Microsoft Business Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Business Manager

4.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Former Business Program Manager"

Former Employee - Business Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Business Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits provided are top notch, including matching for charitable donations. One of the best perks of working at Microsoft is the access to the latest and great technology, and the ability to help shape future products and services.

Cons

As with any large company, layoffs can and do happen, in a very impersonal manner, which is how I left. Middle to upper management in some areas can be detached from the individual contributors, so it is your responsibility to wave your flag, it's a tough environment in some groups.

Advice to Management

Layoffs to meet some arbitrary milestone forecasted a year or two in advance may not be executed in ways that are helpful to the company. Be wary of mass layoffs as a tool, as even those who remain are battle scarred.

2. "Great company!"

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities in any area of work you are interested in.
    Your career is in your own hands.

Cons

Policies and Procedures, not as Agile as smaller companies, some good managers, some bad managers.
    You often feel just like another number in a big company.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing Azure to the towards #1 in the Cloud Battle

3. "I loved working for Microsoft!"

Former Employee - Senior Business Process Outsourcing Manager in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Senior Business Process Outsourcing Manager in Reno, NV

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Work life balance
    Great people/leadership
    Great benefits - awesome maternity leave
    Amazing career opportunities
    Challenging work
    The company really cares about its people

Cons

Honestly, I don't have any. I didn't like the forced performance evaluation cycle but that was changed in 2014 for the best.

Advice to Management

Love all the recent changes!

4. "Great company if you like to stay the course"

Current Employee - Senior Business Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart Colleagues and lots of opportunities across teams

Cons

Can sometime feel like more bureaucracy.

5. "Great opportunity for remote work"

Former Employee - Business Operations Manager in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Business Operations Manager in Boulder, CO

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

All in all, strategy of current leadership is focused on the right areas, and across the board MSFT is a strong organization to work for with a good long-term vision in a highly competitive space.

Cons

Need to continue the focus on diverse hiring and pay equity.

Advice to Management

Create more opportunities for remote work to align with the way we're changing work.

6. "Good Place to Work"

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Challenging problems to solve and smart people to push you to solve them. There is a lot of opportunity for growth.

Cons

Not really a con but always remember it is a business and you must look out for your own career as no one will do it for you at the company.

"Good place to work"

Former Employee - Lead, Senior Business Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Lead, Senior Business Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You will work with some of the brightest in the industry.

Cons

Lots of bureaucracy, politics and competition among the teams.

Advice to Management

Focus on customer.

"Program Manager"

Current Employee - Business Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Its Microsoft. Always a top company. Good pay and benefits. And with so many products and regional operating centers, there is a lot of opportunity to structure a career however you want.

Schedules are pretty flexible, but there is an unspoken rule/expectation to 'be online' to make up any time taken. Work life balance is a Microsoft value. And for the most part there is no problems taking time when you need it. Plus there is a work from home availability.

Cons

There is too much management and it is top down management. It is a constant energy suck to prove your value, why you are necessary to your job. The need to do your day job at night is constant. There are so many meetings and so much political games that morale is low. If you are not a buddy with LT, you get a lot of crap thrown over the fence to you and I constantly fight to maintain my job ownership.

People get promoted for very little (even being gone on parental leave for 6 months of the year!) and folks get promised a promo and don't get one. And I cannot say enough to paint the appropriate picture of the review process here. It is abysmal. It takes hours to write and usually happens after your rewards for the year is already set. And your rewards are not based on what you accomplished. It is people's perspective of the value. I have had a manager tell me I have not delivered anything in a year because my skip level doesn't see anything I deliver and isn't aware of its impact. Yet my job is to keep things running smoothly so they don't receive any escalations. Again, it isn't what you do in your job, it is what you did in addition to your job and how loud you showcase it.

While there are opportunities here, it is extremely time consuming to transition somewhere else. If, stress the IF, you get an informational to discuss the job opening, it is even rarer that you get selected for the interview loop. There is a common saying here, it is easier to leave Microsoft and come back then it is to transfer internally.

While it is also a Pro, the benefits at MS are not what they used to be. Pay is similar now to lots of companies. And a lot of the pay is rolled up in your annual review, which includes a bonus and stock. the bonus is below average and the stock only vests 1/5 a year. So while your stock is part of your 'raise' you don't get any until 6 months to a year later. And if you leave MS, you lose it. So it is really a Con. Healthcare is good but no longer free. Employees have to pay out of pocket now based on HSAs and are taxed on employer paid portions. It is viewed as a cost containment not a benefit anymore. I hear from old colleagues they get better pay and benefits when leaving MS. They felt undervalued here and when they leave they receive large bumps in pay and equivalent levels.

Overall, lots of companies compare with MS now whereas MS used to distinguish themselves with better than anyone benefits.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach, what Satya preaches, what MS supposedly stands for. Appreciate your employees and invest in what they do/who they are.

9. "Super smart people, challenging and interesting work."

Former Employee - Business Program Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Business Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Global impact on technology and customers, remarkable cultural shift underway with Satya and the extended leadership team, aggressive and refined focus on what's next.

Cons

The drive towards new technologies within changing markets and paradigms demands unrelenting focus and bold change, which drives candidates who can function with a high degree of autonomy within a framework of ambiguity.

10. "No Illusions..."

Current Employee - Business Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Company with a lot of opportunity. Great pay, Great benefits, fun fast passed environment. I love learning and this is a place for growth and learning. I have been with the company for 15 years + and love the changes that come with being in this environment.

Cons

It is a Company and like any other company they are going to make business decisions that are not personal. The benefits of those decisions are going to be in the interest of the company.

Advice to Management

Make sure major shifts in staffing that are in the interest of the company and saving money are really being recommended/implemented for the right reasons.