Microsoft Reviews in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

Microsoft Boston Reviews

Boston, MA

4.3

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • One of the best places to work for with great work life balance (in 1947 reviews)

• Working with really smart people who readily share their great insights is a humbling experience where everyone is treated as equals by all employees (in 1682 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes working hard means disrupting one's work/life balance for periods (in 1093 reviews)

• Review system was not the greatest (in 519 reviews)

1. "The perfect company"

Former Employee - SERVICE ADVISOR in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - SERVICE ADVISOR in Boston, MA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture and beliefs of the company make you feel good to work for someone who cares so much about its customers and employees

Cons

None that I can think of, outside of the company not letting employees know where certain hardware divisions are headed ahead of time

Advice to Management

Work your way up, earning a management role will benefit you much more than being handed one

"Good work Environment"

Current Contractor - Data Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Contractor - Data Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Microsoft as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent Engineers around you, And have good amount of time to solve the problems

Cons

Looks contractors as the Aliens

3. "Sr. Account Executive - Sales"

Former Employee - Sales in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales in Boston, MA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great products, great and vast set of resources to help you accomplish goals. Superb benefits - the best I have ever seen.

Cons

Not AGILE at all. This 'big ship' does not turn quickly at all; as a result many clients get very frustrated. Clients did not like contract reviews as MSFT refused to 'Red-Line' adjust any contract language. Too bureaucratic and can be political. Many of the diversity hires I worked with are not qualified at all; especially in MSFT Consulting Services (MCS)

Advice to Management

Satya Nadella is doing a good job but MSFT needs to move faster and satisfy clients issues quicker. Continue to innovate and with the move to the cloud based software (SaaS)

4. "Thoughts after 17+ years"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Microsoft (Less than a year)

Pros

* You get to work on technology that impacts millions of people
    * Good benefits. The ones I like are free MSDN subscription, company store deals (example: $25 Xbox Gold per year), $800 reimbursement per year for sports equipment and activities
    * Lots of opportunity to move around the company and work on different projects
    * Stable company, low risk of Microsoft going anywhere anytime soon

Cons

* Extremely political.
    * You have to be very careful with management and with peers, if you talk too much about what is not going well and how to change it you may be seen as too negative and that you can never overcome even if you are sincere in your intentions of making things better and offer suggestions on how to change
    * Values external candidates rather than internal ones
    * Slow to respond to new technologies or opportunities

Advice to Management

I don't believe the level of management that could enable change will be reading this right now. Perhaps recruiting will so they can learn what impressions external candidates will have when they go through the interview loop. I have been at Microsoft through the Gates and Ballmer years and now since Satya's start. During the Ballmer years Microsoft was always late to respond to disruptive technologies like the internet, virtualization and mobile phones to name a few. I believe Microsoft and its shareholders are much better off with the direction Satya is taking the company. At this point though Microsoft is so big and has its hands in so many different things - Azure, Office 365, gaming, etc that its hard for Microsoft to respond quickly to opportunities. This slowness is fueled by the politics of the organization getting in the way of making any change quickly. One final thought, over the years I've had an average of a new manager every 18 months. Out of all of these I can think of only 3 that were true people managers. They made it their job to guide you, advise you, and help you get to where you are going in your career. Most everyone else I've come across was in the management position for what felt like power. Most people do not leave an organization because of the organization they leave because of management and this is ultimately why I left.

5. "BI Engineer"

Current Contractor - Big Data Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Contractor - Big Data Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Microsoft as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and Interesting work

Cons

Lagging in coordination in the team.

"Good place to work, but needs a lot of change in pace & thinking"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time

Pros

Great work-life balance. competitive salary and benefits. Awesome location & office in Boston, in addition to the small perks, like fitness, parking, etc. Good people and a fun dynamic of old and young employees. Microsoft generally has good, well-defined process around growing people and promoting them, giving them feedback, etc. It is a great place to start a career.

Cons

Lots of layers of management, meetings, status updates, etc. Some people are trying to change the culture, but the gravity is strong. Microsoft is still a big company, and is trying to figure out how to enact new ways of thinking and executing internally. Most people in management have been there for a while, and they do not have incentive to challenge the status quo. In addition to that, being a remote location, means less options and teams to move to.

Advice to Management

Focus. Make your teams smaller. You don't need as much middle management as you have today. Get your people excited by giving them more options to build rather than deliberate and make management happy. Learn how to lead people and not manage them.

7. "Datacenter Engineer"

Current Employee - DATACENTER OPERATION ENGINEER in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - DATACENTER OPERATION ENGINEER in Boston, MA

I have been working at Microsoft (More than a year)

Pros

Get to touch the finest and greatest technologies.

Cons

Work to life balance is not so great.

Advice to Management

Alot of opportunities.

8. "Consumer Product Advisor"

Current Employee - Consumer Product Advisor in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Consumer Product Advisor in Boston, MA

I have been working at Microsoft part-time

Pros

A lot of good energy, always a great environment.

Cons

I really don't have anything bad to say.

9. "Microsoft is back - and a great place to work!"

Former Employee - Technology Architect in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Technology Architect in Boston, MA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Ability to work on leading edge technology that can change the world
    - Strongly values diversity
    - Back in a growth trajectory after faltering

Cons

- Incentive structure encourages political fiefdoms

Advice to Management

Listen to employees. Don't let managers try to cook the survey results. Do exit interviews, not just a web form.

"MS"

Former Employee - Exchange Consultant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Exchange Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Paid Well and very good benifits

Cons

Its more like a cult than an employer. Don't plan on having any input, just do as you're told.

Showing 31 of 18,500 reviews