Micron Technology Reviews | Glassdoor

Micron Technology President and Chief Executive Officer Sanjay Mehrotra
Sanjay Mehrotra

1,105 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • good work life balance, good environment to work (in 65 reviews)

• The work environment is very stable, while there are layoffs from time to time they aren't that bad compared to a lot of places (in 66 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is not that good (in 62 reviews)

• usually long hours, but compensated well (in 30 reviews)

1. "Micron is doing a lot of things very well."

Current Employee - Test Engineer in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Test Engineer in Boise, ID

Pros

If there's one word I could use to describe Micron, it would be "improvement." Since its founding, Micron leadership has been extremely focused on learning and getting better at everything we do. It's amazing to see the change and refinement that has happened just in the past few years. The culture of improvement permeates the whole company.

The size of the company provides a lot of opportunities for career changes and exposure to different fields of work. When I started to realize the field of work I was in wasn't where I wanted to be in the long run, there were a lot of options for broadening my horizons. Micron's education assistance was especially helpful.

Micron has a lot of locations, but Boise has been a wonderful place for my family and me. A lot of people here are transplants, so there's a very open social scene among employees. Boise is also a great place for outdoor recreation.

Cons

Micron is in a volatile industry, so it operates under a high level of risk. About 10% of the workforce was laid off in 2007, and there were a similar number of layoffs about 5 years before that. Having said that, Micron has really gotten good at taking care of the people they lay off. People I knew who were laid off were given generous severance packages and job placement assistance.

Micron gives its managers a lot of leeway within their areas, so there can be some wide variance with regard to dress code, hours worked, etc. Some areas are more relaxed, but others will work you far too much, in my opinion.

Advice to Management

Learn from every mistake and don't repeat them.

Be very careful in your selection of VPs and upper management. Some (like Otte) really have a bad image among the employees, because they seem abrasive, dim, or both.

You are starting to recognize that the most important job qualification is not "number of years at Micron," but a lot of that still goes on. Some of your brightest minds are passed up for promotions based on seniority, and if there isn't more improvement Micron will risk a stagnation of ideas.

2. "A great American Company"

Current Employee - Engineer in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Engineer in Boise, ID

Pros

One of the best companies in the world for advanced technology development. You have the tools to do the job and plenty of challenges. Always exciting. Friendly but competitive enviroment. You can feel proud at the end of the day about a job well done. Boise is great. This company is full of hard driving folks that really care about the company and community. They've done a great job growing from a homegrown start up to an international powerhouse while competing against government backed enterprises...truly an American success story. Great innovation going on here!

Cons

hard work in a tough industry

Advice to Management

Keep up the communication - the team supports you and Micron but has huge thirst for information especially during these difficult ecmonomic times

3. "Good Loyal Company, Challenging Industry"

Former Employee - Equipment Technician in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Equipment Technician in Boise, ID

Pros

I enjoyed my time at Micron and was treated well. They paid for my BS Degree and were flexible with my schedule.

Good benefits and pay. Fair to all employees and promoted for hard work.

Cons

Promoted some people beyond their skills. Mid-Level Engineering was a bit of a good old boy society. Management were not easy to talk too.

Advice to Management

Be oper to employees and come down the clean room to see how things were going. Make sure Engineers and Technicians on the floor are not ignored.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

Pros

I am very content to be where I am and think that I've been treated fairly and compensated properly for my level.

Cons

I wish telecommuting and summer flex hours were allowed. Telecommuting would help keep people who can complete their job from home off the road and summer flex hours (work four long days) would give families more flexibility in vacationing and spending time with their kids.

Advice to Management

Implement a corporate policy that at least encourages summer flex scheduling. People will get their job done even if they have to come in when they didn't plan on it (we do already).

5. "Technical Writer"

Current Employee - Technical Writer in Manassas, VA
    Current Employee - Technical Writer in Manassas, VA

I have been working at Micron Technology full-time

Pros

This is the best company that I've ever worked at. They are committed to their employees and helping them progress in their careers. They have an excellent training program. I've taken over 40 courses both in person and online. Bonuses paid out twice a year for meeting site goals, once a year for corporate goals.

Cons

Due to shift requirements in a manufacturing company, there is little flexibility for works schedules for everyone. This applies to no fab workers, too.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in the employees' careers.

6. "Good pay, benefits, and resources."

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Longmont, CO
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Longmont, CO

I worked at Micron Technology full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Micron provided our division with good resources and capital to get the job done. The pay was excellent along with the best vacation of any company that I have work for as seniority was gained.

Cons

Micron had many problems with managing and understanding a group outside of Boise especially with a technology that was outside of the DRAM world.

Advice to Management

Don't even waste your time with smaller companies that cannot be absorbed into the Boise ecosystem.

7. "It is very good company to start your career and grow."

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Manassas, VA
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Manassas, VA

I have been working at Micron Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and compensation provided.

Cons

Annual/Semi Annual bonuses are very infrequent and very little

8. "Great future ahead"

Current Employee - Layout Designer in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Layout Designer in Boise, ID

I have been working at Micron Technology full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

2013 will be a positive transitional year!

Cons

I have no issues at this time.

9. "Integrated friendly static; a treasure in a valley"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Boise, ID

I have been working at Micron Technology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Integrated friendly, worry-free work relationship

Cons

static environment, change happens but in a slow phase

10. "Micron Technology, Inc"

Pros

Great company. Focus on learning and advancing not only their technology but advancing their team. Very committed to educating and advancing their people. Great benefits. Time off rolls over and maxes out at 999 hours. No use it or lose it policy. Health care facilty with doctors and nurses on site. Recreational facilties are fantastic. If you like the gym.. its there for you.

Cons

A downsizing company in the Boise area. 2/3 of Micron's US facilities are now empty. The general push is universally believed withing the company's personnel to be the eventual movement of all facilities out of the US.

Advice to Management

Company is great. Keep up the good work!!

Showing 1,105 of 1,181 reviews