Micro Focus Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Micro Focus Reviews

Updated Oct 20, 2019

3.1
Micro Focus CEO Stephen Murdoch
Stephen Murdoch
  1. "Eh"

Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Micro Focus full-time

Pros

Came with acquisition kept the same sales model

Cons

Old school mentality - legacy style

Micro Focus2019-07-30

August 5, 2019HR

Thank you for your feedback. Following recent acquisitions, we’re working through our integration plans and we’re glad to hear you have found it positive to keep the same sales model through the changes. Micro Focus has always focused on bridging the gap between the old and the new, which may give the impression of having an old-school style as you say. However, we’re building for the future, developing new capabilities and ways of engaging with customers, and continuing to evolve as a company.

"Salary review"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Micro Focus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They have remote and wfh options if you are not based out of California

Cons

After the merger everything went downhill with stock crashes CEO / VP stepping down / leaving the company . Worked overtime no compensation paid and massive layoffs

Advice to Management

Care for your employees

Micro Focus2019-07-12

"Software Renewal"

Current Employee - Software Renewal in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Micro Focus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work from home, adequate vacation and PTO

Cons

System issues with SFDC, FUZE causing crashes on a daily basis; unable to pay sales compensation correctly after 8 months of current FY (last year it took 10 months for compensation true-up); management is not responsive to customer's requests and ignores emails, instant messages and asks to have same requests resent over and over again with no real resolution for the customers; low pay as compared to similar... positions from competing US companies; low morale as good people are leaving Micro Focus.

Advice to Management

Do not mess with people's pay and respond to emails and requests from customers in a professional manner-even if it is just a short sentence of acknowledgement. Do not commit to a new system until all the bugs have been worked out as it affects the functionality and success of the business. There have been numerous instances where the customers are hounding us for invoices to pay their support renewal and we are... unable to generate it due to system issues. Customer's are frustrated and do not understand why Micro Focus do not want to accept their payment. Get rid of management that are not attentive to customer's needs and do not have a focus on growth. Get everyone to accept that they need to get out of their silos and work with others outside their comfort zone to pursue excellence. There are so much opportunities to be better and to encourage changes from within with the loyal and excellent customers that use our products. They love us despite our shortcomings. Let's show them our appreciation by being more professional and fix everything broken...now. No more delays and excuses on delivery to customers, fair and accurate compensation for employees.

Micro Focus2019-07-13

July 23, 2019HR

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We’re glad you enjoy the flexibility of working with Micro Focus. As you know Micro Focus has been going through tremendous change in the last two years as we build a much bigger and stronger business. We’re aware that this has been more challenging in some areas, but we continue to make good progress creating greater stabilization across the company. Some points you mention have been worked through, for example sales compensation updates started in the spring and are continuing throughout the summer. Our Customers are at the heart of everything we do, and we’re always looking at how we can support them better. We’re working on significant programs to provide a simplified and more integrated set of systems and processes that will make it easier for customers to partner with us, and for employees to get their jobs done. We’re addressing issues methodically, but we’re taking note that we need to share more details on these plans to include progress and milestones so that everyone knows what’s coming. Thank you again for your feedback; we will make sure to share with the teams.

"Software Developer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Micro Focus full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Compensation is good. Relaxed WFH policy.

Cons

Pretty much everything else. It was truly a great place for many years. Since the merger almost all good employees have left. The last of the people with product knowledge will be gone very soon. IMO the flagship product will be no more in about a year due solely to poor management decisions. Development decisions are now being made by non-engineers which is turning into a disaster. Would you want a roofer giving... you heart surgery?

Advice to Management

All of these points and more have already been communicated by multiple people to upper management. There is nothing else to say.

Micro Focus2019-07-08

"Great Work/Life Balance, Very Low Pay"

Former Employee - IT Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at Micro Focus full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent middle management in the IT directorship at the time. Great work/life balance and decent benefits. Fairly liberal work from home policy. Great people and an excellent atmosphere.

Cons

Very low pay and salary increases as compared to similar positions in the area. They tend to determine salaries based on the global market so the numbers tend to be on the lower end of the curve in the local market. There is some turnaround on the sales side so lay-offs are normal when the company doesn't meet its quarterly forecasts.

Advice to Management

Be more realistic about pay and determine salaries based on employees' local salary standards.

Micro Focus2019-06-24

July 3, 2019HR

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. It’s good to hear that you enjoyed a good work/life balance at Micro Focus, excellent management and positive team spirit. We know that pay and benefits are an important component of employees’ total rewards and we’re glad you were pleased with our overall benefits. To ensure we’re competitive, we’ve recently updated our salary review methodology and we now use external benchmarks to check that our pay and benefits packages are in line with the market, region by region. If employees have questions about their salaries compared to the local market, they’re encouraged to discuss it with their managers.

"Give it a chance, things are getting much better"

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Boston, MA

I have been working at Micro Focus full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Flexibility , appreciation from the loyalty Amazing technologies You are part of a BU / Product, so culture is around that team.

Cons

slow for changes but we are getting there

Advice to Management

We went to 3 spin and merge from HP to HPE to MF, so it was hard for the people and there was a lot of turn over. The dust is sealing and I can see that the CEO really wants to make things right. You prove the value and he does commit to invest and support. 8 month since the final merge and things are changing for good. I am very optimistic, CEO is very open and have direct line with everyone so it is up to each one... to make things work for better and push for what we believe that is the right thing. So give it a chance, if you work for MF work hard to make it the place that you want it to be, if you are considering look at the technologies and you capacity to learn. Some of the technologies are amazing, Vertica in particular, and you can learn a lot and have access to the amazing customers, defiantly can build your career on what you learn.

Micro Focus2019-06-13

June 18, 2019HR

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We have been through a lot of change recently but it’s stabilising and we’re moving forward. Micro Focus is a dynamic company and we aim to enable colleagues to take ownership and look for opportunities to develop in the way they choose. We’re glad that you agree and that you’re taking advantage of all that the company offers. We also think that we have some pretty exciting technology for our customers.

"Very laid back company"

Current Employee - Senior QA Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Micro Focus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very laid back, no process everyone gets to keep their job whether they work or no.

Cons

no raises no money just people waiting to retire.

Advice to Management

What is the plan?

Micro Focus2019-06-12

June 18, 2019HR

Thank you for your feedback. We hear from many people that Micro Focus is considered a dynamic company which has undergone significant change in recent years, so we’re surprised that you find it to be that laid back. We have a strong company plan in place with clear focus areas for growth but we take note that this can be shared more broadly with colleagues. We believe there are opportunities for those wanting to take on new challenges, and individuals have access to resources and development tools on the intranet to help with their career planning. We encourage you to contact your HR Business Partner to share your concerns or if you need more information.

"Toxic Sales Environment"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Plano, TX

I have been working at Micro Focus full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Some management are fun and engaging. - Sales training is getting better. - Product training is great! - Sales outings and/or events are getting better.

Cons

- Compensation system is non-existent, and most of the time HR doesn't know how to pay you since there is no system or platform used to measure comp. Reps must take out draws to feed their families. This has been an issue the past 3 years I've been here, and no resolution has been put in place yet. - Other sales teams tend to steal your deals during the end of quarters. - Leadership has no real way of solving... problems, consistently band-aiding issues as they continue to go on knowingly. - Management styles are questionable; ranging from downing other sales reps. in front of everyone for not hitting metrics, to pure racist and sexiest comments and activities. - Management chooses favorites for business partners to fed business to while everyone else starves. - Marketing team doesn't know how to spend the marketing budget so sales reps are required to market themselves to customers through weekly marketing activities. - Laptops used to do day-to-day tasks are slow and often times unresponsive due to lack of hardware resources. - Some managers are pure micro-managers that look at you under a microscope. - Current office environment has rats, bugs, and sewage issues which took 3 years for management to make any sort of announcement regarding the working conditions. - The merger caused countless issues related to systems. We have 2 different systems internally which makes it difficult to book orders and progress deals down the sales stages. - No guidance from management on sales training. If you're new you either know how to sell or you don't.

Micro Focus2019-06-04

June 18, 2019HR

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We’re glad you’re pleased about the product training and you’re seeing improvement in sales training and other areas. We’ve taken note of your feedback and we’re working with the teams to help resolve these issues further. Some have already been addressed including sales compensation updates (started in the spring and continuing throughout the summer) and refreshing our laptop estate as we know this is critical in our jobs. We’re very concerned about your comment on management style: Micro Focus has a Code of Conduct all employees must adhere to. It strictly prohibits these types of behaviours, and appropriate actions are taken when incidents are reported to HR. We’re also going through a period of integration, including systems integration, which can be unsettling and frustrating. We have many programmes in place to tackle this and there is progress being made, but we also take note that we need to do more on our side to share with colleagues what is being done.

"Chaos"

Current Employee - Sales Operations Manager

I have been working at Micro Focus full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

decent pay and bonus plan

Cons

total chaos environment, bad systems and clueless managers

Micro Focus2019-05-30

June 10, 2019HR

Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry to hear that you feel Micro Focus is in chaos. We’re going through a period of integration, which comes with intense change and we recognise this can be unsettling. We have many programmes in place to tackle these changes and there’s progress being made, but we also need to do more on our side to share with colleagues what’s being done, so that the feelings of chaos and manager’s not always having the full information are addressed. We’ re also working on sharing more of this information directly with team members.

10. "Micro Focus work experience"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Micro Focus full-time for more than a year

Pros

Steady, stable company with a primary focus on ROI. Increasing lead against competitors in NPS on a variety of fronts.

Cons

Not innovative. Maniacal focus on cost controls. Integration with Hewlett Packard Enterprise systems/people from 2017 merger continues to be a painful process internally.

Advice to Management

Fix the internal systems

Micro Focus2019-05-30