Micro Focus Technical Support Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 3, 2019

2.8
Micro Focus CEO Stephen Murdoch
Stephen Murdoch

"One of the best work places in Houston"

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Micro Focus full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everyone is treated like an adult, no micromanaging. This company expects you to be professional and it has the most positive environment I have seen. Oh, and the benefits! They are excellent. I will be treating this company like they treat me: like family.

Cons

I have to wake up and get out of bed. Really, that is the only con I can see. I am never in a rush to leave to office because it is so comfortable here.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

Micro Focus2019-03-20

"Good company"

I worked at Micro Focus full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good company if you prefer not to be challenged everyday. Benefits are very decent Good work from home options

Cons

Not a very flat reporting structure, you can go unrecognized by the type of contribution you make. Relatively low compensation structure Very vast array of products and very hard to focus on one Very laid back

Advice to Management

Recognize your top contributing employees Legacy MF/Novell experience is very valued in the market, so ensure your employees are compensated as per the market standards

Micro Focus2019-09-03

Micro Focus Response

September 6, 2019HR

Thank you for your comments and feedback. It’s great to hear you enjoyed the benefits package at Micro Focus and the working from home options. We hear from many people that Micro Focus is considered a dynamic company, so we’re surprised that you found it to be that laid back. We believe there are opportunities for those wanting to take on new challenges, and individuals have access to resources and development tools on the intranet to help with this. We’re also launching a new rewards and recognition program which will further enable colleagues to get recognized for the outstanding contributions they do on a daily basis. Finally, we know that pay and benefits are an important component of our total rewards. To ensure we’re competitive, we use external benchmarks to check that our pay and benefits packages are in line with the market, region by region. Our Rewards focus on recognizing personal and company achievement as well as the opportunity to be a shareholder through equity programs. Put together, we aim to provide a flexible balance and a Rewards approach that supports growth and achievement.

"Typical merger and acquisition aches and pains."

I worked at Micro Focus full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some good co-workers. Decent pay. Pretty good benefits. Flexible work schedule.

Cons

Where to start? So many mergers and acquisitions that everything is changing ALL THE TIME. I have had 4 different managers in 18 months time. Product managers have changed 3 times in one year. There are systems in place from mergers over 8 years ago that have still not been integrated and doesn’t look to be integrated anytime soon. Senior management more focused on band-aiding problems rather than actually fixing... them. Most managers have been there so long and all they can do is adjust and adapt, not leaving a lot of room for any actual innovation or progress. No wage increases or career growth. Constant layoffs and recently re-hired many of those that were just laid off. So much turnover because if you survived the cut, you are definitely getting overworked making up for all the cuts. Be warned about all the positive reviews that state "no cons" at all. Even the best companies have their cons. The difference is that those companies actually fix those problems.

Advice to Management

What more can anyone say? Your recent employee surveys have pretty much stated the obvious. Try actually listening and fixing something.

Micro Focus2019-04-01

"Not a pleasant or stable place to work"

I worked at Micro Focus full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Pretty good benefits -Getting a paychck

Cons

-Everything else. -After the numerous mergers and aquisitions, way too many to mention, its really hard to do your job. There are so many systems to try and navigate to find answers regardless of what department you are in. -Unstable working environment where layoffs are constantly occurring. -There is no room for growth either professionally or financially. -You will get more work and responsibility but no... promotion or raise. -The only incentive to do well is that you get to keep you job. -Manegment considers lateral movement an "opportunity" when in reality the only opportunity is the opportunity to keep your job. -Local management is completely complacent. They have been there too long that they're not concerned about fixing any problems. -Management is more worried about making things appear to be all in order so that their jobs are intact. -There is zero company culture because the company is still trying combine all the different philosophies and visions from all the recently acquired and merged companies. -Management is dishonest, untrustworthy and not dependable. If considering employment here, be sure to get all promised compensation and benefits in writing otherwise they will change unexpectedly.

Micro Focus2019-02-11
  5. "Great place to be"

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Provo, UT

I have been working at Micro Focus full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work-life balance. They can be flexible with your schedule.

Cons

Don't really have any cons.

Micro Focus2017-04-05

"Sad Ending to a technology leader"

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Scotts Valley, CA

I worked at Micro Focus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Really Smart people who wanted more than anything to have the company succeed.

Cons

Leadership was horrific.. hiring people who were plumbers to be technology managers (yes, I'm serious).

Advice to Management

Give the company a new name, you've destroyed the Borland name long enough.

Micro Focus2015-09-18
  7. "Technical Support"

Technical Support Engineer in Provo, UT

I have been working at Micro Focus for more than 5 years

Pros

Great working environment. I love working with the people there.

Cons

The salary is no longer very competitive for the IT support market. Getting opportunity to progress within the company is difficult.

Micro Focus2015-04-24
  8. "Support Engineer"

Technical Support Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Micro Focus

Pros

Great company to work for with great benefit. Very easy going mgmt.

Cons

No Advancement to to get better opportunity.

Advice to Management

none

Micro Focus2015-04-07
  9. "Very accommodating, but seemingly underpaid for experience."

Associate Technical Support Engineer in Provo, UT

I have been working at Micro Focus

Pros

Very flexible schedule and easy to work with. Work-life balance is terrific, office culture is very inviting and fun - there to learn and get stuff done while having fun attitude. Talented co-workers and mentors to help.

Cons

It's not the best to work for a company that is slowly dying. In my opinion, there are some great ideas that just haven't been executed quite right to gain spotlight (like Novell Filr). Great opportunity for personal growth and enhancing IT skills. Compensation is below average in my opinion.

Advice to Management

Please offer raises to your employees to entice talent to stay.

Micro Focus2014-12-11
  10. "Great company but many changes in short period"

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in San Jose, San Jose

I have been working at Micro Focus full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay better than most national companies; the building is great; team-work is usually great; regional management does an excellent work.

Cons

Building location is horrible, so much traffic in peak hours; so many management changes, still adjusting things after the spin-off with HPE.

Advice to Management

Any at this moment.

Micro Focus2018-08-27