Michigan State University Federal Credit Union Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
April Clobes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Michigan State University Federal Credit Union is a great place to work (in 4 reviews)

• Management are yes men, they cannot think for themselves (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great Company!"

I have been working at Michigan State University Federal Credit Union part-time

Pros

Friendly and welcoming atmosphere
    Give back to the community
    No "nickel and diming" members

Cons

There really aren't any cons to working here

2. "Great"

Former Employee - Marketing in East Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Marketing in East Lansing, MI

I worked at Michigan State University Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits and the culture are second to none!

Cons

Growing fast - Not necessarily a con, but it comes with some problems.

3. "Meh"

Former Employee - Financial Service Representative II in East Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Financial Service Representative II in East Lansing, MI

I worked at Michigan State University Federal Credit Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Positive and friendly culture. Members love MSUFCU. Made coming to work very enjoyable.

Cons

Don't violate a company policy or you will be terminated immediately. No warnings or writeups.

4. "A Wonderful Place to Work"

Current Employee - Loan Officer in Mason, MI
    Current Employee - Loan Officer in Mason, MI

I have been working at Michigan State University Federal Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You'll be surrounded by truly caring people who strive to do their very best for members and fellow employees. The extremely generous benefits (Medical/Dental/Vision/401K) are hard to match anywhere else. The upward mobility is strong. Concerns and suggestions are taken seriously and given proper attention. The organization actually cares about you!

Cons

Salary is not great, mostly as a bi-product of having such wonderful benefits. Management has chosen to take care of our needs, rather than our wants. I think that's a fair approach.

I also think some of the member-facing departments are a bit understaffed.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. Keep hiring great people!

5. "Super progressive company that cares about employees well-being"

Current Employee - Eservices in East Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Eservices in East Lansing, MI

Pros

PTO, health benefits, vision and dental benefits, 401k match after the first year, tuition reimbursement, paid sick days, great volunteer events around community

Cons

There's not very many cons about the job. Michigan State University Federal Credit Union is a great place to work.

6. "eServices"

I have been working at Michigan State University Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

Really great place to work. They prepare you so well in training which is great because I dont feel like most jobs give you that confidence.

Cons

Schedule can be kind of funky working one Saturday a month. Have an early day where you come in at 7:45 and then a late day where you would come in around 10:30 but stay until 7:15.

"Micro managers make it hard to advance"

I have been working at Michigan State University Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

Excellent Benefits and the 401k match is super impressive. Co-workers are friendly and it makes the work environment very friendly.

Cons

Management tells you they want you to be proactive in your learning and career path but then continues to push you in a way that you may not necessarily wish to go. Then when it comes to review for promotion, you don't meet the requirements for next level because management pushed you in an opposite direction.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to micro manage everyone. Everyone says they want us to advance in our positions but then try to make us all be the exact same like a cookie cutter. Don't just base promotions off of the Job Descriptions when you make it impossible for a person to achieve all the requirements to advance to the next level.

"A good opportunity, especially if you're in for the long haul"

I worked at Michigan State University Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

Overall a good environment to work in. The benefits are great, and if you have a family to insure, there's no comparison with other companies. Expectations are consistent, the open-door policy makes things feel more fair than most places, lots of availability for training. This is more "traditional" work environment that values a college degree and climbing your way up from the bottom, and rewards those who stick around longer (particular in terms of the 401K match).

Cons

Can be catty/political as people stretch for the higher-paying positions. If you're trying to climb the ladder without a degree, expect a much slower climb than your collegiate counterparts.

Advice to Management

MSUFCU has sought to evolve with the times and so far done a good job - don't stop now!

9. "Call Center Specialist"

Current Employee - Call Center Representative in East Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Call Center Representative in East Lansing, MI

I have been working at Michigan State University Federal Credit Union part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great job to have while in school, geared to seeing growth in you personally and professionally, great benefits, works well with schedule, easy to move around and learn more in the company

Cons

I personally don't see any cons.

Advice to Management

N/a

"Happily Employed for 2+ Years"

I have been working at Michigan State University Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

MSU Federal Credit Union is committed to its employees, members, and the communities that they are located in. I have worked at prior Financial Institutions that have been very sales oriented and was always put down when I did not meet goals, at MSUFCU it is not this way-Management creates a healthy work environment that motivates employees to do their best, so that they can provide the best to the Members.

Health care is fantastic, pay is competitive, and time off is fair.

Cons

Applying for different positions within the Credit Union can be difficult, especially highly sought after positions that generate a lot of internal interest. However, I do feel that Management is fair in selecting the best candidate for the position.

Advice to Management

Continue providing superior service to not only our Membership, but also the employees! Help them reach their dreams and goals, and give them the tools required (such as internal position promotions) that will help them achieve.