KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Michigan State University Federal Credit Union

Engaged Employer

Michigan State University Federal Credit Union

Add a Review

Michigan State University Federal Credit Union Employee Reviews about "msufcu"

Updated Jul 28, 2020

Found 15 of over 147 reviews

4.5
Michigan State University Federal Credit Union President and CEO April Clobes
April Clobes
Pros
  • "Great company, great benefits and great people(in 21 reviews)

• "Everyone says it, but it's actually true - MSUFCU is an amazing company to work for(in 11 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Absolutely no work-life balance; lack of diversity(in 4 reviews)

• "powerless, and very concerned about my future as a POC at MSUFCU(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "msufcu"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Just the Best

Feb 12, 2020 - E-Services Specialist in East Lansing, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing benefits, friendly people, good pay, lots and lots of perks. Everyone says it, but it's actually true - MSUFCU is an amazing company to work for.

Cons

There are the usual downsides of customer service, but overall, the Credit Union takes really good care of its employees.

2 people found this review helpful
    2. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Not a BIPOC-friendly environment / IT leadership is toxic

Jul 28, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in East Lansing, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

The medical benefits were excellent.

Cons

In my first all-IT team meeting as a full-time employee, I scanned the room of approximately 100 IT employees and I saw a sea of mostly white people. There were very few BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, People of Color) in the room. As a POC, I found this uncomfortable and disturbing. I wondered to myself why nearly everyone in the room was white and male. Eventually, I became outspoken about the lack of diversity and inclusion on the team and I shared my concerns with IT leadership on a regular basis. IT leadership unsatisfactorily, inappropriately, and unprofessionally responded to my concerns with: defensiveness, apathy, silence, deflection, debate, insensitivity, and gaslighting. I wondered daily why the department was bursting at the seams with clueless white people and why, when I pointed this out to management as a highly problematic issue, they responded with a number of inappropriate excuses including "a lot of our (white) employees are blissfully ignorant and we can't expect to change them." The more I talked to white leadership, the more it became apparent to me that they didn’t perceive reality the same way I did as a POC and, from my perspective, they lacked the ability to adequately navigate interactions with BIPOC employees. As a POC, I experienced cultural insensitivity and microaggressions from white leadership and white co-workers that left me feeling alienated, “other,” powerless, and very concerned about my future as a POC at MSUFCU. There was no one in leadership that I could look up to or from whom I could seek mentorship and help. I left MSUFCU because I was undervalued and unsupported as a person of color on a majority-white team that demonstrated an ongoing lack of awareness and interest about issues pertaining to white privilege, diversity, inclusion, cultural sensitivity, and institutional challenges faced by BIPOC.

1 person found this review helpful

Michigan State University Federal Credit Union Response

HR Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your experiences as a former employee. It is important that organizations, like MSUFCU, take time to reflect on ways we can continue to do better. We are all responsible for change and improving the lives of people in our communities. We are very proud of our Board, leaders, and employees for their commitment to our core value of Cultivating Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion and the steps that have been taken to eradicate racism, discrimination, and unfair treatment of any individual. Ultimately, it is our goal and belief that an organization where all are welcome and able to bring their full selves to work, creates a positive work environment and stronger organization. While we wish we could change the experiences that affected you personally, we want to take a moment to provide an update on some recent initiatives that have spurred great discussion among employees and leaders. In partnership with our Employee Resource Groups, we hosted several open forums about the recent racial injustice for George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, and others across our nation. These forums offered an open space for those to share their feelings and ways that the Credit Union and its employees can help provide support and a platform for change. Here are a few of the many ideas that came out of these meetings. The African American Employee Resource Group helped collect and provide anti-racism resources to our employees that included books, podcasts, and articles to help employees embrace and learn ways to be anti-racist. The IT team worked diligently on the intranet for the organization to provide the optional use of pronouns on employee profile pages. Also, the HR team published its annual Equal Employment Opportunity report for all employees to view that includes much of the information you referenced. Among many actions the Credit Union is actively working on, here are a few examples of ways we are continuing to increase diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts across the Credit Union: • Recruiting for a Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion • Formation of a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Council • Rebranding Credit-Union clothing into gender neutral options • Identifying opportunities to enhance the recruiting process to attract and retain BIPOC employees, including those in the IT space. This includes sourcing tactics, community partnerships, and assessing inclusion-specific interview questions. • Building on our current DEI trainings, forums, or other support systems for employees and leaders • Enhancing ways employees access information related to Employee Resource Groups • Tracking and reporting on engagement levels across various groups including to ensure a positive workplace experience for all Our intent is to enhance the diversity, equity, and inclusion of the organization and we continue to look for ways to provide opportunities for all people. We will continue our efforts, invite the perspectives of our employees, and commit to seeking ongoing growth, learning, and understanding in this important time of change. We move forward with optimism that change and growth will occur in all of our communities.

3. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Very stressful work environment, unrealistic expectations put on employees, and lack of compensation.

Dec 26, 2019 - Loan Officer in Branch, AR
      Business Outlook

Pros

Looks good on resume, when applying for other jobs. Best not to plan on staying long term. Keep searching for better opportunities if you choose to accept an offer. Benefit package is good, but is used as an excuse not to pay a fair hourly wage.

Cons

The postive culture is not as it appears. The executive leaders are more concerned with growth and asset size than doing what is best for the membership and employees. Branding, marketing, and lots of money spent to maintain the "MSUFCU Brand". The organization could be really great if executive leaders truly cared about the membership and employees. Rather than protecting the fake brand it maintains.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

The Best Place To Work

Sep 19, 2019 - Call Center Loan Officer II in East Lansing, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

The culture here is amazing. The environment is so positive and supportive. The people here genuinely care about the work we do and care about each other and the success of the organization as a whole. The community outreach is incredible. As an employee I am able to volunteer inside or outside of work hours and can sometimes be paid for it. It allows me the opportunity to volunteer with the Credit Union in a number of different capacities to support community initiatives and organizations that I am passionate about. The benefits package is unrivaled. We do not pay for our health, dental, or vision insurance and there is no deductible. The 401K match is 2 to 1. But overall I love coming to work everyday because I feel valued, respected, and ultimately I feel like I make a difference in the lives of our members and in the community through my work at MSUFCU

Cons

I don't have really any cons to working here. If I had to pick something I would say a con is that I have to work every 3rd Saturday which can be inconvenient but I still love coming to work even on a Saturday.

5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Amazing Benefits. Great Culture. Average Pay.

Sep 9, 2019 - Financial Service Representative II
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fantastic benefits package, including 2:1 401k match and a no deductible no premium health care plan. Great culture with good training and advancement in the first 1-2 years on the job. The credit union is always striving to push their employees to learn more and continue their career advancement at the credit union which is nice to see. Love that our goals are centered around helping members. The stats we track aren't directly about making the CU money, rather saving our members on interest they may have had to pay elsewhere by offering lower rates, or by earning them dividends with our different savings products. I understand how these do benifit the CU still, but I like that the goals are more tailored to helping our members, it enhances the enviornment and culture of the workplace.

Cons

While the benefits are among the best in the market(probably the best), the pay side of compensation leaves a little to be desired. When looking at other financial institutions in the Metro-Detroit Area it definitely feels as if MSUFCU is in the bottom third when it comes to hourly and salary pay for branch employees. The credit union has lost a few very good employees in this area due to the lower pay scale. There are quite a few people in this area who take on a second job to help their families and households get by which I do not feel should be the case for a skilled and trained full time employee of such a large institution. Quarterly 'bonus' for CU hitting goals for Interest Saved and Dividends earned for member is great in theory however the $75 doesnt feel like a whole lot and somewhat a slap in the face. Would like if that was increased to an amount that felt more impactful for employees.

1 person found this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Positive Culture, Wonderful Place to Work

Feb 25, 2019 - Trainer
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked for a variety of other companies in the Lansing area, and MSUFCU has by far been the best. No work place is going to be perfect, but the average day here is great, and I have many days where I leave work feeling excited and inspired. The culture that they promote is not just kool-aid, people truly live it and promote it genuinely. Some will try to say otherwise, but their are nay-sayers everywhere in every organization. The overwhelming majority of people and leaders here are caring and forward thinking. Employees truly care about the members they serve, and superior service is the focus. This type of environment is exactly what I have wanted in a workplace. Not only that, but the benefits and nuances to the organization are great. Leaders have taken what I say into account with decision making, and I feel they truly value opinions at all levels.

Cons

For some, the salary does not seem as competitive. In my line of work and the work I've seen of most positions, the salaries have been comparable to other organizations, especially organizations in the area. Not everyone likes the fun culture and the additional activities that the credit union offers ("time wasters") but I think the best, most advanced workplaces know the value of having fun at work. It inspires creativity and collaboration. Lastly, I think some may say there are not as many career advancement opportunities, and while there are of course only so many management positions available at any given time, the organization does a lot to invest in the personal/professional development of the employees. Tons of training/shadowing opportunities, committees to take leadership in, budgets available for professional development, leadership development programs, and stipend opportunities.

3 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

MSUFCU is a great place to work!

Dec 12, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The culture at MSUFCU is awesome- you really feel you’re part of a family. There’s good work/life balance. Promotions and merit increases are based on work and if you do a good job you definitely get recognized. Pay is competitive and benefits are amazing.

Cons

Communication is difficult at such a big organization, but management is constantly looking to improve that and do better.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Safe Deposit / Financial Services Representative

Nov 15, 2018 - FSR1 Safe Dep Representative in East Lansing, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have been working @ MSUFCU for a little over 20years. I so wish i had discovered MSUFCU sooner in life. I am a people person. I love the member interaction, enjoy helping members with their financial situations and providing needed services to them. Its a family friendly atmosphere

Cons

Dont see any cons presently

9. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Meh

Apr 18, 2018 - Financial Service Representative II in East Lansing, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Positive and friendly culture. Members love MSUFCU. Made coming to work very enjoyable.

Cons

Don't violate a company policy or you will be terminated immediately. No warnings or writeups.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee

Happily Employed for 2+ Years

Dec 28, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

MSU Federal Credit Union is committed to its employees, members, and the communities that they are located in. I have worked at prior Financial Institutions that have been very sales oriented and was always put down when I did not meet goals, at MSUFCU it is not this way-Management creates a healthy work environment that motivates employees to do their best, so that they can provide the best to the Members. Health care is fantastic, pay is competitive, and time off is fair.

Cons

Applying for different positions within the Credit Union can be difficult, especially highly sought after positions that generate a lot of internal interest. However, I do feel that Management is fair in selecting the best candidate for the position.

2 people found this review helpful