Michigan State University Federal Credit Union "msufcu" Reviews | Glassdoor

Michigan State University Federal Credit Union Employee Reviews about "msufcu"

Updated Sep 19, 2019

Found 96 reviews

4.3
Michigan State University Federal Credit Union CEO April Clobes  (no image)
April Clobes
Pros
  • "Great benefits and fair compensation(in 18 reviews)

• "I've worked for a variety of other companies in the Lansing area, and MSUFCU has by far been the best(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "But a great place to build yourself and get amazing opportunities within the company or outside of it(in 4 reviews)

• "Management are yes men, they cannot think for themselves(in 4 reviews)

Reviews about "msufcu"

Return to all Reviews

"Positive Culture, Wonderful Place to Work"

Current Employee - Trainer

I have been working at Michigan State University Federal Credit Union full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've worked for a variety of other companies in the Lansing area, and MSUFCU has by far been the best. No work place is going to be perfect, but the average day here is great, and I have many days where I leave work feeling excited and inspired. The culture that they promote is not just kool-aid, people truly live it and promote it genuinely. Some will try to say otherwise, but their are nay-sayers everywhere in... every organization. The overwhelming majority of people and leaders here are caring and forward thinking. Employees truly care about the members they serve, and superior service is the focus. This type of environment is exactly what I have wanted in a workplace. Not only that, but the benefits and nuances to the organization are great. Leaders have taken what I say into account with decision making, and I feel they truly value opinions at all levels.

Cons

For some, the salary does not seem as competitive. In my line of work and the work I've seen of most positions, the salaries have been comparable to other organizations, especially organizations in the area. Not everyone likes the fun culture and the additional activities that the credit union offers ("time wasters") but I think the best, most advanced workplaces know the value of having fun at work. It inspires... creativity and collaboration. Lastly, I think some may say there are not as many career advancement opportunities, and while there are of course only so many management positions available at any given time, the organization does a lot to invest in the personal/professional development of the employees. Tons of training/shadowing opportunities, committees to take leadership in, budgets available for professional development, leadership development programs, and stipend opportunities.

Advice to Management

Keep taking employee feedback into account, and keep focusing on living our core values.

Michigan State University Federal Credit Union2019-02-25
  2. "MSUFCU is a great place to work!"

I have been working at Michigan State University Federal Credit Union full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The culture at MSUFCU is awesome- you really feel you’re part of a family. There’s good work/life balance. Promotions and merit increases are based on work and if you do a good job you definitely get recognized. Pay is competitive and benefits are amazing.

Cons

Communication is difficult at such a big organization, but management is constantly looking to improve that and do better.

Michigan State University Federal Credit Union2018-12-12
  3. "Safe Deposit / Financial Services Representative"

Current Employee - FSR1 Safe Dep Representative in East Lansing, MI

I have been working at Michigan State University Federal Credit Union full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have been working @ MSUFCU for a little over 20years. I so wish i had discovered MSUFCU sooner in life. I am a people person. I love the member interaction, enjoy helping members with their financial situations and providing needed services to them. Its a family friendly atmosphere

Cons

Dont see any cons presently

Advice to Management

Managers care about their coworkers. They do well with mentoring and giving helpful and constructive criticism.

Michigan State University Federal Credit Union2018-11-15
  4. "Meh"

Former Employee - Financial Service Representative II in East Lansing, MI

I worked at Michigan State University Federal Credit Union full-time for less than a year

Pros

Positive and friendly culture. Members love MSUFCU. Made coming to work very enjoyable.

Cons

Don't violate a company policy or you will be terminated immediately. No warnings or writeups.

Michigan State University Federal Credit Union2018-04-19

"Happily Employed for 2+ Years"

I have been working at Michigan State University Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

MSU Federal Credit Union is committed to its employees, members, and the communities that they are located in. I have worked at prior Financial Institutions that have been very sales oriented and was always put down when I did not meet goals, at MSUFCU it is not this way-Management creates a healthy work environment that motivates employees to do their best, so that they can provide the best to the Members. ... Health care is fantastic, pay is competitive, and time off is fair.

Cons

Applying for different positions within the Credit Union can be difficult, especially highly sought after positions that generate a lot of internal interest. However, I do feel that Management is fair in selecting the best candidate for the position.

Advice to Management

Continue providing superior service to not only our Membership, but also the employees! Help them reach their dreams and goals, and give them the tools required (such as internal position promotions) that will help them achieve.

Michigan State University Federal Credit Union2017-12-28

"Very friendly place to work, like a family."

Former Employee - Associate in East Lansing, MI

Pros

If you are a real talent, MSUFCU promotes you quickly. Accounting and Finance department has good associates. Very friendly place to work.

Cons

In most cases, you will have to start with entry level position and pay is not that good, no matter what background you have.

Advice to Management

Training program is good. Way to go.

Michigan State University Federal Credit Union2017-10-11

"Work your way up to a career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Lansing, MI

Pros

-MSUFCU is a fantastic company that encourages its employees with a "hire from within" philosophy. Nearly everyone hires in as a Financial Services Rep, Call Center Specialist or eServices Specialist; but put your passion to work in one of those positions to start and the sky is the limit. Our CEO started her career here as a Marketing Specialist in her 20s. There are regular Pre-Management groups and Management... Development group opportunities available. If Management isn't your style, we do as much as we possibly can in-house (which includes Visa Specialists, Information Technology, Accounting, Loss Prevention, etc.); so there are a ton of other departments available for you to explore career paths in. -Benefits are pretty top-notch (401K 1:2 match up to 5% currently (you put in 5%, MSUFCU puts in 10%), eligible to earn 26 PTO days to start, health insurance is great, etc)

Cons

-Starting pay as an FSR, Call Center or eServices Specialist could be better since we try to attract college grads, but the earning potential is there if you're interested in working hard and/ or overtime. -Easy to see that the Management work/ life balance is hard and we constantly need to hire more managers to try to fill positions since we're always evolving -Back office dress code could be more relaxed... (meaning nearly everyone not working in a Branch or that regularly interacts with members face-to-face) -Would be nice to have option to work from home/ remotely occasionally. Only managers and certain roles have laptops, but there are some projects that could easily be done from home in some departments. Sure, member information and confidentiality is important, but if someone cannot be trusted with information and discretion at home, can they be trusted at work still?

Michigan State University Federal Credit Union2017-07-20
  8. "Amazing Place to Work"

I worked at Michigan State University Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

MSUFCU honestly cares about their employees, members, and the community. They are a great place to work for people who have been in the financial industry and people who are switching career paths.

Cons

There can be a higher turnover rate at times in customer facing positions. Inter-company transitions can be difficult.

Advice to Management

I think management should ensure that their staff all has equal opportunities for advancement and movement without barriers or limitations.

Michigan State University Federal Credit Union2015-12-14

"Only work here if you have no other offers"

I worked at Michigan State University Federal Credit Union full-time for more than a year

Pros

This could be a decent job if you have an art history degree and can't find any other job. They will hire anyone who graduated from college, type of degree doesn't matter. Benefits are decent, but do not make up for lack of salary. The training program is the only redeeming quality at MSUFCU.

Cons

Employees are promoted based upon seniority, not merit. The compensation is a joke compared to any other job you can get with a finance degree. Management contradicts themselves and do not practice what they preach. Incompetent supervisors try to micromanage their staff. A high turn over ratio from people leaving to take better offers leaves vacant positions that end up being filled by incompetent staff.

Advice to Management

Stop granting promotions based upon seniority. Join the 21 century and the rest if corporate America and give promotions based upon merit.

Michigan State University Federal Credit Union2013-11-21