MicroStrategy Reviews | Glassdoor

MicroStrategy Reviews

Updated October 18, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • work life balance is very good there (in 83 reviews)

• Great People to work with and always challenging assignments (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't always give initiatives enough time to see if they work so it can feel like you're changing direction several times a year (in 52 reviews)

• For a company that preaches transparency Microstrategy does not do a good job at all in being transparent with those not in senior management (in 29 reviews)

"Great Company!"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Tysons Corner, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A great place to work. Plenty of variety of project work. Work with and learn from some of the best people in IT. Management does a good job of matching consultants with assignments that make best use of their talents while challenging you to expand your skill set. If you have a chance to work for this company, take it!

Cons

Lots of travel (50-75%) if your in the Professional Services organization. That can be a problem for some people but it suited me just fine.

In my case work location was split about 50/50 between working from my home office and traveling to customer sites throiughout the US & Canada.

"Do not accept an offer from this company!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many options for lunch at Tysons mall.
    Need to wrte someting to meet word requirement.

Cons

As software engineer, I dont report to a engineering manager but to product owner who is a non technical person. prduct owner is responsible for my quarterly reviews where he rates my ability to do my job (which he does not understand) and my bonus and promotion are dependent on this person. Me and othr software enginers I knw feel insulted most of time! We all looking to leave.

Advice to Management

tried many time. no one care.

Sep 5, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Employee engagement and happiness are top priorities that we are actively working on. We are committed to improving leadership communication across the... More

3. "Best in Enteprise reporting"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Still among the best in enterprise BI. Excel in enterprise BI

Cons

Lost focus and now cant seem to catch up with data discovery vendor even with focus. Also missing data engineering spectrum of things

Advice to Management

Need better data discovery tool. Why no offer in data engineering side of thing.

"a good place for life work balance"

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time

Pros

it is a good place for life work balance

Cons

a lot good engineers leave the company. Not a good place for career development.

"A below average experience"

Former Employee - Field Marketing Manager in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Field Marketing Manager in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good company for fresh graduates and top execs in the Northern Va area but not the case if you are middle management.

Cons

No onboarding / training for new joiners in marketing. No clear strategy / direction from top management + lack of transparency. Antiquated systems / processes, but you will only notice this if you are joining from another leading tech company. Upon joining, some employees receive a mac and others the low end dell. This is strange and it doesn't seem like there is a clear and fair policy for all new joiners to be treated in the same way. On your first day, you are given a 5$ voucher to use in the snack room (where no snacks are given for free btw...coffee and tea is pretty much it!) which is very 'cheap' especially for employees coming from other tech companies who are generous with all their employees. The top managers, on the other hand, have access to a VIP lounge where free multi-course meals, prepared by a chef, are served throughout the day. When it comes to business travel, you are even expected to pay for flights from your own pocket and then wait for reimbursement. Flights should be taken care of by the company travel agency, this is common practice in most tech companies, so employees don't have to incur too many costs while traveling regularly for business. The majority of employees in sales & marketing are critical and unhappy so it's a very demotivating environment. Don't expect to be in a typical high energy, fun tech environment. This might explain why employee turnaround is higher than average. There are so many inexperienced junior employees that believe and act as if they are super knowledgeable, yet agressive and insecure. It must be a matter of cost saving but majority of employees look like they are fresh out of college. The culture of gossip and 'mean girls' club is very obvious and should be dealt with.

6. "Relaxed and Youthful"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work place is relaxed. Has matching 401k. Nice, friendly and intelligent co-workers. Has small fitness center if you're into that, free packing garage and somewhat flexible working hour

Cons

Questionable Senior management decision making, Salary isn't that great if you're not in managerial position, high employee turnover, employee micromanagement

"Work, Save, Learn what you can, Jump Ship"

Former Employee - Associate Product Manager in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Associate Product Manager in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay
    Good benefits
    Good likelihood of getting a raise

Cons

Instability of company could quickly cost you your job. Half of my department was laid off.
    Management is a bit of a mess (I reported to two people who wanted two entirely different things)
    Company lacks a strong Marketing department so a lot of good products and ideas go wasted and remain unseen, which means the company struggles to make profit, which means more layoffs.

Advice to Management

Develop a strong Marketing department.

"Recent College Graduates Beware"

Former Employee - Technical Evangelist in Tysons Corner, VA
    Former Employee - Technical Evangelist in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Opportunity to work with some pretty intelligent people
    - The pay is ok, but you can find jobs that pay more in the area.
    - Location is great (metro accessible)
    - Opportunity to be fully certified in the Microstrategy product
    - The gym is located at HQ fully stocked with bathroom essentials
    - My direct managers were great part of the only reasons I stayed as long as I did

Cons

- For a company that preaches transparency Microstrategy does not do a good job at all in being transparent with those not in senior management.
    - Many employees are choosing to leave the company and pursue other opportunities due to lack of transparency.
    - There is constant change in the roadmap of the product which confuses the customers of where the company is going
    - Does not seem to be an environment that fosters employee growth. They prefer to utilize Lynda (which is alright) and they don't offer tuition assistance.
    - There is a lack of minorities within technology.
    - Top management doesn't have respect for those under them (Some will ignore you if you see them in the elevator).
    - There is alot of office politics, especially with the CTO. Most of the time he doesn't seem engaged and often changes persona depending if he respects you or not (usually only those in his close circle are respected). Because of him alot of good people are let go.
    - As a publicly traded company employees are not offered stock options which is odd for a Tech company
    - NOT a good place for anyone coming straight out of college - If a portion of the company is down sizing the recent college hires are the first to go.
    - This place is full of broken promises

Advice to Management

- Come up with better ways to retain your employees.
    - Work on better management to employee relationships, especially with the CTO
    - Have management ACTUALLY read some of these comments - Microstrategy has 707 reviews and a 2.7/5 stars rating... To anyone reading glassdoor that is not a welcoming number. Even while I was there there seemed to be little change so it comes off that senior management doesn't care. I would not refer any of my peers to this company.

Jul 30, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

I am glad that while you were here you worked with intelligent people, I think that is a differentiator for MicroStrategy - there are some very smart people here. That said, your review touches on a... More

"Easy to get lost in the daily shuffle."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As an international organization it is great learning environment for anyone.

Cons

Company course changes are made on a whim and difficult to predict if you aren't in senior management.

Advice to Management

Advice to management would be don't play moves so close to the chest. It may not be information for everyone but explaining why a move is being made is helpful.

Jul 13, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

I agree, this is a great learning environment in a fast-paced industry which creates a lot of excitement. That being said - we are working on our communication practices and how we a) develop better... More

"High Turn Over, Poor Leadership, Need New Vision/Visionary"

Former Employee - Sales Executive
    Former Employee - Sales Executive

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay for sales reps. is high, nice employee perks. Everyone is fairly intelligent & very personable.
    Annual customer conference, Microstrategy World in Vegas well organized & lots of fun.

Cons

Sales Managers do a poor job of leading & coaching. Bad reputation amongst Southeast customers, was unable to sell much. Employee morale is low, turnover is high.

Advice to Management

Move Michael Saylor into non-leadership role, recast the company vision, hire fresh innovative thinkers & let them implement their ideas. Focus on rebuilding your relationship with customers who you've burned.