Microsoft Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Chicago, IL Area

4.1

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Certain groups can have poor work-life balance" (in 1168 reviews)

• "Outdated review system which is anything but fair" (in 526 reviews)

1. "Technical Solution Professional is the best job at Microsoft"

Current Employee - Azure TSP in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Azure TSP in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent flexibility, direct contact with the Product Groups. You get to work with customers and share success. Tons of opportunity for learning. I love this job because I get to stay technical but also work with our innovative customers.

Also, benefits are really good. 401K match is terrific. Time off. Work / life balance. Salary and benefits are really great for the TSP as well (you get both RBI and CBI, which is outstanding). Stock awards too. You have lots of opportunity to be very well compensated if you deliver results.

Cons

You are expected to deliver results. This is not a con, really, but you cannot ride your past successes. Deliver results and get rewarded.

Advice to Management

Higher stock awards would be nice.

2. "Great Company To Work For"

Current Employee - SERVICE ADVISOR in Oak Brook, IL
    Current Employee - SERVICE ADVISOR in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They listen and truly care about their employees. They provide us opportunities for improvement in the company.

Cons

There isn't much negative things to say! Microsoft provides great benefits and allows for a great work/life balance. The only thing I wish is Microsoft market their Surface brands better. You don't see as much Surface commercials as you do Apple, Google, or Amazon.

3. "Great Company to Work For!"

Former Employee - Product Advisor in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Product Advisor in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing benefits. A company that values volunteering and giving back.

Cons

It's hard if you don't have the customer service/sales background.

"Look beneath the covers first"

Former Employee - Servces Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Servces Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great benefits for individual and family

Cons

poor middle management, toxic culture and poor execution on strategy across products and services

Advice to Management

get rid of the old culture and truly transform the organization within

5. "Retail store employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Microsoft provides some amazing benefits.

Cons

Working in retail with an inexperienced management team who micro-manages makes it difficult to excel and exceed expectations. Also, even though Microsoft claims to emphasize a work/life balance, it's difficult to do so with the demands of the retail industry. And opportunities into the Corporate part of Microsoft are almost impossible coming from Retail.

6. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Technical Solutions Professional in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Technical Solutions Professional in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, smartest minds in the world.

Cons

Change is constant and I’ve had 10 managers in 9 years.

"Im RIFed, but still a great company"

Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You get to work with really smart people
    Benefits are very good. As some noted they used to be outstanding but like all companies they've had to cut HC costs. Still they continue to work on improving benefits where they can, like increasing company matching on 401k contributions and accelerating stock vesting...both relatively recent improvements
    relatively flexible work options, home, office, customer site, mobile. Note: I was in a field office not Redmond, but I believe it's still flexible at campus

Cons

While I believe in Satya's vision for the company, the new reality of Microsoft at least for the next few years will be a constant risk of RIFs. You have to be really adept at knowing which group to be in. It's like a giant game of whack a mole, you can get hit at any time for no reason regardless of how good your performance is.
    I personally know someone who won Platinum Club (highest sales honor) and less than 2 months later was RIFed. There is ZERO consideration of the individual or talent when it comes to a RIF. While they do allow you to interview back in, it's sort of an empty welcome as you are booted out of the company and treated like a new hire, at least from an access and interview perspective. Also you are only given 2 months...not nearly enough time given the glacial speed with which MSFT recruiting teams move. I've been on both sides of this now. I've interviewed and hired in dozens of great people at MSFT but the process is painful in my opinion.

Advice to Management

I get that Microsoft needs to restructure, but you are doing an awful job at it right now. All your top performers if they aren't looking for new jobs are definitely looking over their shoulder or are left in an awful position as their vteams are getting RIFed and nobody is explaining why, or how they are going to get the resources to support their goals. MSFT is a very collaborative place and when you suddenly lose 1/4 of your vteam that leaves the remaining employees with the same lofty goals and 1/4 less people to get it done. Even the managers are beside themselves and can't explain what's going on or how they are going to support the teams with the resources they have.
    While I agree with the big picture of the restructuring, leadership has to know and understand that they are releasing some of their most talented people into the market for their competition to scoop up. It feels very much like a person who has no knowledge of Microsoft business or a group of lawyers trying to keep MSFT out of harms way is making the RIF decisions. There is a massive amount of tribal knowledge going out the door. Some of the RIFs eliminated whole teams of people who were the only ones with a key skillset (a skill noted by our CEO on stage as important). My manager was beside himself when I was RIFed, he's like you are the only one on our team who knew how to do this. I'm like sorry man, and by the way, everyone else I knew in MSFT who was good at what I do was RIFed as well, so you are going to be left with the blind leading the blind. good luck. This may sound like a vindictive rant, but I've spoken off the record with extremely senior Partner level Engineering execs in Microsoft who don't understand some of the RIF decisions and are challenging some of the decisions made. For me, too late but hopefully they can stop the bleeding.
    Also on my CEO performance, my rating is based on what he's done for the stock, which is largely due to headcount reductions IMO.

8. "Great company overall. Retail stores need some work."

Current Employee - Retail Partner Store Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Retail Partner Store Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive salary and great benefits
    Giving back to the community is in our blood
    Also opportunities available if you are willing to relocate

Cons

Can be a "political" company
    Difficult to find local jobs if you arent in Redmond.
    Hard work can go unnoticed from time to time

9. "MCS consultant"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Benefits and health plan but got worse the longer I was there

Cons

Every year Microsoft was taking away little by little bonuses and stock then the benefits went way up.

Advice to Management

Stop pitting employees against each other

"Little room to move or get promoted to advance position"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Chicago, IL

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

From lower level positions it is easy to get promoted.

Cons

But once you get to a certain level it is almost impossible to be promoted. It is almost impossible to get a position outside of your team unless your willing to move.

Advice to Management

Provide move room to be promoted at the higher levels. Allow people to move out of current the careers to other teams to build skills that can benefit the company and earn a person a promotion.

Showing 68 of 20,639 reviews