MicroStrategy Reviews | Glassdoor

MicroStrategy Chairman, President, and CEO Michael J. Saylor
Michael J. Saylor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • upper management takes too much time to get things done (in 50 reviews)

• Company course changes are made on a whim and difficult to predict if you aren't in senior management (in 28 reviews)

"Work, Save, Learn what you can, Jump Ship"

Former Employee - Associate Product Manager in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Associate Product Manager in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay
    Good benefits
    Good likelihood of getting a raise

Cons

Instability of company could quickly cost you your job. Half of my department was laid off.
    Management is a bit of a mess (I reported to two people who wanted two entirely different things)
    Company lacks a strong Marketing department so a lot of good products and ideas go wasted and remain unseen, which means the company struggles to make profit, which means more layoffs.

Advice to Management

Develop a strong Marketing department.

"Great MSP if you live in NJ"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Parsippany, NJ
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Parsippany, NJ

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great hours, understanding management, great team, good atmosphere.

I loved my team, I loved my managers (mark Longfield and keith) - great guys, go out of their way to help.

Mark and I had a great relationship and he always took time to listen and help in anyway

Cons

If you are a senior tech, you may get low level assigned work. A lot of driving, but they tell you all this before you start.

They don't like people late - but I don't blame them

Advice to Management

Maybe divide work load based on tech level, but other than that - that's it

3. "Great company with unlimited potential"

Current Employee - Senior Education Consultant in Bedford, NH
    Current Employee - Senior Education Consultant in Bedford, NH

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

CEO provides vision for the future for the company. Company has found its values and uses them everyday. Very progressive company.

Cons

The company has fixed many of the issues that have plagued it. But in our quest to be more agile, we need to improve on our quality.

Advice to Management

Integrate your remote employees more. They have a lot of good information from the customer that would help the company overall.

May 5, 2017 – HR

We appreciate your transparent review. Your comment regarding remote employees is great feedback and we’ll look for ways to improve field inclusion. We wish you continued success at MicroStrategy!

"It was fun while it lasted"

Former Employee - Support Engineer
    Former Employee - Support Engineer

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very smart people working at the company. Well-known company name looks good on a resume, and if you network well while you're there then you'll end up with contacts in all sorts of companies for a later job search.

Cons

Things change ever 6-18 months. Titles change, people get fired or leave, the goalposts are always moving. And now that all of their institutional knowledge people have left, no one knows how anything works anymore.

Advice to Management

Get rid of all of these external Analysts coming in and telling people how to do their jobs! And stop changing everything all the time!

Mar 21, 2017 – HR

Thank you for your review. MicroStrategy is an agile company and we appreciate your feedback on this matter. Good luck in your next role.

5. "Good for employee growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work-life balance
    Good bonus potential
    Average salary to market, maybe slightly less
    Great gym in office
    Transparency across the company on initiatives and quarterly all hands meetings
    Support learning and growth - Lynda.com subscriptions for all employees and allow employees to move between business units if you have interest in other positions.
    Women's leadership group will hopefully motivate management to add some females at the CXO level.

Cons

There's still a good amount of turnover, they could work on their culture
    Corporate culture, have to be willing to work hard and keep up

Advice to Management

Continue to foster employee growth and continue to build employee culture.

Mar 31, 2017 – HR

Thank you for your review! We are happy to hear you feel you can grow within our organization. We will pass your feedback along to our Talent Management and HR teams team who is currently working... More

"great pay, great work-life balance"

Current Employee - Technology Associate in Tysons Corner, VA
    Current Employee - Technology Associate in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is high enough to compete with consulting jobs, but not make me hate my life! Everyone who works here is extremely nice, and the product is improving rapidly so there's tons of excitement within the HQ. Employee lounge (free lattes) and gym (with free yoga classes!) also add to some of the great things here. There's great flexibility within the company, and between departments.

Cons

Not a lot of clear guidance as to how to move up/career path. You have to figure out what you like and go for it.

Advice to Management

Great job so far, focus on developing a full associate program.

Feb 3, 2017 – HR

Great review! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on your time thus far at MicroStrategy. We are glad to know you are surrounded by engaged individuals in a cheerful culture. We encourage you to speak... More

"BA"

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time

Pros

Good Place to Work. We love it here.

Cons

I don't want to leave at 5:00

Feb 9, 2017 – HR

We appreciate your review! You are welcome to stay in the office as long as you like :) and we are happy to hear you are enjoying your time. We wish you success at MicroStrategy!

"Good place to become BI expert"

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time

Pros

I was working as a Senior Consultant. The company provided all the training and certification before putting me into the field which was great.

Cons

Too many changes in the org going on. Seems to be a bit behind the competition when it came to expanding customer base

Jan 11, 2017 – HR

Thank you for your review! Your feedback is valuable to us and we will address your points with our Management and CXO teams. Best of luck to you in the New Year!

"Good Place for Contract work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

Pros

Lots of work and very intense. Need to be very knowledgeable or you will be cut.

Cons

Schedules always too short. Company expects things to be done in half the time it will take to get right.

Advice to Management

Learn more about what needs to be done so realistic schedule is possible.

Dec 30, 2016 – HR

Thank you for writing a review and sharing your experience as a contractor at MicroStrategy. We wish you success in the new year.

"From the eyes of an Operations Analyst Trending Upwards"

Current Employee - Operations Analyst
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Exciting Projects
    Great teammates
    Fun culture
    Chill Dress Code
    Not dramatic(well worker to worker anyway)
    Opportunities to learn and grow(Free SalesForce and MicroStrategy training anybody?)
    Growing HR department
    IT is solid and super friendly
    Product is exciting to use
    Travel/Relocation opportunities
    With Sharepoint you have a great tool to learn every inch of the business
    Usher is a neat gadget to show off to friends

Cons

I think it sucks that we have to do MicroStrategy training on our own time and they don't build it into the onboarding process or part of Employee Dev plans

Another is some of The Establishment Mentality that needs to go

Let me explain, so apparently there was some jazz in the company in 2014 revolving around Usher and layoffs and then another explosion over the start of these internal cadence calls.

While most hated the cadence calls, it did provide a lot of transparency, improved efficiency and actually exposed a lot of people who could have used some improvement. I guess people didn't like their day to day progress out in the open and decided to leave. On sales calls I don't think AEs were fond of "recent college grad" analysts giving friendly suggestions about the successful trends they witnessed in the field.

The dust at MicroStrategy has finally started to settle and honestly the company has been better since those individuals made their choice to move on. With the fresh talent we have coming in, new mid level leadership, and installation of the new corporate values.

My advice to outsiders is to come through, bring your best and dive into the mix. It can get exhausting and frustrating but every time it's worth it and you'll grow and learn a lot.
    My advice to those here at MSTR is to keep the gears churning and keep being awesome people and the company will become what you and I both know It is capable of

Long story short get your head out of the past. We're a better company now

Advice to Management

To HR and the C Suite- we need fresh legs, in marketing in education(especially internationally!!) and in tech support.
    Get them in and get them established. Now that we've grown, becoming tenured will take us a step further(frustrating for customers to switch AEs every year, can't grow strategically.)

To MJS, you've got a solid vision. Keep it going, let your talented management smooth out the kinks though.

To Tim Lang, you've got a fleet of the most Intelligent developers I think on the east coast. Show the your best side and they'll do their best each time there's a rally

To Dave Rennyson and Mike Tae, keep up the trips. Customers and AEs rave about your presence.

Nov 7, 2016 – HR

Thank you for your review! Your Transparent and Cheerful words are very important to us. We will pass your on-boarding/education suggestions onto our Talent Management and HR teams. Additionally, we... More