MicroStrategy Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
MicroStrategy Chairman, President, and CEO Michael J. Saylor
Michael J. Saylor

Pros
Cons
  • upper management takes too much time to get things done (in 50 reviews)

• Work life balance sometimes gets challenged (in 13 reviews)

1. "Innovative company in growing industry with amazing platform for enterprise analytics and mobility."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You get to work with smart, motivated and interesting people on an amazing product.

Cons

No time for lunch :).

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the envelope to make great advances in the BI industry, in order to make our customers successful.

May 5, 2017 – HR

Thank you for your cheerful review. We appreciate your feedback and we will communicate this to our product teams. Wishing you success and more time to enjoy lunch at MicroStrategy :)

"Not a good experience"

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My team was full of smart, helpful, kind people, and they are the only thing I truly miss about MicroStrategy. The gym was nice, as was the easy access to the mall. Work/ life balance was good on my team, but that is not true company-wide.

Cons

If you are a recent grad/ early-career, stay far away. Many teams use old tech with bad code quality, and some products aren't unit tested at all. If you are lucky enough to be on a team using modern tech, expect to work long hours while upper management breathes down your neck. You will always be pushed to finish tasks as quickly as possible, even at the expense of code quality, documentation, and testing.

Management needs to improve. Middle management only served to pass down orders from the top. Ideas from lower-level employees were often ignored and concerns were often dismissed out of hand. Everyone is expected to be a yes-man, and the culture is based in fear. I have seen managers yell and lash out at team members in anger.

The review/ promotion/ raise process is incredibly biased and, frankly, illogical. Team members with different responsibilities and experience levels essentially fight for the same promotions, which fosters competition and discourages teamwork. Upper management will push lower-level managers to lower an employee's review score just to limit the number of good reviews in the team. It is also difficult to figure out how you need to improve in order to be considered for a raise, as there are no leveling charts or written job descriptions.

Management loves to talk about how "transparent" they are, but that really couldn't be further from the truth. It was not unusual to come in to work to find that your team's responsibilities had completely changed overnight. Some might say that this is a by-product of how "agile" the company is, but I believe it is possible to be agile while still communicating effectively with your employees.

The salaries are fairly competitive, but the other benefits could be better. The company is very proud of their Lynda usage, but Lynda is not a substitute for tuition reimbursement or conference attendance. Other perks like Food Truck Fridays and the pool table do not make up for everything else.

Advice to Management

Actually be transparent. Encourage employees to come forward with their ideas and concerns, and actively help your team reach their career goals instead of keeping them down. Learn what younger employees look for in a workplace and make changes so they'll want to stay.

"Hilariously bad"

Former Employee - Tech Support Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Tech Support Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I could write a book about my experiences at this company

Cons

All of those experiences I would write about in my book, outside of friendship and the nice people I worked with, were strange, sad, or inappropriate.

Advice to Management

Say "Next" to the CEO, make smart decisions despite what the strange leadership here might tell you to do

May 18, 2017 – HR

Thank you for your review and your service with MicroStrategy.

"Run!!!!"

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Vienna, VA

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Team-level colleagues were terrific.

Cons

The reviews aren't kidding. This place is crazy.

Top level management is too busy sucking up to CEO to offer anything of value. People are in charge that have no business in the business, like the clueless joke of a CTO that no one in tech actually respects.

There's back-stabbing, constant reorgs, miserable employees, whiplash from all the changes in direction that go well beyond just normal business decisions, arbitrary rules, whiney good ol' boys getting their way not because they have a clue, but because they think they're entitled, and there's not even the flexibility offered at most tech companies.

Oh, and then there's the sexual harassment and downright prejudice.

It's a wonder MSTR has managed to stay open this long, but with all these issues and a product that frankly is pretty behind the market, I doubt for too much longer.

Advice to Management

Like management here takes advice. They know everything. Just ask them.

6. "Good First Job out of College"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Good work-life balance.
    - Good place to lear about BI

Cons

- No career progress
    - Lots of re-org

Feb 9, 2017 – HR

Thanks for your review! We are happy to hear you are enjoying your first job out of college at MicroStrategy. Your manager is a great resource to address any concerns you may have regarding your ... More

7. "Good Learning Opportunity"

Current Employee - Senior Oracle Database Administrator/AWS Systems Engineer in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The scope of learning and enhancing your skills in newer technologies is immense.

Cons

Not a good payer. The vision is not that solid.

Dec 13, 2016 – HR

Thank you for your review. We wish you continued success at MicroStrategy!

"You take the good with the bad"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

At the beginning, work was fun. Great work/life balance, great management. Even in the first hiring freeze we had, we stayed together. There was a huge family and team atmosphere at the time and, as cheesy as it sounds, we felt like "we're all in this together.

Cons

But things changed as time went on. They have a very interesting way of decreasing the team size, increasing the workload and wondering why people are unhappy. They punished people for speaking out about the crappy work conditions. We had a revolving door of VPs and Executives because the CEO was never happy. He only wanted "yes" men. When people told him the ship was sinking, he fired them. And the ship kept sinking.

Advice to Management

Don't make 5 people do the work of 10 people. Hire engineers. Pay them at least the industry average. Just because you've done things a certain way for a long time, doesn't mean it's the right way. Be humble enough to change.

Nov 7, 2016 – HR

Thank you for your review and your work with MicroStrategy. Your feedback is important and we will pass this along to our management and CXO teams.

"Software Engineer"

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice offices, nice gym, generous vacation, smart and hard-working colleagues

Cons

Senior management is useless. The only senior manager that matters is Saylor. The technology is slowly showing that cannot keep pace with companies like Tableau. Our CTO is clueless and a very poor leader. We spend more time dealing with bureaucratic stuff instead of actually improving the product. We keep hiring Senior VPs with huge salary packages but we cannot increase a key engineer salary by 10k.

Advice to Management

They will not listen or care so why even bother....

May 23, 2016 – HR

We appreciate you providing feedback on MicroStrategy. We look forward to bringing up your past concerns with our Technology leadership team.

10. "EVP NA Sales"

Current Employee - EVP of NA Sales in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - EVP of NA Sales in Washington, DC

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We have brought some great sales talent and leaders into the company in the last 18 months. I am really proud of the transformation in our sales and customer service culture.

Cons

We still have work to do to get the "new" MicroStrategy better known in the marketplace.

Advice to Management

More aggressively market our brand in addition to our products.

"Was a great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

Pros

Great benefits, fantastic environment, always learning new stuff. I always had a tremendous amount of freedom to come up with solutions to a wide range of situations. Mike Saylor was a great visionary, not afraid to try new directions.

Cons

It was sometimes a bit confusing as to the direction the company was heading. This is sometimes a downside of having a leader like Saylor. The minute management started paying attention to the short term goals of Wall Street, the company changed for the worse.