Microsoft Reviews in Cambridge, East of England, England | Glassdoor

Microsoft Cambridge Reviews

Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

4.5

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • One of the best places to work for with great work life balance (in 1947 reviews)

• Working with really smart people who readily share their great insights is a humbling experience where everyone is treated as equals by all employees (in 1682 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes working hard means disrupting one's work/life balance for periods (in 1093 reviews)

• Review system was not the greatest (in 519 reviews)

"10/10 would intern again"

I worked at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

* Great people! Researchers and engineers are all top in their fields;
    * Excellent admin and IT support;
    * Great facilities (and Cambridge was lovely).

Cons

* During the internship I had to use Windows, which I guess it's not that great.
    * As the company is very large, sometimes reaching to other departments can be somewhat hard.

Advice to Management

Focus on raising salaries in UK, so that you can get research students from all over the world and you can increase diversity in non-American branches.
    Otherwise, all good! Please keep focusing on doing open and blue-skies research :)

2. "Research Internship at MSR Cambridge UK"

I worked at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Its one of the best places to work at, mainly because of the quality of interns coming from all over the world, excellent research scientists, as well as a rich academia culture !!

Cons

Sometimes, the overall experience gan get too paper freaky, but it is an enjoyable experience as a researcher. Perhaps they provide lesser compensations in comparison to Google, Apple, DeepMind !!

3. "Great Experience as Research Intern"

Former Employee - Research Intern in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Research Intern in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Microsoft (Less than a year)

Pros

- High degree of freedom
    - Core work given to interns
    - Great company culture
    - Free drinks

Cons

- No free food in the office

4. "microsoft"

Former Intern - Internship in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Former Intern - Internship in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Microsoft as an intern

Pros

Useful information to learn as an intern

Cons

it is not well paid

Advice to Management

to increase interns productivity

5. "Research Intern"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Pros

I was working at the Cambridge Research Lab. Very smart people and great environment for doing research. Salary is competitive.

Cons

12 weeks is bit short quite intense for a research project and the UK visa policy is not flexible for non-Europeans.

6. "Research Intern"

Former Contractor - Research Intern in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Former Contractor - Research Intern in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Microsoft as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to experience cutting edge research and to work with extremely clever and knowledgeable people; opportunity to learn more about other research directions and meet people from other areas.

Cons

Beware if you are a female and/or your supervisor is not so famous - in some teams you might not get a supervisor or a research project

7. "A place to develop your research identity."

Former Employee - Interaction Design Intern in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Microsoft (Less than a year)

Pros

Diverse and interesting employees, collaborative environment, novel research projects, freedom to pursue research goals.

Cons

Long hours, insufficient access to healthy food, older office cubicle environment, several layers of bureaucracy, confusing travel and research expense reimbursement,.

Advice to Management

Closer management of project and a more in-depth understanding of employees' work would yield results faster.

8. "Fantastic research environment"

I worked at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The people at Microsoft Research are fantastic, world-class researchers. My experience in the Cambridge research lab completely changed my graduate studies. I learned about a new field. I learned how to do engineering for that field. I made what I hope are lifelong friendships and collaborations. It was truly a fantastic experience.

Cons

The intern seating is ridiculously lacking. I cannot believe there are not more intern desks. Interns should be seated near peers who are working on similar problems and should be seated near their mentors.

Advice to Management

Keep the research pure. Microsoft is one of the only companies remaining that is still invested in pure science that does not have to be applied to a product immediately. Don't let this die.

9. "Great place for research"

I worked at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The company culture was fun, coffee was great and you could talk and collaborate with numerous world-class researchers in machine learning, algorithms, networks, and so on. My boss was extremely knowledgeable and always open to new ideas. The pay was more than enough for me.

Cons

Cambridge is a rather small city and housing is expensive. Also, the jobs in research can potentially have less security as they are the first ones to go if the company is in trouble.

"Fun place to work; takes good care of its engineers."

Current Employee - Researcher in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Researcher in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You're taken care of. Good technology to work with. Smart people to work with.

Cons

Between divisions it can be a struggle to get things done. Researchers look down on engineers rather than work with them.

Advice to Management

Researchers need to understand engineering is not "easier" or so. Leadership should build a research org next to (not on top of) the engineering groups.

Showing 11 of 18,492 reviews