MicroStrategy Employee Reviews about "great people"

Updated Jan 15, 2021

3.3
MicroStrategy Chairman, President, and CEO Michael J. Saylor
Michael J. Saylor
Pros
  • "Work life balance is good to me(in 97 reviews)

• "Great people, modern product, true data governance(in 48 reviews)

• Cons
  • "A lot of new upper management hires(in 66 reviews)

• "Chaotic senior management and powerless low and mid-level managers(in 36 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Gender

This rating reflects the overall rating of MicroStrategy and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "great people"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great company with great tech and great people

Jan 15, 2021 - Sales Engineer in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work environment and great people

Cons

Career growth path isn't as clear as it could be

2. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Need more leaders

Aug 24, 2020 - Account Executive in Dallas, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people that work there

Cons

Leadership is stuck in the past

3. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Not the best company to work for

Feb 14, 2020 - Software Engineer in Tysons Corner, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

work life balance gym some great people That's it.

Cons

Upper management are trash. Literally TRASH. They don't value any talent. People don't get promoted or compensation change because they work hard with high performance, but get those because people are leaving. Also, people in the same level get the same compensation change no matter how well you perform. There is absolutely no motivation and no career growth opportunity in this company. Also, the upper management has no idea how our product works. They change the feature spec according to their personal preference. In sum, if you're a new grad, it's a good place to gain some experience. However, if you're an engineer with couple of years experience, you have no chance to join the company because they have no money hiring experienced people.

MicroStrategy Response

HR Manager

We appreciate the feedback. Over the last six months, we’ve made enhancements to our quarterly employee performance process, which evaluates employees’ 360 feedback, goal completion, and their now their compensation and promotional opportunities. This allows the company to be agile and compensate employees at important points in their career instead of waiting for an annual promotion cycle. As a result of last quarter’s performance cycle, almost 30% of our Technology team members were promoted globally. We are excited to celebrate them for their hard work and contributions! There have also been on-going efforts by leadership to support professional development and internal mobility. Part of these efforts include new career paths in Technology that provide employees with an ongoing mechanisms to enhance their skills and knowledge, leading them to future promotions and positions at MicroStrategy. If you ever have concerns about your performance review, please reach out to your manager or HR team member who can talk further about the performance process and how to determine the next steps in your career at MicroStrategy.

4. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Use caution or avoid all together

Dec 5, 2019 - Analyst
      Business Outlook

Pros

Handful of great people free parking decent coffee nice gym

Cons

Overall Business Perspective: - Very little to be optimistic about here. I foresee the company experiencing more challenges as current customers leave to implement more flexible well-rounded solutions that are native to the cloud, and, are likely cheaper as well. - From a Gartner Magic Quadrant perspective, hard to see MicroStrategy maintaining challenger status. As more customers leave, I would predict niche player status sooner rather than later. Not being a native cloud based solution will continue to hold them back and because IT involvement is so necessary in implementation, it's tough to envision anything but a decline from Gartner in the future. - Financials are weak. Publicly traded so all information is available and would highly recommend reviewing.... Income statement should strike concern in any sound investor. Revenue and gross income down year over year at a steady pace since 2015 (maybe even longer). Net cashflow trends are even worse… Leadership: -Revolving door lol Personal Experience: - Reported to a VP who was difficult to work with. - Much of management was difficult to work with, I suspect because they struggled to understand the priorities of the day, week, month, etc. because of the lack of strong institutional guidance. - I'd describe the environment as "just trying to keep the ship from sinking" at all times. How it ended: - Left a really good job for an opportunity at MicroStrategy to help with quite a few process changes and upgrades. Once everything was seemingly completed and a lot of the painpoints were resolved, was laid off without any warning. My only guess to why... light revenues were being seen yet again, and leadership had to cut costs to try to save on revenue margins???? Or they just wanted an extra set of hands to help with some short term issues they were dealing with, and once everything was good then there was no need for me any longer. Either way, tough way to treat employees Long Story Short: - Use caution or avoid completely. - Not worth the risk and better off where you are now or continue searching for a stronger company

5. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

great technology not so good CXO management

Jul 19, 2019 - Vice President in Tysons Corner, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

great people, good pay very robust product

Cons

product quality, office politics, lack of customer focus, and CXO management is like a revolving door

10 people found this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great People in a Fast Paced and Rewarding Environment

Jun 26, 2019 - Director in Vienna, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, benefits and lots of challenges for those willing to look. I enjoyed my time there. Compensation is very competitive.

Cons

Full engagement of all employees isn't always achieved, but they have implemented programs to improve that.

7. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Unfortunate Place to Work

Jul 8, 2019 - Marketing/Sales/Education
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are a few great people here. And it looks like a fun place to work, ping pong, beer/coffee taps, darts - but these are for show, actually using them would be an anomaly.

Cons

Can you say fire drills? Lacking long term vision, and poor management leads to constant fire drills, that get in the way of doing your job. If you like to play the politics game, you’ll like it here.

23 people found this review helpful
    8. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good company to start at, get more money in salary than bonus

May 3, 2019 - Technical Account Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great technology, great people, very smart people. Every one is nice and works together. GREAT food truck days for quarterly updates.

Cons

Not a lot of process written down. A lot of it is figuring out what the team before did. Not a lot of great communication between teams. Only real way to get promotions or more pay is to leave and come back. Which they have a lot of people that do...just pay your people more, GIVE STOCK OPTIONS to employees instead of them having to buy it like non-employees

2 people found this review helpful

MicroStrategy Response

HR Manager

We appreciate the honest feedback. We’re glad you found you worked on impressive technology with talented colleagues while you were at MicroStrategy. We love Food Truck Fridays as well. We agree, we could be better at capturing our processes to support training and future planning. Employee development and performance is a focus for us this year. We’re excited to say that we just promoted more than 300 employees globally, many of them internal transitions to new roles and teams. Every year we evaluate our benefit options for our employees and adjust according to employee and business needs. Thanks again for the feedback!

9. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Anonymous

Oct 25, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people Employee wellness is a big focus and the gym at HQ is great

Cons

Leadership MUST engage more with their teams and actively listen to employees; they do great at managing up to CEO, but not down. Decisions are made in a vacuum with no input from broader employee base; this has created discontent and lack of trust at all levels below executive leadership. Executive leadership is too focused on competing with one another and being "yes" men to CEO - too much ego at the top Salary is not competitive 401K vesting schedule should be revisited Too many meetings that add little to no value

10. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Solid product, GREAT people

Sep 7, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Awesome product, fairly flex/casual work environment, GREAT people

Cons

leadership needs to engage and LISTEN to the employees so they can lead better

2 people found this review helpful