Michigan State University Federal Credit Union Reviews | Glassdoor

Michigan State University Federal Credit Union Reviews

Updated 9 Sep 2019

Found 94 reviews

4.3
Michigan State University Federal Credit Union CEO April Clobes  (no image)
April Clobes

"Very friendly place to work, like a family."

Former Employee - Associate in East Lansing, MI

I worked at Michigan State University Federal Credit Union full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you are a real talent, MSUFCU promotes you quickly. Accounting and Finance department has good associates. Very friendly place to work.

Cons

In most cases, you will have to start with entry level position and pay is not that good, no matter what background you have.

Advice to Management

Training program is good. Way to go.

Michigan State University Federal Credit Union2017-10-11
  2. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Michigan State University Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

This company provides a lot of support and has great health benefits.

Cons

One has to be a very vocal advocate for themselves in order to get promoted.

Michigan State University Federal Credit Union2017-09-18

"**GREAT PLACE TO WORK**"

Current Employee - Loan Officer in East Lansing, MI

I have been working at Michigan State University Federal Credit Union full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are a lot of great things about MSU Federal Credit Union. The environment that we work in though is one of the best, i am surrounded by amazing people who all have the same goals, which is to help the member with anything and everything they need, that we can of course. You are constantly learning new things and management is very involved with your career path and helping you find what is the best area for... you to be in. They are extremely involved with the community and work with a lot of different charities. The benefits are pretty awesome well, and its very nice to really not have to worry about that. Overall its a wonderful company and i would recommend it to anyone that is very passionate, hard working, patient and truly wants to help others.

Cons

I would say that the pay bands there are pretty low, this is the only thing that makes it a little bit harder for me personally. But a great place to build yourself and get amazing opportunities within the company or outside of it.

Michigan State University Federal Credit Union2017-08-13
  4. "Awesome Company"

Pros

I absolutely love the culture here at the Credit Union. We strive, every day, to provide superior service to our members, and I feel like my manager really cares about me and my development. The benefits are amazing, and I couldn't draw up a better place to work. We make dreams come true every day, and I just love the passion of our employees!

Cons

I don't have any cons. :)

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on empowering the employees. Keep trusting us to do the right thing for the members and the organization.

Michigan State University Federal Credit Union2017-07-27

"Work your way up to a career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Lansing, MI

I have been working at Michigan State University Federal Credit Union full-time for less than a year

Pros

-MSUFCU is a fantastic company that encourages its employees with a "hire from within" philosophy. Nearly everyone hires in as a Financial Services Rep, Call Center Specialist or eServices Specialist; but put your passion to work in one of those positions to start and the sky is the limit. Our CEO started her career here as a Marketing Specialist in her 20s. There are regular Pre-Management groups and Management... Development group opportunities available. If Management isn't your style, we do as much as we possibly can in-house (which includes Visa Specialists, Information Technology, Accounting, Loss Prevention, etc.); so there are a ton of other departments available for you to explore career paths in. -Benefits are pretty top-notch (401K 1:2 match up to 5% currently (you put in 5%, MSUFCU puts in 10%), eligible to earn 26 PTO days to start, health insurance is great, etc)

Cons

-Starting pay as an FSR, Call Center or eServices Specialist could be better since we try to attract college grads, but the earning potential is there if you're interested in working hard and/ or overtime. -Easy to see that the Management work/ life balance is hard and we constantly need to hire more managers to try to fill positions since we're always evolving -Back office dress code could be more relaxed... (meaning nearly everyone not working in a Branch or that regularly interacts with members face-to-face) -Would be nice to have option to work from home/ remotely occasionally. Only managers and certain roles have laptops, but there are some projects that could easily be done from home in some departments. Sure, member information and confidentiality is important, but if someone cannot be trusted with information and discretion at home, can they be trusted at work still?

Michigan State University Federal Credit Union2017-07-20
  6. "Great Employer"

I have been working at Michigan State University Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

Great empowerment opportunities for employees

Cons

I can't think of anything

Michigan State University Federal Credit Union2017-07-23
  7. "Great right out of college"

I worked at Michigan State University Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

Healthcare, pay, friendly people, regular hours.

Cons

They promote yes men only. They didn't promote real talent.

Advice to Management

Try to keep your good employees and promote them. Give your employees more money, not "gifts."

Michigan State University Federal Credit Union2017-07-29

"Back Office"

I have been working at Michigan State University Federal Credit Union full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits are amazing. I think this contributes to the lower turnover. Coworkers are great and help make the challenging parts of the job so much more tolerable. What we are doing for the members is so valuable, and we have financial services that are truly the best around.

Cons

You will not succeed or grow if you challenge the status quo here. Management prefers employees who are quiet, smile, and don't challenge anything. Merit will not get you promoted, but being an amicable and quiet person will get you much farther. Overall, it's still a cushy workplace with some schedule flexibility but you're expected to work weekends and nights. Management, especially upper management, creates an... "us vs you" culture and will not engage with you if other upper management or management employees are around. (Perhaps they aren't on our level). Lastly, management will not accept responsibility for any of their faults and will pass it on to employees. There isn't strong employee advocacy here.

Michigan State University Federal Credit Union2017-05-22
  9. "Seems pretty cool so far!"

Branch in East Lansing, MI

I have been working at Michigan State University Federal Credit Union

Pros

Great benefits! The overall culture seems fun and they seem to have great career opportunities.

Cons

Pay could be better, for it being a college geared organization, it could be more relaxed about dress code and overall environment.

Michigan State University Federal Credit Union2017-05-22
  10. "Call Center Specialist"

Former Employee - Call Center in East Lansing, MI

I worked at Michigan State University Federal Credit Union full-time for more than a year

Pros

- AMAZING company to work for - Management is very hands-on in a good way - Great training program - Lots of opportunity - Small gym in building - Cafeteria to use - Friendly staff - Overtime available per your choosing

Cons

- Slightly understaffed - Phone calls were often hostile, but it is a call center - Hours ranged from 6:45am-9:15pm depending on your daily schedule

Advice to Management

You guys are awesome, keep it up!

Michigan State University Federal Credit Union2017-05-10