Micron Technology Reviews | Glassdoor

Micron Technology President and Chief Executive Officer Sanjay Mehrotra
Sanjay Mehrotra
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • good work life balance, good environment to work (in 65 reviews)

• The work environment is very stable, while there are layoffs from time to time they aren't that bad compared to a lot of places (in 66 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is not that good (in 62 reviews)

• usually long hours, but compensated well (in 30 reviews)

"3rd rate semi company in a 3 pony business"

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Boise, ID

I worked at Micron Technology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is tough. I can't say anything good about the products, tools, pay, culture, people, ethics, even the food. It's a factory. If you are good being a factory line employee and want a steady pay check, knock yourself out.

Cons

Dear God...

The place is endemic of failed technology and business plans. Most long term "4 digit" employees are simply doing what they can to spare their job and retire. They have created fiefdoms and rampant politics and are simply waiting to retire.

The newer generation is comprised of weak engineers in a 3rd place DRAM company.

They love technology by name only, but have no tenacity to see anything but dumb DRAM production. Remember all their temporal investments that went NOWHERE? NOR Flash, solar, projectors, CMOS sensors, RFID, Automata Processor, HMC, and the list goes on. They look high tech but play like a factory from the rust belt in 1951.

Another aspect is their failure in attracting talent. They attract whomever will come for pennies on the dollar and celebrate world class failures from Intel and government labs. They look impressive but haven't shipped products and lead failing teams.

There is rampant misappropriation of funds to hide pet projects. This is wrong by all standards of business conduct.

Even the core DRAM business is broken. The tools and processes for modern semi design and semi custom flows don't exist. A modern EE graduate will date their skills joint Micron.

Advice to Management

Wipe the whole place clean.

2. "Electrical engineer"

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Boise, ID

I have been working at Micron Technology (Less than a year)

Pros

All are good person and teach, learn everything's

Cons

I have to share our knowledge

Advice to Management

Interested for working in your country

3. "Great Company and Culture"

Former Employee - Marketing Program Manager in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Marketing Program Manager in Boise, ID

I worked at Micron Technology (Less than a year)

Pros

I was only a contractor for a few months but for that short duration it was a great company to work at.

Cons

The fact I did not get to work their longer due to the layoff

4. "Global supply manager"

Former Employee - GSM in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - GSM in Boise, ID

I worked at Micron Technology (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work with some great people.

Cons

Management can't make a decision. Frequent layoffs. Way behind competition in technology. Good old boy network. Very top heavy, directors with one or two reports.

Advice to Management

Thin out the top.

5. "Personal experience"

Former Contractor - Contract in Boise, ID
    Former Contractor - Contract in Boise, ID

I worked at Micron Technology as a contractor

Pros

None I can think of.

Cons

You never know when your number is up no matter how good and dependable an employee you are. Management will lie to you till your last minute there. You find out you no longer work there when you go to work and your ID doesn't work, because your not even worth a phone call the night before.

Advice to Management

Treat others as you would want others to treat you, if you were human that is.

6. "Potato Farmer=MSEE"

Former Employee - Potato Farmer in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Potato Farmer in Boise, ID

I worked at Micron Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have cutting edge FABs
    Boise has a low cost of living
    They do have the most efficient and therefore lowest cost DRAM design.
    Mormons come to your house regularly and knock on the door.

Cons

This ridiculous attitude that a potato farmer can do anything an engineer can. This is just a slap in the face of someone that has spent 5 years or more in college and taking classes in transistor theory and quantum mechanics.

Somehow they have multiple non-engineers that have been able to rise up into engineering roles. I assume this is due to just desperation to have bodies to take care of jobs. I mean it is Boise, ID. It is way out there in the wilderness. Who you gonna get? Well, you go get potato farmers and bring them over to design you a transistor.

Trying to have intelligent work related conversations with these complete morons is just a waste of time. They try to come across as if they know something but yet they are just clueless. This is because they don't even have the most basic of EE technical knowledge. Such as V=IR or P=VI.

Too much power is given to the production people and it goes to their head. Getting scolded by some moron production manager is painful. More potato farmers with no education.

DRAM and memory in general is extremely boring. It makes me yawn. It is just farming. It's a product that you have no control over the price. The price is the market price. Just like farming potatoes. They are DRAM farmers.

I got out of there fast.

Advice to Management

Show more respect for the engineers that make life possible there. This is the EEs with BSEE, MSEE, and Ph.D.
    Drop this ridiculous attitude there that education doesn't matter and everyone is the same.
    Come out with more differentiated products.

"Revolving door for employees as cyclical business needs change ."

Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Micron Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good for people who like big corporate culture and politics. If you need a job in Boise, Idaho this may be a good match.

Cons

Be ready to loose your job with minimum severance. Below average salaries and benefits. Very few opportunities for growth. Cyclical business offered less stability.

Advice to Management

Make it difficult for mass layoffs by increasing severance pay. Stop treating engineering talent as disposable resource.
    Accountability in hiring, layoffs, acquisitions and spinoffs

"Oh Hell NO!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manassas, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manassas, VA

I worked at Micron Technology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Paid time off? Not even that really

Cons

Terrible management, not so subtle sexism-women are almost treated like aww isn't that cute, she wants to be a manager-hilarious!!, very prominent old boys club culture mostly white male. Work life balance?? What on earth is that?? If u badge out at 4:59 there's a high possibility u will be called out for leaving "early" even if Uve been Getting more done than the entire team. Smart work isn't appreciated, long hours are. Oh and if you're a female with kids, you're screwed!! Ur commitment is subtly questioned if u need to leave for anything to do with family that isn't a life threatening emergency. Honestly I woke up to my potential and more than doubled my income ( and work for a place that respects the fact that my family comes first) after leaving this shithole.

Advice to Management

It's the 21st century!! Wake the hell up!! Flexibility is a huge priority nowadays and nobody worth their salt will put up with this crap.

9. "Worst management ever"

Former Employee - Performance Architect in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Performance Architect in Boise, ID

I worked at Micron Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Potentially interesting work
    Health insurance and 401K

Cons

Inexperienced and untrained management with poor communication skills, low integrity, and no leadership skills. My manager created the most dysfunctional and hostile team I've worked with in my 30 year career.

Your time and talent would be better spent anywhere else.

Advice to Management

Get management training and do a better job at monitoring your new first line managers.

10. "Unprofessionalism in upper management and HR"

Current Employee - ASIC Verification Engineer in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - ASIC Verification Engineer in Boise, ID

I have been working at Micron Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Large company with unprofessionalism in upper management

Cons

HR M P talks nice before joining. After joining her behaviour is total unethical and disreputable as throwing you in garbage by ignoring your mails, arrogantly replying to your calls etc.,
    Unprofessional Managers by lying to you with false promises and no transparency.
    Expensive food in cafetaria. Not even 1% subsidized.
    No referral bonus.
    No christmas/new year shutdown.

Advice to Management

Outsource your HR system by Shift+Delete your existing yuck HRs

Showing 72 of 1,182 reviews