Microsoft Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Updated November 1, 2017

Chicago, IL

4.1

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • One of the best places to work for with great work life balance (in 1947 reviews)

• Working with really smart people who readily share their great insights is a humbling experience where everyone is treated as equals by all employees (in 1682 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes working hard means disrupting one's work/life balance for periods (in 1093 reviews)

• Review system was not the greatest (in 519 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Technical Solutions Professional in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Technical Solutions Professional in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, smartest minds in the world.

Cons

Change is constant and I’ve had 10 managers in 9 years.

"Im RIFed, but still a great company"

Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You get to work with really smart people
    Benefits are very good. As some noted they used to be outstanding but like all companies they've had to cut HC costs. Still they continue to work on improving benefits where they can, like increasing company matching on 401k contributions and accelerating stock vesting...both relatively recent improvements
    relatively flexible work options, home, office, customer site, mobile. Note: I was in a field office not Redmond, but I believe it's still flexible at campus

Cons

While I believe in Satya's vision for the company, the new reality of Microsoft at least for the next few years will be a constant risk of RIFs. You have to be really adept at knowing which group to be in. It's like a giant game of whack a mole, you can get hit at any time for no reason regardless of how good your performance is.
    I personally know someone who won Platinum Club (highest sales honor) and less than 2 months later was RIFed. There is ZERO consideration of the individual or talent when it comes to a RIF. While they do allow you to interview back in, it's sort of an empty welcome as you are booted out of the company and treated like a new hire, at least from an access and interview perspective. Also you are only given 2 months...not nearly enough time given the glacial speed with which MSFT recruiting teams move. I've been on both sides of this now. I've interviewed and hired in dozens of great people at MSFT but the process is painful in my opinion.

Advice to Management

I get that Microsoft needs to restructure, but you are doing an awful job at it right now. All your top performers if they aren't looking for new jobs are definitely looking over their shoulder or are left in an awful position as their vteams are getting RIFed and nobody is explaining why, or how they are going to get the resources to support their goals. MSFT is a very collaborative place and when you suddenly lose 1/4 of your vteam that leaves the remaining employees with the same lofty goals and 1/4 less people to get it done. Even the managers are beside themselves and can't explain what's going on or how they are going to support the teams with the resources they have.
    While I agree with the big picture of the restructuring, leadership has to know and understand that they are releasing some of their most talented people into the market for their competition to scoop up. It feels very much like a person who has no knowledge of Microsoft business or a group of lawyers trying to keep MSFT out of harms way is making the RIF decisions. There is a massive amount of tribal knowledge going out the door. Some of the RIFs eliminated whole teams of people who were the only ones with a key skillset (a skill noted by our CEO on stage as important). My manager was beside himself when I was RIFed, he's like you are the only one on our team who knew how to do this. I'm like sorry man, and by the way, everyone else I knew in MSFT who was good at what I do was RIFed as well, so you are going to be left with the blind leading the blind. good luck. This may sound like a vindictive rant, but I've spoken off the record with extremely senior Partner level Engineering execs in Microsoft who don't understand some of the RIF decisions and are challenging some of the decisions made. For me, too late but hopefully they can stop the bleeding.
    Also on my CEO performance, my rating is based on what he's done for the stock, which is largely due to headcount reductions IMO.

3. "Great company overall. Retail stores need some work."

Current Employee - Retail Partner Store Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Retail Partner Store Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive salary and great benefits
    Giving back to the community is in our blood
    Also opportunities available if you are willing to relocate

Cons

Can be a "political" company
    Difficult to find local jobs if you arent in Redmond.
    Hard work can go unnoticed from time to time

4. "MCS consultant"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Benefits and health plan but got worse the longer I was there

Cons

Every year Microsoft was taking away little by little bonuses and stock then the benefits went way up.

Advice to Management

Stop pitting employees against each other

"Chaos after reorg"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, smart people, market momentum, CEO that appears to want to drive change but doesn't understand the field culture.

Cons

Politics rule the day. "One microsoft" does not exist. Constant infighting, leadership that is out of touch with the field and more focus on their image as they plan for their next role.

Advice to Management

Satya needs to invest time with field sales to understand why we are turning into an Oracle culture.

6. "Love the company and benefits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love the company and benefits

Cons

Wish more internal roles could be had from outside Redmond area

7. "Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture, Flexibility, Benefits, Pay, Work/Life Balance

Cons

Process, Tools, Communication, Inefficiencies, Direction

"Software Technology Leader"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great work opportunities to engage with enterprise corporate customers to showcase software products and the custom solution integration capabilities. Excellent business and technical skills training.

Cons

Focus on performance development is up the ladder or out. Cannot maintain focus on a specific position for an extended time.

Advice to Management

Better performance management planning and execution on development plans

9. "All around great company to work for."

Current Employee - Consumer Service Advisor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consumer Service Advisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working full time at the Microsoft retail store is a great opportunity to have. The managers are very flexible. The benefits are the best. The opportunity for growth is amazing.

Cons

There are a couple bad apples but as long as you do your job, you shouldn't be affected.

Advice to Management

Keep doing great!

10. "I feel so incredibly lucky to work at this company and in this role."

Current Employee - Community Evangelist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Community Evangelist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone truly does want to help you succeed. The management team in Developer Experience is a powerhouse and the opportunity to learn and grow in role here is invaluable.

Cons

Work life balance can be difficult. In an event-centric space, travel and time is demanding. The normal 9-5 workday does not really exist in this space. It's worth it.

Showing 54 of 18,529 reviews