Michigan State University Federal Credit Union Reviews | Glassdoor

Michigan State University Federal Credit Union Reviews

Updated 8 Oct 2019

4.3
Michigan State University Federal Credit Union CEO April Clobes  (no image)
April Clobes
  1. Featured Review

"The Best Place To Work"

Current Employee - Call Center Loan Officer II in East Lansing, MI

I have been working at Michigan State University Federal Credit Union full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The culture here is amazing. The environment is so positive and supportive. The people here genuinely care about the work we do and care about each other and the success of the organization as a whole. The community outreach is incredible. As an employee I am able to volunteer inside or outside of work hours and can sometimes be paid for it. It allows me the opportunity to volunteer with the Credit Union in a number... of different capacities to support community initiatives and organizations that I am passionate about. The benefits package is unrivaled. We do not pay for our health, dental, or vision insurance and there is no deductible. The 401K match is 2 to 1. But overall I love coming to work everyday because I feel valued, respected, and ultimately I feel like I make a difference in the lives of our members and in the community through my work at MSUFCU

Cons

I don't have really any cons to working here. If I had to pick something I would say a con is that I have to work every 3rd Saturday which can be inconvenient but I still love coming to work even on a Saturday.

Michigan State University Federal Credit Union2019-09-19
  2. "Amazing"

Current Employee - Loan Officer in East Lansing, MI

Pros

Benefits, time off, coworkers, executive level

Cons

There is nothing that I can think of

Michigan State University Federal Credit Union2019-10-08
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

4. "Great experience and opportunity"

Current Employee - Branch Lead

I have been working at Michigan State University Federal Credit Union full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fair salary, many opportunities, great training, positive culture

Cons

The CU is growing much larger and the small town feel goes away slightly with that

Michigan State University Federal Credit Union2019-09-20
  5. "Amazing Benefits. Great Culture. Average Pay."

Current Employee - Financial Service Representative II

I have been working at Michigan State University Federal Credit Union full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fantastic benefits package, including 2:1 401k match and a no deductible no premium health care plan. Great culture with good training and advancement in the first 1-2 years on the job. The credit union is always striving to push their employees to learn more and continue their career advancement at the credit union which is nice to see. Love that our goals are centered around helping members. The stats we track... aren't directly about making the CU money, rather saving our members on interest they may have had to pay elsewhere by offering lower rates, or by earning them dividends with our different savings products. I understand how these do benifit the CU still, but I like that the goals are more tailored to helping our members, it enhances the enviornment and culture of the workplace.

Cons

While the benefits are among the best in the market(probably the best), the pay side of compensation leaves a little to be desired. When looking at other financial institutions in the Metro-Detroit Area it definitely feels as if MSUFCU is in the bottom third when it comes to hourly and salary pay for branch employees. The credit union has lost a few very good employees in this area due to the lower pay scale. There... are quite a few people in this area who take on a second job to help their families and households get by which I do not feel should be the case for a skilled and trained full time employee of such a large institution. Quarterly 'bonus' for CU hitting goals for Interest Saved and Dividends earned for member is great in theory however the $75 doesnt feel like a whole lot and somewhat a slap in the face. Would like if that was increased to an amount that felt more impactful for employees.

Advice to Management

Continue pushing employees to learn and grow within their position and allowing them to grow within the credit union, this is greatly appreciated by your employees.

Michigan State University Federal Credit Union2019-09-09
  6. "Good Work Environment"

Former Employee - Loan Officer

I worked at Michigan State University Federal Credit Union full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly Coworkers, Good Work Environment, Feel like you are helping people, Great Benefits

Cons

Pay is alright but not the best

Michigan State University Federal Credit Union2019-07-20
  7. "Great place to work overall."

Current Employee - Call Center Specialist II

Pros

Great benefits, great employees, community involvement is strong.

Cons

Rate of pay, work/life balance.

Michigan State University Federal Credit Union2019-06-30
  8. "Amazing Company"

I have been working at Michigan State University Federal Credit Union full-time for less than a year

Pros

Inclusive, positive culture where it seems as though everyone exists to help you succeed.

Cons

Occasional Saturday work, but you get a day off the week you have to work a Saturday

Michigan State University Federal Credit Union2019-06-17
  9. "Amazing"

Pros

People want to learn and grow and work together. There are no lead anchors that hate being here. Very positive environment. Easy to talk to management including C levels. Great benefits and fair compensation. Very protective and supportive of employees.

Cons

Not the place for folks who don't thrive on smiling and being kind and gentle. No work from home for IT dept.

Advice to Management

Keep up on the culture and continue the momentum toward improved processes.

Michigan State University Federal Credit Union2019-06-01

"IT jobs for experienced employees not good"

Former Employee - Database Architect in East Lansing, MI

I worked at Michigan State University Federal Credit Union full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits and PTO time are good

Cons

No processes. No documentation. No one knows how all the main systems work. Non-IT people running department. You get a PTO day a pay period but unscheduled time off is frowned upon.

Advice to Management

Have an IT audit done to make recommendations for improvements

Michigan State University Federal Credit Union2019-03-22

"Positive Culture, Wonderful Place to Work"

Current Employee - Trainer

Pros

I've worked for a variety of other companies in the Lansing area, and MSUFCU has by far been the best. No work place is going to be perfect, but the average day here is great, and I have many days where I leave work feeling excited and inspired. The culture that they promote is not just kool-aid, people truly live it and promote it genuinely. Some will try to say otherwise, but their are nay-sayers everywhere in... every organization. The overwhelming majority of people and leaders here are caring and forward thinking. Employees truly care about the members they serve, and superior service is the focus. This type of environment is exactly what I have wanted in a workplace. Not only that, but the benefits and nuances to the organization are great. Leaders have taken what I say into account with decision making, and I feel they truly value opinions at all levels.

Cons

For some, the salary does not seem as competitive. In my line of work and the work I've seen of most positions, the salaries have been comparable to other organizations, especially organizations in the area. Not everyone likes the fun culture and the additional activities that the credit union offers ("time wasters") but I think the best, most advanced workplaces know the value of having fun at work. It inspires... creativity and collaboration. Lastly, I think some may say there are not as many career advancement opportunities, and while there are of course only so many management positions available at any given time, the organization does a lot to invest in the personal/professional development of the employees. Tons of training/shadowing opportunities, committees to take leadership in, budgets available for professional development, leadership development programs, and stipend opportunities.

Advice to Management

Keep taking employee feedback into account, and keep focusing on living our core values.

Michigan State University Federal Credit Union2019-02-25