Micro Focus Support Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated 3 de Sep 2019

3.2
Micro Focus CEO Stephen Murdoch
Stephen Murdoch

"One of the best work places in Houston"

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Micro Focus full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everyone is treated like an adult, no micromanaging. This company expects you to be professional and it has the most positive environment I have seen. Oh, and the benefits! They are excellent. I will be treating this company like they treat me: like family.

Cons

I have to wake up and get out of bed. Really, that is the only con I can see. I am never in a rush to leave to office because it is so comfortable here.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

Micro Focus2019-03-20

"Good company"

I worked at Micro Focus full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good company if you prefer not to be challenged everyday. Benefits are very decent Good work from home options

Cons

Not a very flat reporting structure, you can go unrecognized by the type of contribution you make. Relatively low compensation structure Very vast array of products and very hard to focus on one Very laid back

Advice to Management

Recognize your top contributing employees Legacy MF/Novell experience is very valued in the market, so ensure your employees are compensated as per the market standards

Micro Focus2019-09-03

Micro Focus Response

September 6, 2019HR

Thank you for your comments and feedback. It’s great to hear you enjoyed the benefits package at Micro Focus and the working from home options. We hear from many people that Micro Focus is considered a dynamic company, so we’re surprised that you found it to be that laid back. We believe there are opportunities for those wanting to take on new challenges, and individuals have access to resources and development tools on the intranet to help with this. We’re also launching a new rewards and recognition program which will further enable colleagues to get recognized for the outstanding contributions they do on a daily basis. Finally, we know that pay and benefits are an important component of our total rewards. To ensure we’re competitive, we use external benchmarks to check that our pay and benefits packages are in line with the market, region by region. Our Rewards focus on recognizing personal and company achievement as well as the opportunity to be a shareholder through equity programs. Put together, we aim to provide a flexible balance and a Rewards approach that supports growth and achievement.

3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"Typical merger and acquisition aches and pains."

I worked at Micro Focus full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some good co-workers. Decent pay. Pretty good benefits. Flexible work schedule.

Cons

Where to start? So many mergers and acquisitions that everything is changing ALL THE TIME. I have had 4 different managers in 18 months time. Product managers have changed 3 times in one year. There are systems in place from mergers over 8 years ago that have still not been integrated and doesn’t look to be integrated anytime soon. Senior management more focused on band-aiding problems rather than actually fixing... them. Most managers have been there so long and all they can do is adjust and adapt, not leaving a lot of room for any actual innovation or progress. No wage increases or career growth. Constant layoffs and recently re-hired many of those that were just laid off. So much turnover because if you survived the cut, you are definitely getting overworked making up for all the cuts. Be warned about all the positive reviews that state "no cons" at all. Even the best companies have their cons. The difference is that those companies actually fix those problems.

Advice to Management

What more can anyone say? Your recent employee surveys have pretty much stated the obvious. Try actually listening and fixing something.

Micro Focus2019-04-01

"Not a pleasant or stable place to work"

I worked at Micro Focus full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Pretty good benefits -Getting a paychck

Cons

-Everything else. -After the numerous mergers and aquisitions, way too many to mention, its really hard to do your job. There are so many systems to try and navigate to find answers regardless of what department you are in. -Unstable working environment where layoffs are constantly occurring. -There is no room for growth either professionally or financially. -You will get more work and responsibility but no... promotion or raise. -The only incentive to do well is that you get to keep you job. -Manegment considers lateral movement an "opportunity" when in reality the only opportunity is the opportunity to keep your job. -Local management is completely complacent. They have been there too long that they're not concerned about fixing any problems. -Management is more worried about making things appear to be all in order so that their jobs are intact. -There is zero company culture because the company is still trying combine all the different philosophies and visions from all the recently acquired and merged companies. -Management is dishonest, untrustworthy and not dependable. If considering employment here, be sure to get all promised compensation and benefits in writing otherwise they will change unexpectedly.

Micro Focus2019-02-11

"Company outlook not good."

Current Employee - Support Engineer in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at Micro Focus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Colleagues and the customers are wonderful. All are very knowledgeable and professional. Everyone is willing to assist you whenever possible.

Cons

Company senior management are out of touch and not focused. They don't give any sense of care or loyalty to their employees. They drive a narrative that says they have the business under control, but it's obvious they don't. As Serena Software, we had hundreds of employees and multiple award winning customer service and support. After the Micro Focus buyout, all those accolades disappeared. Customers lost faith in... the company and renewals are steadily declining.

Advice to Management

Get in touch with the employees and the management staff of those companies you purchased. Actually find out what was the success of the company and empower them to get back to those winning ways. Not only will you have happy employees, but happy customers as well. This will drive revenue and win back loyalty. On the current path, company culture will continue to fall and customers will feel that.

Micro Focus2018-07-21

"Support engineer"

Current Employee - Support Engineer in Provo, UT

I have been working at Micro Focus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Poor work performance isn't penalized

Cons

Ponzi scheme, incompetence in all levels of the organization, constant layoffs.

Advice to Management

Take some time to integrate the companies you are purchasing before you purchase another company.

Micro Focus2018-01-19
  8. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Software Support Engineer

I have been working at Micro Focus full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great benefits. A divers culture.

Cons

Since working here for so long I have not seen any cons working for this company.

Micro Focus2017-11-03
  9. "Great place to be"

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Provo, UT

I have been working at Micro Focus full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work-life balance. They can be flexible with your schedule.

Cons

Don't really have any cons.

Micro Focus2017-04-05

"Sad Ending to a technology leader"

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Scotts Valley, CA

I worked at Micro Focus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Really Smart people who wanted more than anything to have the company succeed.

Cons

Leadership was horrific.. hiring people who were plumbers to be technology managers (yes, I'm serious).

Advice to Management

Give the company a new name, you've destroyed the Borland name long enough.

Micro Focus2015-09-18
  11. "Technical Support"

Technical Support Engineer in Provo, UT

I have been working at Micro Focus for more than 5 years

Pros

Great working environment. I love working with the people there.

Cons

The salary is no longer very competitive for the IT support market. Getting opportunity to progress within the company is difficult.

Micro Focus2015-04-24