Cover image for Micron Technology
Logo

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Micron Technology Employee Reviews about "manager"

Updated Feb 5, 2023

Join the conversation on

Tech

635.9K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Employer-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Micron Technology~1648
Join the conversation on

Got a burning question about Micron Technology? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Micron Technology employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What's Fishbowl
Ask a Question

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Good benefits if you do your part and do well and succeed in your tasks + overachieve to bring in organizational development and growth.(in 399 reviews)
  • "The starting pay is good including stock options and OT pay(in 325 reviews)
  • "Great people and the company spends to ensure things get done right the first time.(in 255 reviews)
  • "Good Salary and bonuses.(in 182 reviews)
  • "culture is good and care for employee.(in 153 reviews)
Cons
  • "There is not much transferable skills and no work life balance(in 400 reviews)
  • "3) Management's planning is poor and sometimes unrealistic.(in 206 reviews)
  • "Just hope you have a good manager in charge of you otherwise it can feel like you are a babysitter.(in 89 reviews)
  • "Working late hours and 24/7 standby(in 87 reviews)
  • "They expect you to work long hours and still expect you to be present at work by 8:00 in the morning.(in 58 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Micron Technology and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "manager"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Somewhat interesting technical assignments. However, horrible culture( getting even worse)

Sep 1, 2020 - Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Somewhat interesting technical assignments if you get to work with the right people.

Cons

No flexibility CEO attitude and leadership. Mostly bringing only his Indian contacts to take over leadership positions. It is reflecting badly on micron culture . CEO attitude lacks leadership and diplomacy. He is a glorified technical manager which is totally different than being CEO. Working culutre is becoming toxic due to lack of leadership and bad strategic decisions that will definitely affect talent retention...

6 people found this review helpful
  2. 4.0
    Current Intern, less than 1 year

Good place to work

Jul 14, 2021 - Firmware Intern in Hyderābād
    Business Outlook

Pros

I think the experience differs with different teams. I found my mentor and manager very supportive and helpful even though we didn't meet in person during online internship.

Cons

I couldn't find any cons during my internship

3. Join the Micron Technology team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Pros and Cons

Mar 30, 2022 - Process Engineer in Singapore
    Business Outlook

Pros

Basic salary + 10% shift pay + OT pay combined for 1 basic engineer salary is higher than normal small company manager salary. A lot of other benefits as well

Cons

Competitive environment so you need to be outstanding to survive in this workplace.

5. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

R&D Engineer

Nov 27, 2018 - R&D Engineer in Boise, ID
    Business Outlook

Pros

Boise is a small and pretty city.

Cons

Summary: Very poor work-life balance - Less paid off time after new CEO toke office - Seriously week technical Leads and Managers - Vey cheap culture - extremely less career development and growth opportunities - Too political Recent Measures: • With new CEO, company turn over has increased hugely, and don't be too excited if you get an offer these days, as many kids are leaving. Ask for big pay, they have no choice, possibly they will accommodate you. • The new CEO has also came up with 7% layoff each year. If your manager wants to get rid of you, she/he will give you a low score, bing, you will need to go. Remember that there are no other opportunities in Boise other than Micron. For this reason, think really twice when you wana move to Idaho. Career Opportunities: • There are literally fewer opportunities to move up in the company. It's heavily depends on ' like-ability' not on your experience and qualifications. Experience and good team members’ left/leaving the team after a Non-qualified team member was assigned as lead. Shocking ... I can see this behavior across the department. Compensations & Benefits: • The pay is less than industry average. Often said Boise is a cheap city, however it's not as cheap as said at all. Recent migration from other states to Idaho has made the cost of living pretty high, housing is pricy; off course cheaper than Bay Area. • The new CEO has cut the 6th month bonus from last year, though company has historic revenue last year. • From this year, 4 of paid off days are removed from your flexible off time. The CEO office emailed us saying that “ to improve work-life balance”. Can you believe it? • The new policy won’t allow you to accumulate your leave for long time, you are forced to use them, or they will expire. I have heard from our international kids that this policy is hurting them a lot as they need long leave to travel and visit their family abroad. Work/Life Balance: • Though you may carry R&D title, work in here is 24/7, you get Paged almost every night. You are expected to reply Pages within 2 hours; otherwise your Manager will be Paged. The new CEO has came up with the idea of 12 months cadence, meaning product cycle is decreased from 24 month to 12 months, without increasing team members numbers. Senior Management: • You will be shocked to see how poor the technical Leads and Managers are. They don't understand the technical details of your work, so won't appreciate it. Culture & Values: • If you are from top 50 US universities, you will be very alone here. Kids here are from schools you haven't heard of, or some cases with no formal education. I came across a former bar tender that was teaching Engineer kids about a semiconductor tool. • Company has a very poor and cheap culture. Engineers are treated like kids and often managers openly say that the main responsibility of an Engineer is to make lead/manager happy, that’s it, and you guess the rest. Since you are in Idaho, you are treated like you haven’t seen decent cities or never interacted with decent people. Recently we have couple of coffee machines installed across campus; we keep getting emails from managers on how great we are and how greatly we are celebrating our success. Dude, almost every village on this Planet has coffee machine.

15 people found this review helpful
  6. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 10 years

Lead Engineer

Apr 19, 2020 - Lead Engineer in Boise, ID
    Business Outlook

Pros

Exciting, fast-paced environment. Pay is decent but can take years to work up to a salary north of six figures if you do not have a PhD. Micron respects the degree above all else. Hands down, I have had the pleasure of working with some of the BEST people over my career.

Cons

Shifting priorities seemingly overnight. Split (by design) departments must cohabitate, but each is held to significantly different standards. Therefore issues occur when work is getting done in the manufacturing area. Also, if you do not have the word 'manager' in your job title, your ability to lead and drive change is extremely limited. I joined leadership because I thrive in this role. However, I quickly became disillusioned due to lack of authority and make decisions regarding people's performance evaluations and year rewards. Do not get me wrong, I am not power-hungry, I don't care about that. It's just that I have to go to my boss for everything to be approved. Just hope you have a good manager in charge of you otherwise it can feel like you are a babysitter.

7. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Marketing

Apr 24, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID
    Business Outlook

Pros

If you get a good manager life can be good.

Cons

Marketing activities was more operations than actual marketing.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Excellent Organization

Jun 12, 2022 - Operations Research Engineer in Hyderābād
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very nice company. Very friendly environment. My manager is also very friendly and approachable. Everybody is very nice and helping in nature.

Cons

Nothing so far. Everything is going well.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

1 Year at Micron Hyderabad

Apr 29, 2022 - Senior Engineer in Hyderābād
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Work culture is very good at Micron - Support from manager and high level management is very interactive - Good company to explore/learn/innovate new things - Global interaction is very nice

Cons

No free meal options for employees

10. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Needs improvements

Jun 12, 2019 - Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work/life balance flexible hours of working Good paid off time

Cons

First of all, it really depends on what team you are in and also what the job role (manager/engineer/technician or operator ) is. I would like to mention two areas that Micron needs to work on: 1) management: My previous manager was super busy that barely had time for me. Even for my most critical needs in my career path he didn't support me. What is more important than the people building your team? isn't people one of Micron core values?? Because that manager I moved to another team, the new manager is caring and supporting. Second: immigration: when I joined Micron they applied for a green card after two years while other bay area tech companies usually apply for green card right after you joined or within the first few months. It seems now the apply soon. But they have outsourced the immigration support to a external company which doesn't seem doing very good. Plus, Micron usually apply for EB3 even though you have an advanced degree (master's/PhD), which makes a difference in a waiting time for green card.

1 person found this review helpful
  11. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Micron is a Good Place

Apr 22, 2016 - Thin Film Process Development Engineer in Boise, ID
    Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of opportunity to move around within the company, Insurance, 401K matching, Lots of Paid Time Off

Cons

Inconsistent promotion standards from group to group and even within group but from manager to manager. Common to move into jobs with more responsibilities but not get any additional compensation and at times get a reduction in compensation

Viewing 1 - 10 of 98 Reviews