Microbac Laboratories, Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Microbac Laboratories, Inc. CEO Cabot Earle
Cabot Earle

Pros
  • Fellow employees are generally good people (in 3 reviews)

• Great people to work for and with (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Meandering aimlessly, upper management attempts to pursue unrealistic opportunities then gives up (in 9 reviews)

• High turnover, extremely low employee morale (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A great place to work."

Current Employee - Shop Manager in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Shop Manager in Boulder, CO

Pros

Since starting at Microbac Laboratories, I have been treated with a tremendous amount of respect, and met with genuinely caring attitudes from every member of the business I have encountered from the top down. There is an immediate feeling of being part of something, which makes going to work everyday far more rewarding than the typical "job". The senior leadership takes a genuine interest in employees and their personal lives, without prying or being invasive. Even offering their personal time to help make sure employees have all that is needed to be the best employee possible.

A comprehensive benefits package, including generous PTO and bonuses, adds extra incentive to become part of the team at Microbac. Overall, the pros outweigh the cons drastically.

The work being done here at Microbac is very rewarding as well. Whether you have a PhD or a high school education, there is absolutely no shortage of learning to be done here.

Cons

Microbac, in recent years had some difficulties, and as a result there is apprehension about spending money. Nevertheless, they are finding creative ways to invest in the future of the company and move toward the growth of the business.

It should also be noted, for those thinking of relocating, that Boulder is a very expensive real estate market. There are many areas within 15-45 minutes of Boulder though, offering much more sensible housing costs. That being said, Boulder is expensive because it is amazing.

Advice to Management

Operate the business as if you have reached your goals. Hire the people who fit the company you want to become. Invest in the equipment that will attract the business you hope to gain in the future. All of this, rather than waiting for the growth of the business to justify the cost. This will put in to play a solid foundation to sustain the growth that is the goal of the company.

2. "Quality"

Current Employee - Quality in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Quality in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Microbac Laboratories, Inc. full-time

Pros

Flexible, Laid back team. Great people to work for and with.

Cons

Pay is not comparable to the amount of work. Raises are measly 3% at most. Performance evaluations are not held on schedule nor do they seem to be of an importance to management.

Mar 30, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your feedback. A number of our employees benefited from bonuses in August of last year, as well as March of this year. Know that we understand the importance of paying our team ... More

"Interesting and Challenging with so much potential."

Current Employee - Project Manager in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Boulder, CO

Pros

The nature of the work is varied. There are new projects coming through constantly, that keep things interesting. Every day presents a new challenge. Management at my location is actively working to grow a positive and progressive work environment. There has been turnover at some levels, but that offers a tremendous opportunity for someone who is willing to work hard and stay positive because they will easily be able to stand out and make a real difference. The current local management has done a good job hiring capable, qualified, progressive, and positive people, for positions when they are available. Not only, would I recommend my Microbac location to a friend, but I would say that now might be the best time to join the company. There is tremendous opportunity for company growth, and recent restructuring has provided tremendous opportunity for movement within the company as well.

Cons

Turnover (although an opportunity for those who stick it out) has made things challenging at times. It looks as if both of these Cons is in the process of changing for the better. Budgetary constraints may mean that you don’t get the top end of the market salary range for a specific position.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work on customer service and high laboratory standards. Stay positive, and continue working toward positive growth and reduced turnover. Learn from the past, and look toward the future. Maximize cross training of analysts and technicians. Provide as much opportunity as possible for career development within the company.

Mar 30, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you are seeing some of the effects of efforts to advance our Company. Our work is far from over.

"You work hard at Microbac expecting eventual appreciation that never comes."

Former Employee - Analyst III in Wilson, NC

Pros

In my time there I worked with some of the nicest people I've ever met. And since you spend more time with coworkers then you do with your own family most of the time that is important.

Cons

The managment doesn't value their employees at all. You are just a place holder to them. They want you to work like you are a robot at times and have nothing more important than the work.

Advice to Management

As managers you are in the drivers seat while the employees are the engine. If you continually mistreat your engine you won't go very far. You might get a couple of fast laps but you will never finish the race.

Mar 30, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

It is unfortunate that you felt unappreciated. We very much understand that the success of our company depends on the individual efforts and the successes of our staff teams. We encourage any ... More

"Analyst III"

Former Employee - Analyst III in Wilson, NC

I worked at Microbac Laboratories, Inc. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Really nice coworkers that treat each other like family for the most part. Flexible with work schedule.

Cons

They don't pay well and don't offer raises very often. Maybe a raise every 3-4 years. Heavy workload at times.A few managers are really great people the others however smart they are are horrible. Lots of bias, favoritism, and really clique.

Advice to Management

Don't be so thin skinned and understand people have a life outside of work.

Mar 30, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for both your comments and your service to Microbac! It is our goal to compensate individuals fairly and to offer competitive wages to our team members. Fluctuating workloads are ... More

"Miserable employees - contemptible management"

Current Employee - Chemist II in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Chemist II in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Microbac Laboratories, Inc. full-time

Pros

Most of the people I work with are hard working and really want to do a good job. They are eager to help each other and generally want to improve the work place. Direct managers want the job done well and try to give the worker the means to accomplish it.

Cons

The corporate human resources is non existent and seem ignorant of labor laws. Upper management is indifferent to the needs of the division employees. They make promises that are never kept and do not even bother to explain their reasoning for anything.

Advice to Management

At least act as though you care about the employees. Spread the money around a little.

Mar 30, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

Please contact the Talent Acquisitions/Development group within our Home Office. We would like to learn more about the needs as you have referenced so that we can ensure we are putting things in ... More

"Not the Best"

Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Microbac Laboratories, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My direct supervisors are very flexible and seem to try their best to appease their workers.

Cons

Everything else. Lots of turnover (for good reason)

Advice to Management

Corporate management should listen to their employees. The company suffers from insane turnover rates. Salary/benefits may be acceptable in some areas, but are not sufficient in places with a higher cost of living. Employees routinely feel undervalued and have trouble maintaining a good work life balance because of cuts/restrictions on paid time off. The division of work is unequal and often unfair.

Mar 30, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We are taking steps to ensure we are compensating our team members in a manner that is fair and competitive within our industry. While we do value work-life balance, we ... More

9. "Tax Accountant"

Current Employee - Tax Accountant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Tax Accountant in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Microbac Laboratories, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Microbac Laboratories, Inc. is a great place to work. The team members are professional and committed to the company’s success. I believe that I add value to the corporation in my role, and I feel that the management team cares about me as an employee. I highly recommend Microbac to job candidates.

Cons

I have nothing to add to this section. I believe that Microbac is a great company, and I appreciate the opportunity to work for the company.

Advice to Management

You are doing a great job! Continue to grow the business and give back to the employees. It is appreciated!

Mar 30, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your comments.

"Horrible company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I worked at Microbac Laboratories, Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smaller company, most of the people were awesome to work with

Cons

Management is horrible. Encouraged mediocrity. Pushed out their hard workers because they would not offer bonuses, raises, incentives. The lab was dirty and protocols were hardly followed. I would not recommend working here.

Advice to Management

Get new management.

Mar 30, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

It is unfortunate that you did not have a more positive experience with Microbac. We are working to ensure our high standards of quality are present throughout our organization and that team members ... More

"Over worked, unappreciated team"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilson, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilson, NC

Pros

Flexibility. Friendly employees. Some of the supervisors had initiative.

Cons

Long hours, no sense of appreciation for the effort put forth, no positive changes implemented in a long time