MicroStrategy Reviews | Glassdoor

MicroStrategy Reviews

Updated March 23, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • upper management takes too much time to get things done (in 47 reviews)

• Work life balance sometimes gets challenged (in 13 reviews)

"Company in transition"

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time

Pros

Great co-workers! The colleagues are smart, professional, and responsive people.

Cons

The management team is gambling the future of the company on the products that are not for the BI business.

Advice to Management

Knowing the problem of the BI business to understand MicroStrategy product better, and knowing the problem of the company to take actions on the mistakes already made during the re-org.

Nov 29, 2016 – HR

Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear you are surrounded by talented and engaged co-workers. We will pass along your feedback to management and we wish you a successful future at ... More

2. "Good Learning Opportunity"

Current Employee - Senior Oracle Database Administrator/AWS Systems Engineer in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The scope of learning and enhancing your skills in newer technologies is immense.

Cons

Not a good payer. The vision is not that solid.

Dec 13, 2016 – HR

Thank you for your review. We wish you continued success at MicroStrategy!

"clueless leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time

Pros

good engineers, decent product.

Cons

too many directors and VPs. most of them dont do much, they just look busy.
    A very antiquated culture. Lot of attrition.

Nov 29, 2016 – HR

Thank you for your review. We encourage you to reach out to your HR Business Partner with any additional thoughts. We wish you continued success at MicroStrategy!

"From the eyes of an Operations Analyst Trending Upwards"

Current Employee - Operations Analyst
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Exciting Projects
    Great teammates
    Fun culture
    Chill Dress Code
    Not dramatic(well worker to worker anyway)
    Opportunities to learn and grow(Free SalesForce and MicroStrategy training anybody?)
    Growing HR department
    IT is solid and super friendly
    Product is exciting to use
    Travel/Relocation opportunities
    With Sharepoint you have a great tool to learn every inch of the business
    Usher is a neat gadget to show off to friends

Cons

I think it sucks that we have to do MicroStrategy training on our own time and they don't build it into the onboarding process or part of Employee Dev plans

Another is some of The Establishment Mentality that needs to go

Let me explain, so apparently there was some jazz in the company in 2014 revolving around Usher and layoffs and then another explosion over the start of these internal cadence calls.

While most hated the cadence calls, it did provide a lot of transparency, improved efficiency and actually exposed a lot of people who could have used some improvement. I guess people didn't like their day to day progress out in the open and decided to leave. On sales calls I don't think AEs were fond of "recent college grad" analysts giving friendly suggestions about the successful trends they witnessed in the field.

The dust at MicroStrategy has finally started to settle and honestly the company has been better since those individuals made their choice to move on. With the fresh talent we have coming in, new mid level leadership, and installation of the new corporate values.

My advice to outsiders is to come through, bring your best and dive into the mix. It can get exhausting and frustrating but every time it's worth it and you'll grow and learn a lot.
    My advice to those here at MSTR is to keep the gears churning and keep being awesome people and the company will become what you and I both know It is capable of

Long story short get your head out of the past. We're a better company now

Advice to Management

To HR and the C Suite- we need fresh legs, in marketing in education(especially internationally!!) and in tech support.
    Get them in and get them established. Now that we've grown, becoming tenured will take us a step further(frustrating for customers to switch AEs every year, can't grow strategically.)

To MJS, you've got a solid vision. Keep it going, let your talented management smooth out the kinks though.

To Tim Lang, you've got a fleet of the most Intelligent developers I think on the east coast. Show the your best side and they'll do their best each time there's a rally

To Dave Rennyson and Mike Tae, keep up the trips. Customers and AEs rave about your presence.

Nov 7, 2016 – HR

Thank you for your review! Your Transparent and Cheerful words are very important to us. We will pass your on-boarding/education suggestions onto our Talent Management and HR teams. Additionally, we ... More

"You take the good with the bad"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

At the beginning, work was fun. Great work/life balance, great management. Even in the first hiring freeze we had, we stayed together. There was a huge family and team atmosphere at the time and, as cheesy as it sounds, we felt like "we're all in this together.

Cons

But things changed as time went on. They have a very interesting way of decreasing the team size, increasing the workload and wondering why people are unhappy. They punished people for speaking out about the crappy work conditions. We had a revolving door of VPs and Executives because the CEO was never happy. He only wanted "yes" men. When people told him the ship was sinking, he fired them. And the ship kept sinking.

Advice to Management

Don't make 5 people do the work of 10 people. Hire engineers. Pay them at least the industry average. Just because you've done things a certain way for a long time, doesn't mean it's the right way. Be humble enough to change.

Nov 7, 2016 – HR

Thank you for your review and your work with MicroStrategy. Your feedback is important and we will pass this along to our management and CXO teams.

"The problems here are NOT normal."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Reasonably flexible PTO
    - Nice gym in the building
    - Good people at the team-level
    - Some strong friendships made through shared suffering

Cons

Some other reviews on this site and some former colleges of mine have said essentially, “Sure, there are some problems here, but all workplaces have issue like this”. It is true, all companies have problems…but VERY FEW can possibly have as many as MicroStrategy.

The biggest issue for me at MicroStrategy was the work environment. Pure and simple, the majority employees are not happy with their job there. There is a lack of motivation and passion for the work – almost no one has any interest in doing their job from day-to-day aside from appeasing their manager. This problem stems from a variety of causes, but in a large part is the aftermath of a massive round of layoffs in 2014. The company went from ~3500 employees worldwide to right around ~2000 over a year, many of these were laid off while the rest was due to subsequent attrition. A lot of the best people at the company abandoned ship during this period, leaving huge gaps in leadership and leading to numerous restructures. People talk openly about their job hunts and joke about who would be the last person left at the company. When I heard of friends leaving the company for other jobs, my disappointment at their departure was dwarfed by my excitement that they had been able to escape to somewhere better. There have been half-hearted attempts by management to improve the atmosphere, e.g. “Food Truck Fridays”, but the continued attrition and lack of real change has lead me to guess that they have concluded it is really not worth their effort to retain employees at this point.

Benefits and compensation are less than competitive, as salary reviews will show. The majority of engineers are internationals on work visas, which is cheaper than paying competitive salaries to US software engineers. It feels like these international engineers are being taken advantage of – luckily many of them have moved on to places like Google and Facebook. The 401k plan is egregious. The company will half-match your 6% contribution (low compared to comparable companies) but read the fine print in the vesting timeline! A meager 20% vests after 2 full years there, and you have to be there for 6 YEARS for 100% vesting. Add to that that the plan is with Principal, a group notorious for high fees that eat away your retirement savings. Everything about the company of late feels like they are penny-pinching, from huge hassles submitting expense reports, to cancelling cell phone plans, to replacing forks and spoons in the kitchen with sporks (is this an elementary school cafeteria!?).

Upper management is abysmal, as could be gathered from the CEO approval rating. No one has the courage to stand up to executives when they make terrible decisions, which is not surprising since most that have made a stand did not last long at the company. Many low-level managers are good people, but they are powerless to help their team advance their careers or protect them from nonsensical decisions and mandates from higher-ups. Good, hard workers are rewarded by piling more work on them. Your best chance at getting a raise or promotion is to say you are quitting (which, to be fair, seems to be pretty effective).

On top of all this, the MicroStrategy product is profoundly flawed and is being outdone by competitors like Tableau at every turn. Keeping the product from becoming more and more obsolete every year takes the combined efforts of the entire technology department. The largest source of revenue is from support (this should say something about the quality of a product…) and from customers that have been invested for 10+ years that have put so much time and energy into maintaining the convoluted platform that they can’t bring themselves migrate to a better solution. It is truly a struggle to get excited about building and selling something that is just not very good.

To anyone considering taking a job here, I’d strongly advise against it no matter the stage in your career. Look at rating trends and understand that many of the 5-star reviews are from current employees who were asked to write good reviews by management. To anyone currently working there, know that these problems are NOT normal and a workplace can be miles better. I’ve moved on and could not be happier to be at a different company.

TL;DR – Work environment is miserable, management doesn’t care about employees, product is bad, don’t work here.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and really care about them. Or if you don’t care about them, let them leave. Also probably get another job lined up as it’s a revolving door at the top.

Nov 29, 2016 – HR

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on MicroStrategy. We wish you luck in your future endeavors.

"Great experience"

Former Employee - Finance Intern in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Finance Intern in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The office environment was great, everyone was friendly. The layout of the office is also great, very open and all of the upper management had open doors

Cons

The location of the building is great for views but it is tough to get to due to morning D.C. traffic. The view is great though

Advice to Management

Business Intelligence is the industry to be in now. I would recommend that the people at microstrategy continue to be innovative and different from all the other BI companies out there

Nov 7, 2016 – HR

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review on MicroStrategy. We will pass along your advice to our management teams. Good luck in your future endeavors!

"Consultant"

Pros

Abroad projects, internal training, variety of customers, great atmosphere.

Cons

Stress when working at customer's, lot's of corporation administrative tasks, no external certified training sponsorship

Oct 24, 2016 – HR

Thank you for your review! We are glad you are enjoying working for MicroStrategy. We will pass your feedback to the Consulting management team, but encourage you to set up some time with your HR ... More

"Unique place to work"

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time

Pros

Small enough company that you have excellent access to people from all parts of the business, but large enough to still have good growth opportunities

Cons

the product is basically homegrown and comes with its own quirks, and sometimes narrow-sighted approaches to solving problems

Advice to Management

try to hire from more diverse professional backgrounds to bring some fresh perspective to your tech, otherwise keep up the fun culture

Oct 3, 2016 – HR

Thank you for the taking the time to write a review of MicroStrategy! We appreciate your feedback and will pass this along to our Talent Acquisition team.

"Good place to start a career"

Pros

nice coworkers
    work life balance
    boot camp training

Cons

salary doesn't increase much
    limited promotion opportunities

Oct 3, 2016 – HR

Thank you for your review! We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your time at MSTR and we wish you success in your next role.