Michigan State University Federal Credit Union Reviews

Updated Aug 11, 2020

Michigan State University Federal Credit Union President and CEO April Clobes
April Clobes
Pros
  • "Great benefits and fair compensation(in 19 reviews)

• "Everyone says it, but it's actually true - MSUFCU is an amazing company to work for(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Absolutely no work-life balance; lack of diversity(in 4 reviews)

• "powerless, and very concerned about my future as a POC at MSUFCU(in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Just the Best"

5.0
    Current Employee - E-Services Specialist in East Lansing, MI

I have been working at Michigan State University Federal Credit Union full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing benefits, friendly people, good pay, lots and lots of perks. Everyone says it, but it's actually true - MSUFCU is an amazing company to work for.

Cons

There are the usual downsides of customer service, but overall, the Credit Union takes really good care of its employees.

2. "Great student job"

5.0
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in East Lansing, MI

I worked at Michigan State University Federal Credit Union part-time

Pros

Worked great around my schedule

Cons

Pay is often not based on meritocracy

3. "Mostly good"

4.0

I have been working at Michigan State University Federal Credit Union full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good benefits and 401k match. Co-workers are great

Cons

Expectations are inconsistent based on employee even when performing the same job at the same level. It can be difficult to get a direct answer about how to get merit increases or promoted.

4. "Not a BIPOC-friendly environment / IT leadership is toxic"

1.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Lansing, MI

I worked at Michigan State University Federal Credit Union full-time for more than a year

Pros

The medical benefits were excellent.

Cons

In my first all-IT team meeting as a full-time employee, I scanned the room of approximately 100 IT employees and I saw a sea of mostly white people. There were very few BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, People of Color) in the room. As a POC, I found this uncomfortable and disturbing. I wondered to myself why nearly everyone in the room was white and male. Eventually, I became outspoken about the lack of diversity and inclusion on the team and I shared my concerns with IT leadership on a regular basis. IT leadership unsatisfactorily, inappropriately, and unprofessionally responded to my concerns with: defensiveness, apathy, silence, deflection, debate, insensitivity, and gaslighting. I wondered daily why the department was bursting at the seams with clueless white people and why, when I pointed this out to management as a highly problematic issue, they responded with a number of inappropriate excuses including "a lot of our (white) employees are blissfully ignorant and we can't expect to change them." The more I talked to white leadership, the more it became apparent to me that they didn’t perceive reality the same way I did as a POC and, from my perspective, they lacked the ability to adequately navigate interactions with BIPOC employees. As a POC, I experienced cultural insensitivity and microaggressions from white leadership and white co-workers that left me feeling alienated, “other,” powerless, and very concerned about my future as a POC at MSUFCU. There was no one in leadership that I could look up to or from whom I could seek mentorship and help. I left MSUFCU because I was undervalued and unsupported as a person of color on a majority-white team that demonstrated an ongoing lack of awareness and interest about issues pertaining to white privilege, diversity, inclusion, cultural sensitivity, and institutional challenges faced by BIPOC.

Michigan State University Federal Credit Union Response

August 12, 2020HR Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your experiences as a former employee. It is important that organizations, like MSUFCU, take time to reflect on ways we can continue to do better. We are all responsible for change and improving the lives of people in our communities. We are very proud of our Board, leaders, and employees for their commitment to our core value of Cultivating Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion and the steps that have been taken to eradicate racism, discrimination, and unfair treatment of any individual. Ultimately, it is our goal and belief that an organization where all are welcome and able to bring their full selves to work, creates a positive work environment and stronger organization. While we wish we could change the experiences that affected you personally, we want to take a moment to provide an update on some recent initiatives that have spurred great discussion among employees and leaders. In partnership with our Employee Resource Groups, we hosted several open forums about the recent racial injustice for George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, and others across our nation. These forums offered an open space for those to share their feelings and ways that the Credit Union and its employees can help provide support and a platform for change. Here are a few of the many ideas that came out of these meetings. The African American Employee Resource Group helped collect and provide anti-racism resources to our employees that included books, podcasts, and articles to help employees embrace and learn ways to be anti-racist. The IT team worked diligently on the intranet for the organization to provide the optional use of pronouns on employee profile pages. Also, the HR team published its annual Equal Employment Opportunity report for all employees to view that includes much of the information you referenced. Among many actions the Credit Union is actively working on, here are a few examples of ways we are continuing to increase diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts across the Credit Union: • Recruiting for a Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion • Formation of a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Council • Rebranding Credit-Union clothing into gender neutral options • Identifying opportunities to enhance the recruiting process to attract and retain BIPOC employees, including those in the IT space. This includes sourcing tactics, community partnerships, and assessing inclusion-specific interview questions. • Building on our current DEI trainings, forums, or other support systems for employees and leaders • Enhancing ways employees access information related to Employee Resource Groups • Tracking and reporting on engagement levels across various groups including to ensure a positive workplace experience for all Our intent is to enhance the diversity, equity, and inclusion of the organization and we continue to look for ways to provide opportunities for all people. We will continue our efforts, invite the perspectives of our employees, and commit to seeking ongoing growth, learning, and understanding in this important time of change. We move forward with optimism that change and growth will occur in all of our communities.

5. "MSUFCU Review"

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in East Lansing, MI

I worked at Michigan State University Federal Credit Union part-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome colleagues, flexible hours to work around college classes, decent pay

Cons

Working on weekends is required for teller positions

6. "Low pay"

Former Employee - Call Center in East Lansing, MI

Pros

Good benefits and nice coworkers

Cons

Low pay and no room for advancement

7. "SOLID EMPLOYER OVERALL"

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in East Lansing, MI

I have been working at Michigan State University Federal Credit Union full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits- biggest advantage of working there, great PTO, insurance and 401k benefits

Cons

Harder to move up in the organization that they make it seem

Continue reading
  8. "Very stressful work environment, unrealistic expectations put on employees, and lack of compensation."

Former Employee - Loan Officer in Branch, AR

I worked at Michigan State University Federal Credit Union full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Looks good on resume, when applying for other jobs. Best not to plan on staying long term. Keep searching for better opportunities if you choose to accept an offer. Benefit package is good, but is used as an excuse not to pay a fair hourly wage.

Cons

The postive culture is not as it appears. The executive leaders are more concerned with growth and asset size than doing what is best for the membership and employees. Branding, marketing, and lots of money spent to maintain the "MSUFCU Brand". The organization could be really great if executive leaders truly cared about the membership and employees. Rather than protecting the fake brand it maintains.

9. "Not for me"

Former Employee - Branch Manager

I worked at Michigan State University Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

Many opportunities to advance your career

Cons

Absolutely no work-life balance; lack of diversity

"Not the most positive company to work for like they claim"

Former Employee - Loan Officer in East Lansing, MI

Pros

Good benefits, full time employment

Cons

They come across like a very positive company to work for, but working in branches was very stressful. Require employees to do too much for not enough pay (example: being a teller, loan officer, training new employees, running a vault, doing audits, processing home equities, all while being expected to donate money and time for various causes). They increased their base pay but didn't increase pay across the board, with 5 years expirience I was training someone brand new to the company with no banking expirience who was getting paid more than me. Very hard to move departments internally as well.

Found 107 reviews