MicroStrategy Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
MicroStrategy Chairman, President, and CEO Michael J. Saylor
Michael J. Saylor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • work life balance is very good there (in 83 reviews)

• Great People to work with and always challenging assignments (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't always give initiatives enough time to see if they work so it can feel like you're changing direction several times a year (in 52 reviews)

• For a company that preaches transparency Microstrategy does not do a good job at all in being transparent with those not in senior management (in 29 reviews)

"Invest in (All) People"

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time

Pros

-Coworkers are smart, easy to get along with
    -Opportunity to work cross-functionally

Cons

-Little meaningful investment in employees: training, compensation. intrinsic rewards, career development
    -Whatever investment is made is concentrated in Sales organization

Advice to Management

-Please cut the fluff. We do not need Food Truck Fridays if we are getting paid below market value salary. Similarly, the opportunity to win an Apple watch once in a century will not motivate strong employees to work harder.
    -Replace meaningless employee programs with things employees actually care about: tuition reimbursement is a MUST, market-comparable salaries, individual performance-based bonuses, opportunities to learn from third parties via seminars/outside training, REAL health incentives like deductions off of premiums (a FitBit does not equate to a healthy lifestyle). This review is employee-focused because I wish the company would think critically about the concepts of attracting, RETAINING, and developing talented and hardworking employees.

Oct 26, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you for your feedback and I do firmly believe in investing in all of our employees to support personal and professional development and think we are moving in the right direction. This week we... More

"Top Down Approach and Leadership"

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

* Lucrative compensation plan for Sales and Services leadership.
    * Still some amazing talent in pockets of the organization. Many have fled.
    * $600M+ in cash -- (could also be seen as a con also. Invest that money in your product and people)

Cons

* What type of culture is it where you have to paint the walls of your conference rooms and all the TV screen savers - company defined "values" - to remind employees of the company culture and how to behave during meetings.
    * Declining Revenues for last three years while the BI market has grown during the same time.
    * Stop blaming others on poor sales execution: "Declining revenues is a result of competitive noise" (Q2 2017 Quarterly Results Investor Call)
    * Autocratic Leadership and Decision Making. Decisions are made on the "14th floor" in a vacuum and then pushed down. No one will every question the leadership - only way to survive is "bend your knee" to the "king".
    * Compensation Plans are not configured for growth as there is no incentive to grow your business as long as individual P&L is profitable (high margin).
    * Aging Technology - Looks good in Demo's but doesn't help existing customers. Creation of platform and feature releases has helped demonstrate company can be agile and deliver quarterly releases. However, none of the customers can take advantage of quarterly releases because they are only supported for 6 months.

Advice to Management

* Build a "meritocracy" based culture where people are groomed for leadership roles within the organization and high performers are awarded for their hard work.
    * Incentivize people to grow and not become complacent.
    * Don't follow - be a leader (in product road map, innovation, sales execution and strategy).
    * Conduct 360 degree reviews to weed out ineffective management.
    * Build a culture that is organic and by the employees so it leads to better adoption.
    * Attract talent by including them in your success. Offer them Employee Stock Purchase (ESP) or options -- standard within tech industry.

Sep 9, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you for this review and the thoughtful Advice to Management. There is a lot of substance to your post and your advice. I want to expand on that advice with a summary reflecting what we have... More

"Dead end 9-5"

I have been working at MicroStrategy (More than 3 years)

Pros

For whatever reason, MSTR attracts great, talented, brilliant people. The best part about working here over the years has been my coworkers and the culture. I can honestly say that I really enjoyed my first year at MSTR. With that being said, good people are leaving (especially lately) and the culture that I speak of is DYING. Maybe instead of power playing on the 14th floor, management should focus on RETAINING these people.

Cons

-Hard work is not rewarded. The amount of favoritism at this place is disgusting.
    -Don't expect to advance as a woman at MSTR. It's a man's world.
    -Don't expect to be valued or appreciated.
    -Training for employees is minimal.
    -Not the best place for career growth.
    -There is no clear direction. Things are changing on a daily basis with zero consideration for your employees. A lot of departments are a mess right now.

Advice to Management

There are so many people that are unhappy right now. I would say to listen to your employees, but that piece of advice seems to constantly be disregarded. So, I guess all that is left is to follow MJS's lead and hire life coaches across the board for the execs and just become better human beings maybe.

Sep 9, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

Since coming on board - I have been very impressed by our ability to attract amazing people. Your post does concern me as my job is about keeping our amazing people engaged, happy, and productive and... More

"This is fine..."

Former Employee - Marketing
    Former Employee - Marketing

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You will note everyone mentions things like the gym or the freebies they delve out when morale (inevitably) hits critical levels. You may also note some of these reviews seem rather scripted.

During my time the peers were arguably the best aspect of the job, and ironically the dysfunctional atmosphere set me up for a much greater role. It's hard to find a better stepping stone if you make the most of your time here, just don't stay too long.

After the recent plunge, you won't hear many employees complaining about the lack of stock options. The massive amount of voluntary turnover has prevented widespread layoffs the past year.

Cons

The founder/CEO/President/Chairman of the Board/decision maker across every department. Senior leadership below Glorious Leader exist solely to enable his micromanaging processes and to lick his boots. The Old Boys Club is alive and well here.

While much data will be collected and regurgitated in manic fashions, rest assured that all decisions will solely be based upon opinions. Tenured department leaders pride themselves in their capacity to manipulate this fact.

Competitors that are 1/4 its age are now pulling in double its revenue.

Outside of your title, which you will need to fight for, your career will not grow here. Skills will atrophy in an atmosphere of "by orders of the king," so make use of Lynda and fight to get industry certifications.

Advice to Management

Over the long run there is a pattern of corporate bulimia, binging on executive hires, and ultimately purging when these hires don't help the company improve. Talented people (people who generate value-added work) bail long before the stock takes a plunge, worried more about their own market value, but also recognizing the slow and steady decline of a company that's has perpetually failed to reach its real world potential. After a couple cycles and finally recognizing the pattern, the employee chooses between a cushy unfulfilling job of looking busy/stressed/optimistic or to cut bait and move on.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small cadre of clients love and support the product.

Cons

Sales turnover rate is ~40%

Advice to Management

Sell the company

"A below average experience"

Former Employee - Field Marketing Manager in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Field Marketing Manager in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good company for fresh graduates and top execs in the Northern Va area but not the case if you are middle management.

Cons

No onboarding / training for new joiners in marketing. No clear strategy / direction from top management + lack of transparency. Antiquated systems / processes, but you will only notice this if you are joining from another leading tech company. Upon joining, some employees receive a mac and others the low end dell. This is strange and it doesn't seem like there is a clear and fair policy for all new joiners to be treated in the same way. On your first day, you are given a 5$ voucher to use in the snack room (where no snacks are given for free btw...coffee and tea is pretty much it!) which is very 'cheap' especially for employees coming from other tech companies who are generous with all their employees. The top managers, on the other hand, have access to a VIP lounge where free multi-course meals, prepared by a chef, are served throughout the day. When it comes to business travel, you are even expected to pay for flights from your own pocket and then wait for reimbursement. Flights should be taken care of by the company travel agency, this is common practice in most tech companies, so employees don't have to incur too many costs while traveling regularly for business. The majority of employees in sales & marketing are critical and unhappy so it's a very demotivating environment. Don't expect to be in a typical high energy, fun tech environment. This might explain why employee turnaround is higher than average. There are so many inexperienced junior employees that believe and act as if they are super knowledgeable, yet agressive and insecure. It must be a matter of cost saving but majority of employees look like they are fresh out of college. The culture of gossip and 'mean girls' club is very obvious and should be dealt with.

7. "Best in Enteprise reporting"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Still among the best in enterprise BI. Excel in enterprise BI

Cons

Lost focus and now cant seem to catch up with data discovery vendor even with focus. Also missing data engineering spectrum of things

Advice to Management

Need better data discovery tool. Why no offer in data engineering side of thing.

"Recent College Graduates Beware"

Former Employee - Technical Evangelist in Tysons Corner, VA
    Former Employee - Technical Evangelist in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Opportunity to work with some pretty intelligent people
    - The pay is ok, but you can find jobs that pay more in the area.
    - Location is great (metro accessible)
    - Opportunity to be fully certified in the Microstrategy product
    - The gym is located at HQ fully stocked with bathroom essentials
    - My direct managers were great part of the only reasons I stayed as long as I did

Cons

- For a company that preaches transparency Microstrategy does not do a good job at all in being transparent with those not in senior management.
    - Many employees are choosing to leave the company and pursue other opportunities due to lack of transparency.
    - There is constant change in the roadmap of the product which confuses the customers of where the company is going
    - Does not seem to be an environment that fosters employee growth. They prefer to utilize Lynda (which is alright) and they don't offer tuition assistance.
    - There is a lack of minorities within technology.
    - Top management doesn't have respect for those under them (Some will ignore you if you see them in the elevator).
    - There is alot of office politics, especially with the CTO. Most of the time he doesn't seem engaged and often changes persona depending if he respects you or not (usually only those in his close circle are respected). Because of him alot of good people are let go.
    - As a publicly traded company employees are not offered stock options which is odd for a Tech company
    - NOT a good place for anyone coming straight out of college - If a portion of the company is down sizing the recent college hires are the first to go.
    - This place is full of broken promises

Advice to Management

- Come up with better ways to retain your employees.
    - Work on better management to employee relationships, especially with the CTO
    - Have management ACTUALLY read some of these comments - Microstrategy has 707 reviews and a 2.7/5 stars rating... To anyone reading glassdoor that is not a welcoming number. Even while I was there there seemed to be little change so it comes off that senior management doesn't care. I would not refer any of my peers to this company.

Jul 30, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

I am glad that while you were here you worked with intelligent people, I think that is a differentiator for MicroStrategy - there are some very smart people here. That said, your review touches on a... More

"High Turn Over, Poor Leadership, Need New Vision/Visionary"

Former Employee - Sales Executive
    Former Employee - Sales Executive

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay for sales reps. is high, nice employee perks. Everyone is fairly intelligent & very personable.
    Annual customer conference, Microstrategy World in Vegas well organized & lots of fun.

Cons

Sales Managers do a poor job of leading & coaching. Bad reputation amongst Southeast customers, was unable to sell much. Employee morale is low, turnover is high.

Advice to Management

Move Michael Saylor into non-leadership role, recast the company vision, hire fresh innovative thinkers & let them implement their ideas. Focus on rebuilding your relationship with customers who you've burned.

"Not a place to start your professional career out of college....beware!"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Tysons Corner, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are truly the best part about the company and are the only reason I convinced myself to stay there as long as I did. I had a great team surrounding me, but the upper management made things impossible to change for the better.

Cons

MicroStrategy is and will always be a company dictated by poor leadership. The new CTO is a prime example of a disastrous leader and should not have been named CTO in the first place. MicroStrategy used to be filled with the top technology talent and recently most of them have ran out the door because of the CTO. You will never find him engaging with the technology teams on their floors, but rather sitting away locked in his office having meeting after meeting on how to fix things.
    The recruiting team tries to promise all of the college students a great place to come work and how great of an opportunity it is, but in reality you will be stuck in a cube and become just a number. College students beware of coming to work here. The CTO has no plan for you and everything is very disorganized. They promise you a rotational program, yet the new hires never get the chance to rotate. Your manager will probably change every few months, as the only people that stick around MicroStrategy are the ones that have been there forever and have the "in" with the CTO.
    If you don't mind a place where you have to suck up to the upper management and do as they say, then maybe this is the place for you.
    As a recent college grad, I was hoping to walk into a young, hip and fun office space. MicroStrategy is the farthest thing from that and you would never know they were technology company walking into the office. The walls are bare, there are cubicles everywhere, an an Usher system that goes offline everyday and as a programmer this office space is your worst nightmare. Just walk across the street to Capital Ones office to see what I am talking about.

Advice to Management

If you promise a college graduate a rotation when they come on board, you should stick to it. Find a way to retain your employees, as the amount of people on my team and managers that left when I was there was ridiculous. Get rid of the CTO.

May 5, 2017 – HR

We are sorry to hear of your experience and we appreciate you taking the time to communicate this feedback. MicroStrategy is an agile company and as with most companies in the software space, changes... More