Micron Technology "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Micron Technology Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Dec 2, 2019

3.4
Micron Technology CEO  Sanjay Mehrotra
Sanjay Mehrotra
Pros
Cons
  • "not very good work-life balance(in 165 reviews)

• "The future of Micron's presence in Boise seems murky(in 87 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. Featured Review

"I love our company, I think you would too"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Boise, ID

I have been working at Micron Technology full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people. One thing you will find is that the vast majority (there will always be naysayers/pessimists) is that we are all rowing in the same direction. We are working together and making our business better. I know I can go to my peers, team, or other teams for assistance and support and it won't be a challenge or fight. Instead we will work to solve the problem or issue and do so together. The work, we are... not a sexy company in name recognition. However the work we do and the products we provide are critical to the technical innovation that happens every day on every continent. Without Micron's products the world would not be as technologically advanced as it is. We come to work knowing that what we do and accomplish enable the innovation of those working to make the world more accessible, cure previously incurable illnesses, solve problems thought to be impossible. It really is amazing to know we are a critical part of that. Lastly corporate responsibility. Micron is a global leader when it comes to corporate social responsibility. Whether it is from ethical sourcing, recycling, community engagement, charitable giving, human rights and treatment, and any other number of topics I know Micron is committed to being the best corporate citizen it can and it truly encourages us as team members to be the same.

Cons

We are a global company, this means long days, nights, mornings, etc... as we work to collaborate with our peers, suppliers, customers around the world. We have, over the past 2 years, have seen a genuine emphasis on improving our work-life balance (2-3 years ago I would have rated this a 1). However, the realities of being multinational will require flexibility in your work schedule. The great news is we as leaders... are understanding and supportive of modified work schedules. The downside is that this will never be fully mitigated so if you are considering a career here, you should be aware that you may have days that start early, go late, or both to enable the effective collaboration of our global organization so don't be surprised by it. It can be difficult and challenging but it is getting better. I just never expect work-life balance to be our greatest strength.

Advice to Management

Keep up with communicating the strategy and helping shift our culture. The changes since Sanjay took the CEO position are what we desperately needed to take Micron from a scrappy survivor to becoming a dominant and mature player in the semiconductor space.

Micron Technology2019-06-14
  2. "Great opportunity to have insight on big tech/engineering company's financial structures"

Former Intern - Finance Intern

I worked at Micron Technology

Pros

Hands on learning of various systems like SharePoint, Excel and Tableau Very intelligent coworkers Good work life balance

Cons

Layoffs seem to be an issue given the volatile nature of the semiconductor industry

Micron Technology2019-11-02
  3. "Product engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Micron Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

Best place in terms of work life balance

Cons

Not much actually. In the span of my 2 years never experienced any cons

Micron Technology2019-11-28

"pls respect your employee"

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Boise, ID

I have been working at Micron Technology full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good coworkers, work life balance is ok

Cons

very bad culture for the recent 3 yrs

Micron Technology2019-11-28

"Good pay and benefits"

Current Employee - Equipment Engineer in Manassas, VA

I have been working at Micron Technology full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Competitive or better pay. Good benefits. 100% 401k matching on 5%. Stocks and bonuses are good.

Cons

Lots of boom and bust due to nature of semiconductor industry. Periodic layoffs following market trend. Work life balance is pretty bad. Site level management is short sighted and changes priority almost daily.

Micron Technology2019-11-06
  6. "It's ok"

Current Employee - Senior Architect Strategist in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Micron Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

good work life balance, smart coworkers.

Cons

silo-ing of information. top down organziation.

Micron Technology2019-11-22
  7. "Good company"

Former Intern - Design Engineer

I worked at Micron Technology for less than a year

Pros

Good learning environment. Lots to learn. Good work life balance

Cons

Nothing to share so far

Micron Technology2019-11-04

"Good place to work if you live in India"

Former Employee - Solutions Architect in Boise, ID

I worked at Micron Technology full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Working with leading technologies. Lots of different areas you can work in.

Cons

Management style could be better for project managers and managers in general. The work/life balance is abhorrent. Paid well, but you earn it for sure. For the first 20+ years it was a awesome place to work. Then after the new CEO, Sanjay Mehrota was hired, everything changed. It became just another California company. All the things that made it a great place to work were eliminated and they decided to open... two locations in India for the rank and file positions.

Advice to Management

Congrats on driving out all the best people! Thinking you can outsource to India for all your IT roles will not pan out for you. Its been tried multiple times before and with very limited success.

Micron Technology2019-09-11

"Typical big tech company"

Current Employee - Product Engineer in Boise, ID

I have been working at Micron Technology full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits, decent mobility if you want to move internally, pays better than most companies around Boise. You can succeed if you work many hours and play politics well. Some people fit well, some don't, so take it with a grain of salt.

Cons

The usual big tech company fare: pointless meetings, BS politics, evening calls (read: bad work/life balance), lack of willingness to promote people in order to keep the balance sheet looking good, performance reviews that may lead to firing, seducing new college grads to join on cheap while pushing out the older, expensive folks, providing more jobs overseas for cheaper labor instead of domestic. Micron's new... leadership wants the company to follow the Silicon Valley model, which is great if you're in California with lots of tech jobs available. Boise, not so much. Micron is basically Sandisk now with all of the new leadership in place.

Advice to Management

They have shown that they don't care and wouldn't listen anyway. It's just business.

Micron Technology2019-10-02
  10. "Good Experience"

Current Intern - Machine Learning Intern in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Micron Technology for less than a year

Pros

Work life balance Good perks at office

Cons

More work expected Less cultural diversity

Micron Technology2019-10-15