Microsoft Reviews in Durham, NC | Glassdoor

Durham, NC

4.1

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Certain groups can have poor work-life balance" (in 1180 reviews)

• "Outdated review system which is anything but fair" (in 526 reviews)

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Product Advisor in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Product Advisor in Durham, NC

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, good work environment, amazing leadership, great benefits, and a growth mentality is enforced. They are really focused on taking care of the customers, they go out of their way for customer satisfaction. Everyone in leadership here is honest, caring, and a joy to be around. I've been here for 4 months and I've grown in many areas. One thing I love about leadership is they care about you as a person and not just an employee. So often times they will ask questions to make sure you're at your best so you can excel. I watched my trainer get promoted in the short time I've been here and they encourage people to move up in the company. My hiring manager actually pulled me to the side and showed me some positions to apply for. They are amazing here.

Cons

There is nothing bad about working at Microsoft. it's retail so you have to hustle to make sales but it is easily the best retail work environment I've ever experienced.

Advice to Management

Continue to be considerate,loving and motivating.

2. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Gaming Expert in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Gaming Expert in Durham, NC

Pros

Benefits are fantastic, company really cares about I put, awesome work experience. Semi- competitive pay. Definitely an awesome retail job

Cons

Not really too many! Just normal workplace stuff and drama that you'd experience in any retail store. Corporate initiatives can be confusing

3. "Microsoft Store - good place to work"

Former Employee - Inventory Control Expert in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Inventory Control Expert in Durham, NC

I worked at Microsoft part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing working with my schedule for my full time job.
    One team, one dream
    Paid Training
    Learning Modules to keep you update to date
    Community outreach programs

Cons

Seems to be lacking a little behind in the retail industry, even though they have many stores.
    They are not a health conscious store - sodas and snacks (are too plentiful). I know they appeal to a certain crowd, but still.
    You're never alone - cameras everywhere, but to be honest, you won't have anything to worry about unless you're doing something wrong.
    There are few opportunities for "moving up" - you really need to fight your teammates

Advice to Management

Let team members train for a little in other departments. ICE should shadow Techs , and Front of House advisors should see a day in the life of ICE and Techs.

4. "Probably the best job ever!"

Former Employee - Product Advisor in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Product Advisor in Durham, NC

I worked at Microsoft part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun
    Makes you happy to wake up in the morning
    Grest pay
    Great benefits
    So many ways to grow in the company
    So many ways to grow outside the company

Cons

Microsoft can be a bit picky. Often the wrong moves are made.

Management might look down on employees or external people for some reason.

Advice to Management

Dont look down on people just because you work for Microsoft.

"Good company with opportunities but crippling culture and cut throat performance system"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

At this branch office: pay is great relative to peer companies in the area; employees are very intelligent; and site is driven by strong engineering-focused management team.

Overall, great place to launch a career, but move out quickly or you will find your industry relevant skills diminish.

Cons

At this branch office: very limited opportunities, highly cut throat competition, and insanely poor work\life balance. Jobs are limited to only 1 team at this office.

6. "Good place to work, remote offices with limited opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Pros

Microsoft is a huge company with strong benefits and, in theory, involved in every area of the software market. The company still has very competitive pay and reasonable job security, even considering the layoffs. It has endless resources for growth (see cons), including a big library, conferences, training etc. The company can really invest in you and you can see the dividends of this investment in your work.

Cons

One has to be aware that most Microsoft benefits related to professional growth will apply mostly to its HQ in Redmond, WA. In Washington State, the opportunities at the company are endless. Elsewhere, it can vary from dismal to maybe mediocre. Senior Management is clueless and the stock price proves it. Most Microsoft innovations are incremental and the company missed endless opportunities to revolutionize areas of our industry.

Advice to Management

The CEO should just retire. The rest of senior management should strive for a flatter organization with less layers and red tape. We need less middle managers and more people doing actual work.

7. "A good place to work"

Current Employee - Architect in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Architect in Durham, NC

Pros

The people you get to work with make it one of the best companies in the world

Cons

Large companies can be challenging or even frustrating places at times. It takes a while to get the ship to change course and this requires patience on the part of employees.

Advice to Management

Know your customer. There has been a lot of criticism in the past of MSFT missing it when it comes to delivering products that people really want. The uptake of Vista is one example among many.

Showing 7 of 21,005 reviews