having a better understanding of emotional intelligence would improve the employee satisfaction. There are some who are great at this but there are also some departments that are truly lacking, suffering, and won't improve until you improve the management of that department. Just because individuals have been with the company a long time doesn't mean they are good for... the company to have.This is a great company to gain experience from. Hopefully the management will improve.

Michigan Office Solutions2017-03-29

"Sinking Ship"

Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Michigan Office Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You have a lot of freedom with your time. There is very little real supervision of what you do day to day.

Cons

Your manager at MOS will be cracking the whip and demanding certain levels of activity which is to be expected in any sales role. However when the "plan" is from 1987 and has not changed or adapted to today's business climate that can be problematic. While MOS was once a leader in the market and had some unique value it has been surpassed by its competition. The leadership of this company seems to have its... head stuck in the sand and stuck in times past when they were a market leader. The company cannot keep its accounts if you are a sales rep the most frightening thing in the world is when you find out that there is going to be competition in one of your accounts because that means 1 of 2 things... 1. You WILL lose that account or 2. You will make next NO MONEY. There was once a time at MOS when the expectation of attaining quota as an individual was a realistic thing, but now if you are not one of the top 3 or 4 reps this is an absolute pipe dream. To make a long story short if you are looking to start a sales career don't fall prey to this company... They will lie to you in the interview process and sell you on all of the potential. You really have to ask yourself why are there always so many openings and why cant they get top talent anymore? Answer: Scroll down through the Glassdoor reviews and it will become clear. This is not a place where anyone should work... including the current employees.

Advice to Management

Really nothing to add here it would only be redundant to all of the other posts and they wouldn't listen anyway.

Michigan Office Solutions2017-04-27

"Growing company promises plenty of opportunities!"

I have been working at Michigan Office Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I've been with MOS for about 6 years. I came from a competitor and was immediately impressed with how MOS still conducts themselves as a family run organization, while having the backing of Xerox. In six years, I've earned 3 promotions and watched my career grow with this company; adding new offices around the state, new sales roles, specialist roles, management & director roles on a consistent basis. This is a... results-based company where those who are willing to out work the competition and hold themselves accountable to a higher standard are rewarded accordingly, and that's what I love about MOS! It's also why I got into Sales. I've seen too many sales companies bogged down in politics and entitlement, blocking newcomers from true opportunity. That has been the opposite of my MOS experience!

Cons

You have to be wired to compete in a true business to business world. This means getting in front of people, getting some rejection along the way before you break through. It's tough, definitely not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Continue to work towards constant improvement and staying in front of the industry.

Michigan Office Solutions2017-03-14

"Account Executive"

I worked at Michigan Office Solutions full-time

Pros

Management in certain areas are good

Cons

Very old fashion company culture

Advice to Management

Be open to new ideas

Michigan Office Solutions2017-04-14

"Career black hole"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Michigan Office Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

MOS has a national brand to work with in Xerox. Colleagues are generally nice. If you are young and want to start in sales you can go here to cut your teeth for a year or two max and get to a company that actually cares about your future.

Cons

easily the worst experience I ever had in an employer while in sales. Why? Let me count the ways. First, management style is straight out of 1994. What does that mean? It means a phone and a phone book. There were literally no tools to speak of to help like a CRM, a premium LI account, or demand generation tools. This company is built on legacy accounts and it is my opinion that senior mgt doesn't care about... new employees. They hire sales ppl without planning long term. I felt they really didn't care if someone succeeded or not. Not once did anyone ask me how it was going or if I had the tools to succeed. If you struggle - it's all on you - as it can never be senior sales leadership. They are too brilliant. That's what I found here. They try to gloss over these really bad glassdoor reviews with facebook pictures of happy reps and I feel I owe it to unsuspecting Michigan candidates to tell my experiences. This place was a personal and professional black hole because of the non-caring senior sales management. if you have no other choice to put food on your table go ahead and take the job - but consider yourself warned.

Advice to Management

you won't believe this because of your arrogance but perception is reality. the perception of many is you don't care and I don't have advice for you because it won't be read by mgt - I hope this is read by potential sales candidates instead

Michigan Office Solutions2017-04-01

"OK Compnay, Just Know What You're Getting in to"

Former Employee - Account Representative in Novi, MI

I worked at Michigan Office Solutions full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you want to be in sales this is an OK place to start. Seems like a lot of people love or hate this place but it's really just alright. You get to work regular hours, 8-5 most days and there are a couple company wide meetings per year where they spend a lot of money on their employees. Training is good and ongoing while you're there. You have the benefit of selling a well known brand, Xerox. If you are lucky... enough to get a good sales territory you will make decent money. Benefits are alright.

Cons

Far too many meetings, most of them just rah-rah kind of stuff like management trying to convince you how great the company is. Not a ton of support from anyone above lower middle management. You have to drive your own car (they usually don't mention that in the interviews) and the allowance is basically just enough to cover gas. Internal communication is poor. Make sure you get everything you want in writing with... the offer, otherwise you probably wont get it. The worst thing about this job is how poorly divided the sales territories are. You will see sales people who are not very good making huge commissions because they have giant office buildings in their territory. Meanwhile, some good sales people will be making nothing as their territory is nothing but old, half abandoned, industrial buildings. Basically, a lot of your success will depend on the area they give you to sell in. Limited opportunities for advancement, not a place I could see having a long term career.

Advice to Management

Fix the sales territories so there is less discrepancy in sales potential. Give potential employees the whole story up front and listen to what they want.

Michigan Office Solutions2016-11-12
  7. "Great company to work for"

Former Employee - 360 Assessment Specialist in Novi, MI

I worked at Michigan Office Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

MOS provides each and every person the opportunity to succeed in sales. Go-getters especially. When first starting I knew very little about this industry, but as I progressed I found a large amount of purpose and satisfaction leveraging the strengths of MOS to distinguish myself from competitors. Which resulted in a great income and a promotion (career advancement opportunities are ample here).

Cons

This type of sales environment will weed out individuals without a strong work ethic, however, those who wish to succeed will.

Advice to Management

The morale around the office is through the roof, keep doing what you're doing!

Michigan Office Solutions2016-10-05

"Over a year later, and I still feel compelled to spread the word"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Walker, MI

I worked at Michigan Office Solutions full-time for less than a year

Pros

This company would be marginally better than collecting public assistance checks from the government. I give work/life balance 5 stars, because once you resign yourself to the fact this is a dead end job, you can do whatever you want until you leave. The key is not caring one iota about what your manager says.

Cons

Main product line = a business commodity that nobody cares about Technical (IT) resources = obsolete leadership = incompetent compensation structure = complete bull honesty and integrity = never met him

Advice to Management

You should write a confession letter to senior leaders at Xerox/ GIS about your level of incompetence, and resign. You are actively recruiting professionals to a company that will be nothing but a blemish on their career history. You know deep down, the level of incompetence you exercise in running this business, and you lie to candidates about it during the interview process. You should resign in shame.

Michigan Office Solutions2016-10-21

"Pathetic"

I worked at Michigan Office Solutions

Pros

Very hard to think of any. It really is a joke.

Cons

It all starts from the top. From arrogant president of the company to some of the weasels in the warehouse. You have to laugh at all the people that are scared to death of management. As usual, people in Management that will say they want to hear your ideas but of course will not listen. Human resources is no different, I will not mention names. To many meetings that produce nothing, to much money that is spent... on lunches, yet pay their employees terrible wages. And yes Mr. President, I know you are reading this, because you need acceptance, not from me. They think they are running a top secret technology company, for God's sake, its only copiers. They make the business process way more complicated than what it should be. All in all, don't waste your time. At first they will try and suck you in promising this and that, but give it time.

Advice to Management

It would go in one ear and out the other anyways.

Michigan Office Solutions2016-10-19

"More, More, More... We fixed it!"

Sales Consultant in Jenison, MI

I worked at Michigan Office Solutions for more than 8 years

Pros

MOS has very nice mini vans that their copier repair techs drive. The building is very clean and spacious.

Cons

The old saying goes that the fish rots from the head down. Not at MOS the problem is never at the top. Based on the behavior of top leadership the this fish rots from middle management down. The answer to all of your problems will be solved by a last minute and poorly prepared for Friday meeting only to be followed by a nonsensical phone blitz. Problem solved. We now can keep our clients and gets some new ones... right? Wait no. This once good company is falling into disrepair because of the lack of engagement by the leadership, 1980's thinking, and the idea that the answer to every problem is "MORE". You have a revenue problem... hire more sales reps. You have a competitive disadvantage add more cost. You have a management problem add more managers. You have a leadership problem add more VP's. More, more, more!!!! What has happened is quite remarkable more has gotten you less. Less loyalty, less revenue, less tenure, and fewer customers. Did I for forget more fees? Yes we have those. And once the customers figure out that those fees are on the invoices they really like it. After all who doesn't like paying fees only to be coached on how the terms and conditions allow us to do that to you? A desperate company in an industry that is highly competitive and trying to hold on for dear life while it's larger competitors are devouring their once loyal customers. If you think this is over the top just stop a local MOS rep and ask them.

Advice to Management

Not much. According to you it is an amazing place to work and you are feeding a lot of families in Michigan. But if you do want to seriously fix problems try actually executing an open discussion meeting. I doubt you will though because preaching candor and actually fostering it is two different things. Candor: Freedom from prejudice or malice. I doubt you have it in you.

Michigan Office Solutions2016-06-13