Micro Focus Sales Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 10, 2019

2.4
Micro Focus CEO Stephen Murdoch
Stephen Murdoch
  1. "Great product and staff"

Sales Operations Manager in Concord, MA

I worked at Micro Focus for more than a year

Pros

Customers love the product and employees enjoy the corporate atmosphere. Positive energy environment. Great perks.

Cons

Company was acquired and the corporate culture changed

Micro Focus2016-08-30

"Titanic!"

Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Micro Focus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice people who will be gone soon.

Cons

This company is in serious chaos! Systems don't work, don't integrate and everything is difficult to manage. Payroll system hasn't worked for months. I have never seen any company treat their employees so terribly.

Micro Focus2019-09-04

September 6, 2019HR

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We’ve been through a lot of change recently at Micro Focus and this has been a challenge for some teams, especially as our systems and processes integrate. On our journey to stabilisation, we’re working through any issues that arise. Many issues have been addressed already: it’s fundamental to ensure payroll runs smoothly and the payroll system integration completed this summer. If you have any concerns, please don’t hesitate to discuss it with your manager or HR Business Partner.

3. "Eh"

Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Micro Focus full-time

Pros

Came with acquisition kept the same sales model

Cons

Old school mentality - legacy style

Micro Focus2019-07-30

August 5, 2019HR

Thank you for your feedback. Following recent acquisitions, we’re working through our integration plans and we’re glad to hear you have found it positive to keep the same sales model through the changes. Micro Focus has always focused on bridging the gap between the old and the new, which may give the impression of having an old-school style as you say. However, we’re building for the future, developing new capabilities and ways of engaging with customers, and continuing to evolve as a company.

"Toxic Sales Environment"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Plano, TX

I have been working at Micro Focus full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Some management are fun and engaging. - Sales training is getting better. - Product training is great! - Sales outings and/or events are getting better.

Cons

- Compensation system is non-existent, and most of the time HR doesn't know how to pay you since there is no system or platform used to measure comp. Reps must take out draws to feed their families. This has been an issue the past 3 years I've been here, and no resolution has been put in place yet. - Other sales teams tend to steal your deals during the end of quarters. - Leadership has no real way of solving... problems, consistently band-aiding issues as they continue to go on knowingly. - Management styles are questionable; ranging from downing other sales reps. in front of everyone for not hitting metrics, to pure racist and sexiest comments and activities. - Management chooses favorites for business partners to fed business to while everyone else starves. - Marketing team doesn't know how to spend the marketing budget so sales reps are required to market themselves to customers through weekly marketing activities. - Laptops used to do day-to-day tasks are slow and often times unresponsive due to lack of hardware resources. - Some managers are pure micro-managers that look at you under a microscope. - Current office environment has rats, bugs, and sewage issues which took 3 years for management to make any sort of announcement regarding the working conditions. - The merger caused countless issues related to systems. We have 2 different systems internally which makes it difficult to book orders and progress deals down the sales stages. - No guidance from management on sales training. If you're new you either know how to sell or you don't.

Micro Focus2019-06-04

June 18, 2019HR

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We’re glad you’re pleased about the product training and you’re seeing improvement in sales training and other areas. We’ve taken note of your feedback and we’re working with the teams to help resolve these issues further. Some have already been addressed including sales compensation updates (started in the spring and continuing throughout the summer) and refreshing our laptop estate as we know this is critical in our jobs. We’re very concerned about your comment on management style: Micro Focus has a Code of Conduct all employees must adhere to. It strictly prohibits these types of behaviours, and appropriate actions are taken when incidents are reported to HR. We’re also going through a period of integration, including systems integration, which can be unsettling and frustrating. We have many programmes in place to tackle this and there is progress being made, but we also take note that we need to do more on our side to share with colleagues what is being done.

"Chaos"

Current Employee - Sales Operations Manager

I have been working at Micro Focus full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

decent pay and bonus plan

Cons

total chaos environment, bad systems and clueless managers

Micro Focus2019-05-30

June 10, 2019HR

Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry to hear that you feel Micro Focus is in chaos. We’re going through a period of integration, which comes with intense change and we recognise this can be unsettling. We have many programmes in place to tackle these changes and there’s progress being made, but we also need to do more on our side to share with colleagues what’s being done, so that the feelings of chaos and manager’s not always having the full information are addressed. We’ re also working on sharing more of this information directly with team members.

"HPE was challenging"

Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Micro Focus full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay well and stock had down really well prior to HPE merger

Cons

Pain of HPE software integration caused alot of turnover and uncertainty

Micro Focus2019-02-02

"Don't do sales here unless you have no other software options"

Current Employee - Field Sales

I have been working at Micro Focus full-time for more than a year

Pros

They are mostly honest about who they are - read the earnings reports before going here. EBITA off of legacy stuff that is hard for people to get off of. Some good products and some good people. If I were starting my software career, maybe it is a place to get some experience.

Cons

IMO the focus on pure EBITA (read their earnings reports they are proud of it) rather than customers or great products or culture leads to little fun for sales. When one could be selling, one gets to deal with 1) broken systems 2) audits 3) trying to "save" products 4) contract disagreements 5) customer complaints about #1-4. Little/no voice of the customer. It doesn't seem like improving the products or... customer experience is a concern since developers, product managers, and support seem to keep disappearing without being replaced. Seems like some real churn of the salesforce but I don't know the numbers. I dread being asked for a roadmap. If you take a job here, be sure you have a sizeable install base and pray for expansion as new logos is rough sailing IMO. Selling at a company that wants to grow topline is far more enjoyable and profitable for me. I learned here to look for expanding topline and expanding headcount at the next job. This place seems to be the reverse.

Advice to Management

I don't know what to say. The priority is EBITA and not growing topline/customer/great product... so field sales, product development/marketing, etc. don't really matter much. I guess my advice is be as honest to employees as you are to shareholders and probably less turnover? Changing the direction would be a lot of pain and investment. Seems unlikely.

Micro Focus2019-03-08

"Place where good people and good products go to die"

Former Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA

I worked at Micro Focus full-time

Pros

Employees from the smaller companies that were acquired by MF the only positive aspects of the company. But sadly there are few of them left.

Cons

MF basically is killing off any product lines that are not HP. Management is made up of the good boy system with people who rule with fear. Product growth decisions are totally dysfunctional without any regards to install base. Pay raises are based on where you came from; from HP, no problem; not from HP, forget it. Most folks are just collecting a paycheck until they can find someplace elsewhere.

Advice to Management

No about of money will ever make you respectable in the business world.

Micro Focus2019-02-14

"Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Provo, UT

I worked at Micro Focus full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Safe place to work, job security.

Cons

Too easy, you will not learn about business here. Couldn't grow, needed to leave.

Advice to Management

Use the talent you have. Provo Utah has great people who are only customer service at this point where they once were sales professionals.

Micro Focus2018-12-10

"Lots of change all the time"

District Sales Manager in Cypress, TX

I worked at Micro Focus

Pros

Good location and great people to work with

Cons

Tons of change and all the business units are declining

Micro Focus2018-10-01