MicroStrategy Reviews | Glassdoor

MicroStrategy Reviews

Updated September 22, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • work life balance is very good there (in 82 reviews)

• Great People to work with and always challenging assignments (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't always give initiatives enough time to see if they work so it can feel like you're changing direction several times a year (in 52 reviews)

• For a company that preaches transparency Microstrategy does not do a good job at all in being transparent with those not in senior management (in 29 reviews)

"Not a good experience"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in McLean, VA

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My team was full of smart, helpful, kind people, and they are the only thing I truly miss about MicroStrategy. The gym was nice, as was the easy access to the mall. Work/ life balance was good on my team, but that is not true company-wide.

Cons

If you are a recent grad/ early-career, stay far away. Many teams use old tech with bad code quality, and some products aren't unit tested at all. If you are lucky enough to be on a team using modern tech, expect to work long hours while upper management breathes down your neck. You will always be pushed to finish tasks as quickly as possible, even at the expense of code quality, documentation, and testing.

Management needs to improve. Middle management only served to pass down orders from the top. Ideas from lower-level employees were often ignored and concerns were often dismissed out of hand. Everyone is expected to be a yes-man, and the culture is based in fear. I have seen managers yell and lash out at team members in anger.

The review/ promotion/ raise process is incredibly biased and, frankly, illogical. Team members with different responsibilities and experience levels essentially fight for the same promotions, which fosters competition and discourages teamwork. Upper management will push lower-level managers to lower an employee's review score just to limit the number of good reviews in the team. It is also difficult to figure out how you need to improve in order to be considered for a raise, as there are no leveling charts or written job descriptions.

Management loves to talk about how "transparent" they are, but that really couldn't be further from the truth. It was not unusual to come in to work to find that your team's responsibilities had completely changed overnight. Some might say that this is a by-product of how "agile" the company is, but I believe it is possible to be agile while still communicating effectively with your employees.

The salaries are fairly competitive, but the other benefits could be better. The company is very proud of their Lynda usage, but Lynda is not a substitute for tuition reimbursement or conference attendance. Other perks like Food Truck Fridays and the pool table do not make up for everything else.

Advice to Management

Actually be transparent. Encourage employees to come forward with their ideas and concerns, and actively help your team reach their career goals instead of keeping them down. Learn what younger employees look for in a workplace and make changes so they'll want to stay.

May 30, 2017 – HR

Thank you for writing this review. While we wish you reached out to your Human Resources Business Partner about these concerns while you were here, we value this feedback greatly. Our company is... More

"Terrible"

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation, and a nice corporate HQ

Cons

Management is just about the worst I've ever experienced. They will lie to your face without blinking.

"Hilariously bad"

Former Employee - Tech Support Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Tech Support Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I could write a book about my experiences at this company

Cons

All of those experiences I would write about in my book, outside of friendship and the nice people I worked with, were strange, sad, or inappropriate.

Advice to Management

Say "Next" to the CEO, make smart decisions despite what the strange leadership here might tell you to do

"Run!!!!"

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Vienna, VA

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Team-level colleagues were terrific.

Cons

The reviews aren't kidding. This place is crazy.

Top level management is too busy sucking up to CEO to offer anything of value. People are in charge that have no business in the business, like the clueless joke of a CTO that no one in tech actually respects.

There's back-stabbing, constant reorgs, miserable employees, whiplash from all the changes in direction that go well beyond just normal business decisions, arbitrary rules, whiney good ol' boys getting their way not because they have a clue, but because they think they're entitled, and there's not even the flexibility offered at most tech companies.

Oh, and then there's the sexual harassment and downright prejudice.

It's a wonder MSTR has managed to stay open this long, but with all these issues and a product that frankly is pretty behind the market, I doubt for too much longer.

Advice to Management

Like management here takes advice. They know everything. Just ask them.

5. "Great Company"

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time

Pros

Lifestyle, Employees, Work-Life Balance, Executives, Perks

Cons

Ability to advance, CEO, Meeting

Advice to Management

Promote from within

Apr 21, 2017 – HR

We appreciate your review and wish you success in your future endeavors.

"It was fun while it lasted"

Former Employee - Support Engineer
    Former Employee - Support Engineer

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very smart people working at the company. Well-known company name looks good on a resume, and if you network well while you're there then you'll end up with contacts in all sorts of companies for a later job search.

Cons

Things change ever 6-18 months. Titles change, people get fired or leave, the goalposts are always moving. And now that all of their institutional knowledge people have left, no one knows how anything works anymore.

Advice to Management

Get rid of all of these external Analysts coming in and telling people how to do their jobs! And stop changing everything all the time!

Mar 21, 2017 – HR

Thank you for your review. MicroStrategy is an agile company and we appreciate your feedback on this matter. Good luck in your next role.

"Undock the yacht"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice building, nice gym, covered parking, additional words to get to 20. Nice walk to the mall to get those daily steps in.

Cons

Just about everything else. No need to repeat previous posts. CEO drives all aspects of the business since he "docked the yacht".

Advice to Management

Sandy Colen at Apex was kidding in my opinion with his Feb 3rd, 2014 letter. The CEO needs to "Undock the yacht" and get a professional management team in place.

May 5, 2017 – HR

Thank you for your review.

8. "Good for employee growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work-life balance
    Good bonus potential
    Average salary to market, maybe slightly less
    Great gym in office
    Transparency across the company on initiatives and quarterly all hands meetings
    Support learning and growth - Lynda.com subscriptions for all employees and allow employees to move between business units if you have interest in other positions.
    Women's leadership group will hopefully motivate management to add some females at the CXO level.

Cons

There's still a good amount of turnover, they could work on their culture
    Corporate culture, have to be willing to work hard and keep up

Advice to Management

Continue to foster employee growth and continue to build employee culture.

Mar 31, 2017 – HR

Thank you for your review! We are happy to hear you feel you can grow within our organization. We will pass your feedback along to our Talent Management and HR teams team who is currently working... More

9. "Product Owner"

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time

Pros

Comprehensive BI software that uses a lot of technology

Cons

Company culture and environment doesn't support training and learning from the best of software industry.

Advice to Management

Listen more employee and view from their perspective

Mar 31, 2017 – HR

We appreciate your review. We are not sure when you worked at MicroStrategy, but for the past year we have implemented numerous educational trainings on both our product and employee development. We... More

"Fun & Relaxed Environment to Work"

Current Employee - Technical Support Associate in Tysons Corner, VA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Associate in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Dress Code
    - Benefits/Perks
    - Positive environment
    - Smart coworkers
    - Everyone is extremely helpful to a newer employee-- even if you have a million questions

Cons

I honestly have nothing negative to say. I am very happy that I decided to form my own opinion on the environment at MicroStrategy instead of listening to the negative reviews!

Mar 21, 2017 – HR

Thank you for the cheerful review! We wish you continued success at MicroStrategy.