Microsoft Executive Producer Reviews | Glassdoor

Microsoft Executive Producer Reviews

Updated Mar 24, 2014

5.0
  1. "Challenging and rewarding work"

Current Employee - Executive Producer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Scope of responsibilities is higher than many other places. Benefits are excellent and the work life balance is a real priority.

Cons

Your boss matters to the quality of your experience. if you don't like your boss when you interview then you should not take the job because he/she wont get better.

Advice to Management

Upper management here is more concerned with keeping their jobs then doing their jobs. This creates a risk averse culture at the senior level that rewards critics over creators when it comes time for promotion. This doesn't make them bad, just a bit feckless.

Microsoft2014-03-24
  2. "Microsoft after the Golden Age"

Former Employee - Executive Producer in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Microsoft had the best healthcare benefits while I was there from 1999 through 2010. I have a family of three young kids and a wife with a serious medical condition. While at Microsoft, I never had to pay a penny out of pocket for any prescription, doctor visit, hospital stay or medical procedure.

Cons

Everything was very decentralized, with each group and/or team "doing it's own thing." No one really knew what anyone else was doing.This may have worked when the company was smaller to promote competition of ideas, but when it matured this lead to people building fiefdoms and causing confusion with the customers. Also when there was corporate control, it was one size fits all approach. What worked for software... development doesn't always work for the marketing or sales side of things. Also the culture of Type A personalities, the loudest in the room is always right mentality, is a very destructive way to manage processes and teams and this culture ran deep while I was there.

Advice to Management

Leave the old school technical culture behind and try moving toward a more human based approach to your products, marketing and management style. Also it's hard to be really innovative when you are so large. Figure out how to be the "kids in the garage" again.

Microsoft2014-02-11