Microsoft Associate Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 29, 2019

Associate Consultant

4.5

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They have a great work/life balance with lots of flexibility" (in 2336 reviews)

• "Smart people (more at HQ than the field)" (in 1814 reviews)

1. "Great Place To Work"

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent Work Life Balance, great benefits, flexible schedules, solid compensation.

Cons

Slow processes can bog movement..

"Great Place to work"

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lot of Perks, good work, good work life balance

Cons

Nothing much, all is good

"Lots of freedom"

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is freedom to learn nearly anything you find interesting. If you love technology, there is a lot of potential for growth. But you have to be self-driven, there won't be metrics for growth outside of billed hours and general community guidelines.

Cons

Not enough information sharing! In services a lot of tasks and mistakes are repeated because of poor information sharing across projects.

Advice to Management

Make IP sharing a better system

"Microsoft takes care of its employees! Love this company"

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Issaquah, WA
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Issaquah, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Collaborative environment, workplace flexibility (depending on your role), and the best benefits you will ever find in a private sector company. It's also been aggressively innovating now that it's lagged behind in the consumer electronics space. Exciting place to be, and definitely the best company I've worked for. I felt like they definitely took care of me as an employee.

Cons

High turnover within the company, at least with younger employees. Many of the people I worked with in the company ended up leaving to pursue other opportunities. Also, work-life balance can sometimes be skewed, and you really need to set boundaries because they will otherwise swallow you whole, if you let them. They weren't so great about letting me work remotely when I had to pick up and move out of the continental US, but I also don't blame them, it was a big change in distance. That said, I do wish they took employees trying to come back more seriously!

Advice to Management

If you want to decrease turn-over, there needs to be more flexibility in locations. Young employees are still trying to figure out where to settle down, and it doesn't help either party if the employee has to quit a great job just to live near home. Also, rely more on young employees to contribute -- many of my peers felt like they were being lectured to and like their ideas were not taken seriously. Luckily I had a great team, but not everyone could say the same.

5. "Microsoft-Hyderabad"

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Microsoft (More than a year)

Pros

Best work environment and work culture.

Cons

none ..... ..... .... ..... ...... .....

"It's been like drinking from the fire hose but good."

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lot's of learning and support. Able to develop skill sets and plenty of room for growth.

Cons

Lot's of organizational change all the time since I've been here. Although it's for the better.

7. "IT Associate Consultant"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Dynamic and fast-paced work environment (never mundane)
    Brilliant and inspirational co-workers
    Incredible benefits and perks
    Competitive salary and bonus plans
    Refreshing and innovative culture which promotes creativity and collaboration
    Strong investment in your growth through trainings and conferences

Cons

Work-Life Balance (but ultimately this is up to you)
    Significant shifts in the company in terms of management due to recent changes

8. "Awesome Company to Start a long term Career"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will get the opportunity to work with smart people solving real world problems. Large organization with lots of internal opportunities, especially moving between departments and organizations. The work is challenging and rewarding.

Cons

Work life balance is always an issue, but you have to take control of your own WLB because the company will take as much as you give it.

9. "Even though they're a large company, they go to great lengths to make it feel small (at least in my part of the company."

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time

Pros

Amazing benefits, great support networks, and an increasing desire to innovate. The 2010's are a great time to join the company, both to make substantial impacts to a new strategy, and bring fresh ideas to the table.

Cons

Because of the strenuous interview process, the culture thrives off type-A personalities. The environment is extremely competitive, and if you're not a task-oriented go-getter, it can be hard to shine, even if innovating is the company's new focus. There are also cases when young employees, in their new high-responsibility roles, might let the power get to their head a little. However, managers do make an effort to counter this self-centered behavior.

Advice to Management

Continue to stress the importance of improving the whole rather than improving the self. Also, informal check-ins can sometimes be more helpful than formal check-ins, as these tend to raise the stakes and make it harder to bring up seemingly small issues.

"First Year at MS"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

So far, consultant life at Microsoft is good. Horizontal mobility is great. Upward communication is easy, and encouraged. There's great pay, benefits, and peers, and the first month as a college hire is pretty much one big welcome party: you stay in a resort to train on Microsoft's culture and consulting basics. They do a really great job of making you feel cared for and welcome! There are LOTS of resources to get you ready.

Cons

Life after the first month has its troubles, though. The peers you meet the first month scatter all over the country to their respective locations, you don't have as clear cut a path, and training feels slightly disorganized. Everyone has his or her own technology focus, but it can take a while to find out what that is, leaving you stranded, and since it's really important you get billable, that can be daunting.