Microsoft Business Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 22, 2018

Business Manager

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Certain groups can have poor work-life balance" (in 1174 reviews)

• "Outdated review system which is anything but fair" (in 526 reviews)

"I'd skip this place"

Former Employee - Senior Business Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, some very smart people, competitive pay. They seem to give some lip service to professional development for their senior managers.

Cons

Don't fool yourself, the stack ranking still exists. Found myself on a leadership team where we put knives in backs, daily. The culture of this place prohibits any semblance of innovation or creativity. Just look at their products. Are you buying them? I'm not. This is a vicious place to work where self-preservation trumps teamwork. On our leadership team, we scrambled to keep up with our competition, and always found ourselves 5 steps behind. In a company that touts leadership, I found the "leaders" I worked with to be followers, merely mouthing the words of someone smarter, who said things months, if not years, before they did. As much as Microsoft embraces strategy, I found very little strategic vision within its walls. Microsoft is no longer a monopolistic utility telling its customers how much they are going to spend on their products. Better companies are finding ways to gain market share by doing guess what? Providing products and services that customers actually want. I think of Microsoft as the GM of the 80s. Still plenty of hubris, not quite smart enough to see that they already lost the race...

Advice to Management

Learn from history. This is a company in a terminal state with little more than cloud computing and the reduction of bloated costs to buoy it along for a few more years. Will the government bail them out when the time comes? I think the software industry moves too quickly to justify salvaging it.

2. "Contractor experience can vary"

Current Contractor - Business Development Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Contractor - Business Development Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Microsoft as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

My contract role at Microsoft is very unique and my experience has been pretty positive. I have a fantastic manager and great counterparts; everyone that I work with is smart, friendly, and hard-working. I work remotely so I hardly ever encounter any bias towards contractors, but I certainly can't speak for what it is like on campus or in other groups. Your experience as a contract employee is largely determined by the contractor you work for and your Microsoft manager. I don't ever interact with my contractor and my MSFT manager is incredible, thus my experience has been great. Regardless, there is so much momentum and buzz around Surface, Surface Hub, iOS apps, Azure, and Win 10 that it's a fantastic time to be working with Microsoft, full time or not.

Cons

The company is so large that it is often disjointed, which is not uncommon for a company this size. What is unique to Microsoft is that it feels more hierarchical than the military at times, and some groups are VERY political. I haven't had to personally deal with this as much since I'm a contractor, but I've witnessed some very telling moments. Lastly, as a contractor working remotely, it can be really difficult to network within the company for other opportunities.

3. "Depends on the department"

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leadership from the top was fantastic with a great focus on the future. Benefits are great, and access to the alumni group after leaving opens many doors. Community outreach is fantastic

Cons

Middle management could not seem to let go of the past... the company is moving towards a platform agnostic setup that focuses on services, yet many managers I talked with still help to the concept that "Windows is king".

Work/Life Balance was not a phrase what was known. I was expected to reply to emails at 1am and 5am... You can forget your vacation because you would have to have your email on you 24/7. This was the reason I left

Advice to Management

Get the middle with the program, or get rid of them.

4. "Challenging and lots of room to grow."

Current Employee - Business Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

With the right manager, the ability to navigate your own growth is spot on. My ability to promote out of administrative work to something more program management oriented was seamless. Work/life balance is encouraged. Benefits are great and the stay fit benefit is an additional perk the helps reward feeling healthy overall.

Cons

Terrible on boarding experience with HR and benefits. Some groups still have a feeling of competition with each other despite the changes review and reward format.

5. "Business Program Manager"

Current Employee - Business Program Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Business Program Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

Great career potential for those who are driven

Cons

Sometimes the work is not the most exciting

"Challenging but rewarding"

Former Employee - Business Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Challenging environment with a great many learning opportunities, competitive benefits, smart colleagues, philanthropic environment

Cons

Demanding environment that encourages competition across groups and directly with colleagues within teams. General lack of transparency from management.

Advice to Management

Continue to work on building a more collaborative, less back-stabbing work environment. Find ways to keep high performers through org-wide layoffs.

7. "Finance"

Former Employee - Business Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Business Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Microsoft (More than a year)

Pros

- Strong post-MBA immersion program

Cons

- Teams were competing with each other, resulting in combative culture
    - Data and systems were not integrated, people spend lots of time on manual tasks which should be automated

Advice to Management

- embrace technology and make the life of your employees much easier

8. "Business Program Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Business Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, challenging work, opportunities to learn

Cons

no work-life balance, red-tapes and politics

"Review"

Current Employee - Business Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Surrounded by unbelievable talent. Working for a product company, you have direct access to the people that actually created the software you use.

Cons

Difficult to maintain work-life balance. Like any large company, sometimes the politics can be frustrating.

Advice to Management

The directions that Services is going in may not result in the behaviors that are desired. Changing the way that UBI is calculated and rewarded have to be carefully thought through. Changing the methodology can have negative consequences.

10. "Great company"

Former Employee - Business Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft (More than 8 years)

Pros

They allow flexible work schedule and values employees. There are many different teams and products you can work on. Lot of opportunities to broaden your horizons.

Cons

All the problems that come with the big size. Politics as well. Duplication of work sometimes. You have to find the right team for yourself. Too many GMs and directors.

Advice to Management

Keep valuing employees like you do. Get rid of mediocre middle and upper management. Move faster and see things from the consumer point of view.