MicroStrategy Reviews | Glassdoor

MicroStrategy Reviews

Updated August 15, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • work life balance is very good there (in 80 reviews)

• Great People to work with and always challenging assignments (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management takes too much time to get things done (in 51 reviews)

• For a company that preaches transparency Microstrategy does not do a good job at all in being transparent with those not in senior management (in 29 reviews)

"a good place for life work balance"

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time

Pros

it is a good place for life work balance

Cons

a lot good engineers leave the company. Not a good place for career development.

"A below average experience"

Former Employee - Field Marketing Manager in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Field Marketing Manager in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good company for fresh graduates and top execs in the Northern Va area but not the case if you are middle management.

Cons

No onboarding / training for new joiners in marketing. No clear strategy / direction from top management + lack of transparency. Antiquated systems / processes, but you will only notice this if you are joining from another leading tech company. Upon joining, some employees receive a mac and others the low end dell. This is strange and it doesn't seem like there is a clear and fair policy for all new joiners to be treated in the same way. On your first day, you are given a 5$ voucher to use in the snack room (where no snacks are given for free btw...coffee and tea is pretty much it!) which is very 'cheap' especially for employees coming from other tech companies who are generous with all their employees. The top managers, on the other hand, have access to a VIP lounge where free multi-course meals, prepared by a chef, are served throughout the day. When it comes to business travel, you are even expected to pay for flights from your own pocket and then wait for reimbursement. Flights should be taken care of by the company travel agency, this is common practice in most tech companies, so employees don't have to incur too many costs while traveling regularly for business. The majority of employees in sales & marketing are critical and unhappy so it's a very demotivating environment. Don't expect to be in a typical high energy, fun tech environment. This might explain why employee turnaround is higher than average. There are so many inexperienced junior employees that believe and act as if they are super knowledgeable, yet agressive and insecure. It must be a matter of cost saving but majority of employees look like they are fresh out of college. The culture of gossip and 'mean girls' club is very obvious and should be dealt with.

3. "Relaxed and Youthful"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work place is relaxed. Has matching 401k. Nice, friendly and intelligent co-workers. Has small fitness center if you're into that, free packing garage and somewhat flexible working hour

Cons

Questionable Senior management decision making, Salary isn't that great if you're not in managerial position, high employee turnover, employee micromanagement

"Recent College Graduates Beware"

Former Employee - Technical Evangelist in Tysons Corner, VA
    Former Employee - Technical Evangelist in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Opportunity to work with some pretty intelligent people
    - The pay is ok, but you can find jobs that pay more in the area.
    - Location is great (metro accessible)
    - Opportunity to be fully certified in the Microstrategy product
    - The gym is located at HQ fully stocked with bathroom essentials
    - My direct managers were great part of the only reasons I stayed as long as I did

Cons

- For a company that preaches transparency Microstrategy does not do a good job at all in being transparent with those not in senior management.
    - Many employees are choosing to leave the company and pursue other opportunities due to lack of transparency.
    - There is constant change in the roadmap of the product which confuses the customers of where the company is going
    - Does not seem to be an environment that fosters employee growth. They prefer to utilize Lynda (which is alright) and they don't offer tuition assistance.
    - There is a lack of minorities within technology.
    - Top management doesn't have respect for those under them (Some will ignore you if you see them in the elevator).
    - There is alot of office politics, especially with the CTO. Most of the time he doesn't seem engaged and often changes persona depending if he respects you or not (usually only those in his close circle are respected). Because of him alot of good people are let go.
    - As a publicly traded company employees are not offered stock options which is odd for a Tech company
    - NOT a good place for anyone coming straight out of college - If a portion of the company is down sizing the recent college hires are the first to go.
    - This place is full of broken promises

Advice to Management

- Come up with better ways to retain your employees.
    - Work on better management to employee relationships, especially with the CTO
    - Have management ACTUALLY read some of these comments - Microstrategy has 707 reviews and a 2.7/5 stars rating... To anyone reading glassdoor that is not a welcoming number. Even while I was there there seemed to be little change so it comes off that senior management doesn't care. I would not refer any of my peers to this company.

Jul 30, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

I am glad that while you were here you worked with intelligent people, I think that is a differentiator for MicroStrategy - there are some very smart people here. That said, your review touches on a... More

"Work, Save, Learn what you can, Jump Ship"

Former Employee - Associate Product Manager in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Associate Product Manager in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay
    Good benefits
    Good likelihood of getting a raise

Cons

Instability of company could quickly cost you your job. Half of my department was laid off.
    Management is a bit of a mess (I reported to two people who wanted two entirely different things)
    Company lacks a strong Marketing department so a lot of good products and ideas go wasted and remain unseen, which means the company struggles to make profit, which means more layoffs.

Advice to Management

Develop a strong Marketing department.

"Easy to get lost in the daily shuffle."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As an international organization it is great learning environment for anyone.

Cons

Company course changes are made on a whim and difficult to predict if you aren't in senior management.

Advice to Management

Advice to management would be don't play moves so close to the chest. It may not be information for everyone but explaining why a move is being made is helpful.

Jul 13, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

I agree, this is a great learning environment in a fast-paced industry which creates a lot of excitement. That being said - we are working on our communication practices and how we a) develop better... More

"High Turn Over, Poor Leadership, Need New Vision/Visionary"

Former Employee - Sales Executive
    Former Employee - Sales Executive

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay for sales reps. is high, nice employee perks. Everyone is fairly intelligent & very personable.
    Annual customer conference, Microstrategy World in Vegas well organized & lots of fun.

Cons

Sales Managers do a poor job of leading & coaching. Bad reputation amongst Southeast customers, was unable to sell much. Employee morale is low, turnover is high.

Advice to Management

Move Michael Saylor into non-leadership role, recast the company vision, hire fresh innovative thinkers & let them implement their ideas. Focus on rebuilding your relationship with customers who you've burned.

8. "Nice place to work"

Current Employee - Support Engineer in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Support Engineer in Vienna, VA

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management open to suggestions
    Friendly atmosphere

Cons

Training is a bit lacking

Jul 13, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

Hi there, thank you for this feedback and we have heard you about the training. Did you know that MicroStrategy was recently named Lynda.com’s #1 most engaged customer. This journey started with our... More

9. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Psm in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Psm in New York, NY

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Terrific People. Challenging Customers & Great Product. Not to mention good pay.

Cons

Dispersed employees (but then i was in Service and hence dispersed)

Advice to Management

Not sure why people complain, but overall good experience.

Jul 14, 2017 – HR

Thank you for this feedback! We appreciate your review, glad you had a good experience here, and wish you luck.

10. "Fun place to work with plenty of opportunity"

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, with an HR department and CEO highly invested in employee development. It's a pleasant work environment and it's enjoyable to interact with people and go to meetings. Compensation and benefits are good, and there are many perks, particularly if you are at HQ. A new Employee Fitness program just launched, with the company providing FitBits to all employees which is pretty exciting. Finally, the company is profitable and in good shape financially.

Cons

Lots of changes going on at the executive level, with decisions that don't always make sense. Sometimes it feels like you need to be a CXO to have any decision making power.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and continue to listen to employee feedback.

Jun 25, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you for the review and for noticing. There is great energy right now at MicroStrategy and a lot in the works to continue to evolve and enhance our culture and work environment around the world... More