MicroStrategy Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jan 10, 2021

3.3
MicroStrategy Chairman, President, and CEO Michael J. Saylor
Michael J. Saylor
Pros
  • "Work life balance is good to me(in 97 reviews)

• "Great people, modern product, true data governance(in 48 reviews)

• Cons
  • "A lot of new upper management hires(in 66 reviews)

• "Chaotic senior management and powerless low and mid-level managers(in 36 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Gender

This rating reflects the overall rating of MicroStrategy and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

associate software engineer

Sep 4, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

1. Top work-life balance in China 2. Top hourly salary

Cons

1. Annoying training for product using, even for developer!

1 person found this review helpful
    2. 4.0

Overall good

Jan 10, 2021 - Financial Analyst in Tysons Corner, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good work life balance and great location

Cons

Bad organization and company cultural

Be the first to find this review helpful
    3. 1.0

Enter at your own risk

Dec 10, 2020 - Director/Vice President
      Business Outlook

Pros

CEO's tweets are often entertaining

Cons

The CEO/Chairman/majority shareholder uses this public company as his personal playground. For the 2nd half of 2020, he has been attempting to manipulate the markets for both Bitcoin and his company's stock. Just look at his tweets and the number of interviews and podcasts he's done since he invested all the company's cash into Bitcoin. Now he has the company do a public debt offering so he can borrow money to make an even bigger Bitcoin investment. This raises many questions: Is this company a tech company or an investment company? How much does the company put into software development vs Bitcoin investment? How is the Board allowing this to happen? Maybe it has something to do with them basing their decisions off of YouTube videos. Is the MicroStrategy website supposed to be promoting a product or Bitcoin? Are CEO's allowed to make outrageous and factually untrue statements about something that has a direct effect on that company's stock price? Even if you make yourself comfortable with all of that, you face one of the most demanding work environments you'll ever work in. Unreasonable and completely arbitrary deadlines. Absolutely no consideration for employees' personal lives or any form of work life balance. Passive aggressive micromanagement from the top. Centralized decision making by two individuals - nobody has the ability or nerve to question them, and employee's work blindly and exhaustively on pet projects that never get off the ground.

23 people found this review helpful
    4. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

can't give a real title or tenure because there are witch hunts for each negative review

Sep 4, 2020 - Technical Support Engineer in Tysons Corner, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Well the benefits other than pay are slightly above industry average, especially the vacation.

Cons

The title should shed some light on how the company is doing. Suffice it to say I've been at MicroStrategy a long time and won't be here much longer. Let's start with the biggies: -Management is entirely top down, CXOs make decisions without any input and swing WILDLY between initiatives that completely conflict with each other vis a vis resources, time, and attention required. The end result is that nothing actually gets completed and everything released is half done at best. -Pay used to be below average for the area; it is now a joke. Most positions are underpaid a good 20-50%. One person I know left and got a 100% pay increase. -Management is comically petty at almost every level - take the title as a good example. We had layoffs in July that targeted a good half of the top performers and the five worst people in Support are still employed today. They weren't based on income or on performance (we were told the latter specifically by management, the former was found out), which means the only cause was "well I didn't like _____." -Work life balance used to be mostly okay, but about two to three years ago it just vanished all at once. Developers have to work crunch weekends or got terrible performance reviews, and Support started going on site visits with no stated hours per day and had to do 24/7 shifts for funsies. Also if you don't answer a call/text on the weekend, even if you're not on a shift, you get told off as "rude." -HR exists to defend the company and executives for lawsuits and absolutely nothing else. Anything you say to them will reach your managers. -The top execs of the company are just universally mean spirited and will effectively schoolyard bully people in large meetings as a sort of ritualized crucifiction. This is considered normal and "part of the job." Miscellaneous goofiness: -If you aren't sales nobody high up cares about you because you can't attach a direct dollar amount to yourself. This is masqueraded as "we're a data driven company." -Our new CFO left less than a year after coming on board, and had she stayed just a bit longer to make it over a year, she would have gotten 9 million dollars in vested stock options. She turned down NINE MILLION DOLLARS to not work another second at MicroStrategy. -MicroStrategy has more VPs than most derelict buildings have rats, so the actual structure of the company is completely bonkers. -There's some pasta left on the support floor that's rotted in the office. -The product has been dying for years as we keep losing market share, while the company brags about their terrible gartner position of "challenger" despite the fact that the company is over 20 years old in the sector. -Prior to layoffs, we had 500mil (half of our market cap) in cash and cash equivs. What to do? Ah yes, lay off roughly ~11mil a year in people, then buy a quarter bil of bitcoin and another chunk in stock buybacks. It's really just a madlibs of a company. -Most recently, pivot to cloud! Then lay off a ton of your best cloud people!

33 people found this review helpful
    5. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Support department is grueling and lacks work-life balance

May 22, 2020 - Support Engineer in Tysons Corner, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great colleagues and Great learning center resources

Cons

1. Terrible work-life balance 2. Consistent overtime with no possibility of compensation

7 people found this review helpful
    6. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Toxic Company

Apr 29, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

decent benefits, access to suite tickets

Cons

- very toxic environment to be working in - absolutely no work/life balance in most roles (that's just the MicroStrategy way) - the "company values" don't apply to the executives. for example there's no transparency! people are constantly being terminated and there's little to no communication about these. - constant organizational changes! way too much for an organization of this size.... - the COVID communications made by the CEO were inhuman and shows how he really feels about his employees and only is concerned about making money. Yes this is a business, but it wouldn't be a business if it weren't for the people working for you! - most of the negative reviews on here are true, so please think twice before taking a position with this company.

20 people found this review helpful
    7. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Not the best company to work for

Feb 14, 2020 - Software Engineer in Tysons Corner, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

work life balance gym some great people That's it.

Cons

Upper management are trash. Literally TRASH. They don't value any talent. People don't get promoted or compensation change because they work hard with high performance, but get those because people are leaving. Also, people in the same level get the same compensation change no matter how well you perform. There is absolutely no motivation and no career growth opportunity in this company. Also, the upper management has no idea how our product works. They change the feature spec according to their personal preference. In sum, if you're a new grad, it's a good place to gain some experience. However, if you're an engineer with couple of years experience, you have no chance to join the company because they have no money hiring experienced people.

13 people found this review helpful

MicroStrategy Response

HR Manager

We appreciate the feedback. Over the last six months, we’ve made enhancements to our quarterly employee performance process, which evaluates employees’ 360 feedback, goal completion, and their now their compensation and promotional opportunities. This allows the company to be agile and compensate employees at important points in their career instead of waiting for an annual promotion cycle. As a result of last quarter’s performance cycle, almost 30% of our Technology team members were promoted globally. We are excited to celebrate them for their hard work and contributions! There have also been on-going efforts by leadership to support professional development and internal mobility. Part of these efforts include new career paths in Technology that provide employees with an ongoing mechanisms to enhance their skills and knowledge, leading them to future promotions and positions at MicroStrategy. If you ever have concerns about your performance review, please reach out to your manager or HR team member who can talk further about the performance process and how to determine the next steps in your career at MicroStrategy.

8. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Good place to start career

Aug 21, 2019 - Associate Software Engineer In Test
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good work life balance and decent compensation

Cons

Hard to learn new stuff

1 person found this review helpful
    9. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good place to start but not to stay

Oct 29, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The pros are in the people and the location. There are some very intelligent and kind people at the company. Everyone always seems to have a good attitude and are willing to help each other out. For a first job out of college, it is great. The starting pay is alright (albeit a little under the market rate), you develop some strong skills, and the culture is fun. The work life balance is fairly good too. Aside from some tension close to releases, work generally stays in the office and people's lives aren't heavily impacted outside of work hours. Beyond that the office is great. A gym on location, a lounge with plenty of free coffee and other drinks, and the office is located right next to the best mall in the entire DMV area. There's a good holiday party too.

Cons

The cons amount to so much more than the pros. While lower and middle management are amazing the upper management is a constant headache. There is a blatant divide between the upper management and the rest of company. Far too often, upper management blatantly ignores what workers are asking for. When 80% of employee responses in a public survey asked for more remote work opportunities, the management ignored this and instead addressed a request for ice cream that was clearly a joke response. It felt like such a slap in the face to not even have our complaints acknowledged and to be given ice cream as if we're children. Upper management's decisions are all over the place. The "company direction" is always getting rerouted and projects that have been significantly developed are suddenly scrapped when the upper management decides to develop something else. There's an environment of fear where a lot of decisions made at a lower level are just to please the CTO and, especially, the CEO even when they don't make sense from the perspective of engineering and product quality. Furthermore, upper management is constantly too ambitious and expects far too much to be developed for the amount of people the company has. There are regularly last minute changes in scope and patches being rolled out because everything that was demanded was unachievable from the beginning. Product quality ends up suffering and key issues get patched over without being truly fixed. The company does not do nearly enough for retaining quality employees. I can't imagine what went through management's heads when they decided to make a huge hiring push AND gave all the new hires large increases in their starting salaries. Now we're losing experienced engineers because there isn't enough money to go around for the raises and promotions they deserve. Some people who have multiple years of experience under their belt are making barely a few thousand over the fresh college hires. This has created a high turnover among junior employees that seems to be getting worse and worse every year. Engineers with the most potential quickly jump ship for a company that pays them what they should earn. Lastly, I have to mention that recruitment straight up LIES to candidates. They advertise that new engineers will get to choose their teams, will always receive the full quarterly bonus, and will receive automatic promotions. All of this is untrue. The financial incentives change every quarter and even the standard 1 year promotions aren't guaranteed. Everyone is assigned to teams regardless of their preferences as well. I'm not sure if this is a disconnect between recruiting and management but it needs to stop as it quickly sours new employees once they realize they've been lied to and drives the high turnover rate of younger employees that I mentioned earlier. Like I said, this is a good first job out of college but that's it. I would not grow a career here based on how the management is performing.

14 people found this review helpful
    10. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to transition into software sales.

Apr 10, 2019 - Business Development Representative in Tysons Corner, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Work life balance. - Wonderful group of people you will be working with, from Sales Enablement, Co-workers, to even VPs. easy to approach. - Great product line! - 401K, 12% match, 50 cents on the dollar. - Great employee lounge. Free sodas, cold brew, all the coffee in the world on every floor, games, pool table, darts, and of course... the free beers on tap. 2 per day. - Managers and leaders are willing to take criticism and act to improve. - BDR current pay plan is nice. I don't expect it to last however.

Cons

- Too many cooks in the kitchen. The organization is very vertical, meaning there are a lot of people above you. They all have new initiatives they would like to run. - A lot of new upper management hires. I'm not saying those hires are bad, but with every new VP, they are bringing their own style and trying to make their own mark. This brings a lot of change and constant new initiatives or how to do things down to the foot soldiers. - Communication and Organization confusion. This is on 2 levels. 1. As a BDR we are classified as "marketing" that's confusing because the sales team says you work for them. When marketing wants you to run a campaign, you would then have to run it by your sales team to see if that is okay. Vice Versa. 2. Campaigns, messaging and events. Campaigns - When we run a campaign, often times the sales team does not want us to run them. If the campaign is for us to call people that attended an event, we need to check with the sales team to see if they want us to call them. Messaging - the messaging we have for these campaigns are often provided by the BD and Marketing teams. The sales team changes it and gives us something completely different to use which we will have to justify to our BD managers. Events - We were at an event and the training on how to man the booths happened... during our first shift of manning the booth. Luckily the booths are fairly self explanatory but a little planning would have solved this issue. Can you imagine a 3 week BD rep fresh out of college with a psychology degree trying to talk to software architects about federated analytics and data pools vs data silos.

2 people found this review helpful