Microsoft Reviews in Burnaby, BC | Glassdoor

Burnaby, BC (Canada)

3.1

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Certain groups can have poor work-life balance (in 1140 reviews)

• Mid level management, review system (in 523 reviews)

1. "Awesome part time (Product Adviser)"

Former Employee - Product Advisor in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Product Advisor in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I worked at Microsoft part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The management picked a really supportive team and they themselves were really supportive and forgiving when I made early mistakes.

I really thought I was going to get fired in my first month. But instead they gave me a lot of leeway, kept pairing me up with other successful sales people and kept checking up with me after every interaction I made to give me advice on what I could do better. I came to love the job and put a lot of effort into becoming a better sales person. It was really rewarding for me, and I'm sure them as well, to be able to see my sales increasing.

Cons

Dancing was the worst part. It should have been written into the job description when one applies because it became a big part. Everyone was expected to do so at least once each day.

Advice to Management

My management was awesome. I really appreciated how they were accommondating to newbies and their level of forgiveness for mistakes and support really motivated me to learn on my own time how to be the best product advisor I could be. (i.e. learn how to attach the most stuff/MS Complete to all my sales).

2. "Average Retail Experience"

Current Employee - Product Advisor in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Product Advisor in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Microsoft (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture is a pretty inviting one. There are monthly employee events to boost morale. Plus, you get free drinks and snacks which is unheard of at the retail level.

The health and dental benefits package is a pretty good one which also includes a fitness reimbursement for things like a gym membership or gym equipment.

Cons

Fellow coworkers are pretty cool but there is a tendency to hire really young staff who either don't care about the job or don't really know much about technology.

Not much room for growth.

Staff discounts are horrible. Same as the education discount given to students.

Work/Life balance sucks but that's just like any other retail position.

Advice to Management

Listen to the feedback being provided by your employees and follow through on an action plan to Make them feel like they are valued. Oftentimes leadership holds pointless meetings where they come out with false promises that never lead anywhere or to anything productive. Also, there is not much transparency as to what leadership does or the decisions they make.

Showing 2 of 19,515 reviews