Microsoft Reviews in Cincinnati, OH | Glassdoor

Microsoft Cincinnati Reviews

Cincinnati, OH

4.1

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • One of the best places to work for with great work life balance (in 1947 reviews)

• Working with really smart people who readily share their great insights is a humbling experience where everyone is treated as equals by all employees (in 1682 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes working hard means disrupting one's work/life balance for periods (in 1093 reviews)

• Review system was not the greatest (in 519 reviews)

1. "Microsoft product advisor"

Former Employee - Product Advisor in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Product Advisor in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Microsoft part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with customers directly to give them their perfect software and hardware combination, and teaching them how to use it.

Cons

I wasn't able to reach my full potential. I am capable of so much, I felt I was hindered by the lack of opportunity to grow with the company.

Advice to Management

Challenge and reward employees for exceeding expectations and making a difference in the company. Treat each person as an asset to encourage personal growth.

2. "Great Culture!"

Current Employee - Technical Training Specialist in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Technical Training Specialist in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Microsoft (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company culture! Exciting new direction under the new leadership. There is opportunity if you make the right connections...

Cons

Difficult to transition to other opportunities within the company without having established relationships

3. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Technical Service Advisor in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Technical Service Advisor in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are top notch
    One of the leaders in technology

Cons

Work Life balance is sometimes non existent
    Promotions are more based on who you know, rather than what you bring to the table.

Advice to Management

Be fair on who you promote. I have found that there is a lot of high school type of clique relationships that cause tons of great talent getting passed over based on relationships or lack thereof.

"Great culture, New CEO making a difference"

Current Employee - Technical Sales Specialist in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Technical Sales Specialist in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's a great company culture at Microsoft of family first, innovation, independence and hard work. Everyone really loves the company and the first-level managers are great. The company is very focused on career growth and making sure you are always looking forward. They are very flexible about work hours, locations, etc. as long as you get the job done. The people are amazing!

The new CEO, Satya is really rallying the company and is doing great things. Old establishment is changing (albeit slowly)

Cons

The Sr. Leadership could really use some help. From 2nd line managers to just below the CEO, the leadership is very "inward focused" and almost used-car-salesy. It's very cut-throat at that level and you they appear to have no problem stepping on toes to move up. Also, sr. leadership looks "down" quite a bit on those with IC (individual contributor) roles.

No real career opportunities for technical leadership other than in Seattle. All field leadership is sales based and you almost have to go through the sales ranks to get leadership opportunities. Technical roles report into sales managers, so technical people are often undervalued or have little direction.

Advice to Management

Field technical specialists, ATS', etc. really need to have a technical leader, not a sales-only leader who has no understanding or value of technical leadership.

5. "One of the greatest paying retail jobs"

Current Employee - Technical Advisor in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Technical Advisor in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work life balance, benefits, leadership and culture.

Cons

My only real issue is what I stated in my advice to management, where there seems to sometimes former Best Buy employees tend to be favored. And the lack of opportunities to climb the ladder unless you relocate.

Advice to Management

There seems to be sort "cliques" that can function in some of the retail stores of former employees of Best Buy that are hired. Sometimes there can be clear favoritism from management towards these individuals, making it hard to stand out ahead of them when it comes to possible position openings. This shouldn't have a bearing on picking the better man or woman for the job.

6. "Challenging, Lucrative, Risky"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great products, smart people, world-wide reputation

Cons

Long-term bias against the company by customers and competitors, Stack-Rank culture

Advice to Management

If you really want to keep sales people in long-term strategic relationships with enterprise customers, allow them to miss quota.

Showing 6 of 18,535 reviews