Microsoft Human Resources Reviews | Glassdoor

Human Resources

4.3

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Certain groups can have poor work-life balance" (in 1185 reviews)

• "Outdated review system which is anything but fair" (in 529 reviews)

1. "Project Lead, LATAM Microsoft"

Current Employee - Human Resources Analyst
    Current Employee - Human Resources Analyst

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Career Development & Great opportunities to grow.

Cons

Work Life Balance, Compensation. Most opportunities are based in Redmond, WA>

2. "Had a good run but I grew apart and my connection with the company grew weak"

Former Employee - Human Resources Director in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Director in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great compensation, you work with super smart people, good health insurance. If in the right team amazing opportunities for having impact

Cons

The HR function is fatigued with so much change and layoffs. Plus there is less space to focus on proactive ways to add value to the people you support as the change management and lay offs are constant

Advice to Management

The company is taking a great direction to continue with strength in the market. However the amount of change and layoffs has taken a big toll. There is a need for some baseline to be the foundation so people can really focus on their best work vs. waiting to be laid off

3. "HR Manager"

Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft (More than 3 years)

Pros

Solid HR Function and Leadership
    Great Talent across the board
    Nice culture set by CEO

Cons

Too many layers and Matrix organizations
    Agility can be slow

Advice to Management

Keep Satya as CEO and enable him and his leaders to continue the cultural transformation

4. "Senior HR Manager"

Current Employee - Sr. Human Resources Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Sr. Human Resources Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Inspiring global reach - where else can you impact BILLIONS with a mission to "empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more". Satya Nadella's "Hit Refresh" culture is spot on. We are not the old Microsoft ... but not yet all we want to be. Benefits are INCREDIBLE. Pay is targeted in the top 2/3rds. Endless opportunities to grow and be challenged.

Cons

Our size, business complexity, and momentum is a blessing and a curse. Our challenge is to be agile (innovators dilemma), keep the customer at the heart of everything we do (despite layers of overhead), and embrace a "growth mindset" culture (when billions are seemingly at stake).

Advice to Management

Our mission, values, and strategy seems on target ... now live them out with full integrity.

5. "Great company to work for and develop a career."

Current Employee - Senior Human Resources Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Human Resources Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Amazing benefits. You get to work with incredibly intelligent colleagues and have diverse set of career opportunities. Incredibly strong company leadership.

Cons

Can have an intense work environment lacking in balance during certain times of the year. Continued opportunity to breakdown silos across organizations but great traction as of late.

Advice to Management

Continue to evolve to meet the company culture and mission Satya put in motion the last few years. Build community amongst your teams and extended partners. We all want to be part of something bigger and be in it together.

"Great culture and place to be...sometimes a tad crazy though"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to learn and grow and grow at scale
    Open to new things now and not so closed off as in the past
    Truly collaborative within your team and getting better outside of your immediate teams...
    Embrace the concepts of being able to leverage each other all the time (and now expect this across the Company) + contributing to other's success (not just a tagline but truly happens).
    Correct CEO- excellent leader and just what we needed to become relevant again

Cons

Work Life Balance can sometimes be a challenge (not too crazy like Amazon) but you have to really manage your own boundaries otherwise it will consume you
    Can be a bit difficult to navigate and know who is who in order to get stuff done- highly matrixed
    Political in some groups meaning who likes who, who has a good rep and using that to their advantage otherwise if you don't play that game you are left in the dust
    Pay is fine but not as strong as it should be
    For our org specifically, we do not really reward people for the work they really produce or make impact on (there are still some pockets of the old ways in HR).

Advice to Management

Change some of the HR leaders in HR so that we can truly be world class and not be left behind.
    Hold managers accountable, truly, for being good managers and vice versa- we say this and try to do this but as a Company, there is NOT a forcing mechanism for people managers to be truly good managers and conversely to shore up bad managers (there are still bad managers rampant in our system and very entrenched.)
    Satya- you are doing a ROCK STAR job, just push your LT to live the values that you show us works... there are still some who struggle and that can bring down the entire org.

"Director"

Former Employee - Human Resources Director, Microsoft Corporation in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people and (mostly) great products
    Terrific career opportunities - at HQ in Redmond and in field roles
    Very competitive pay and benefits
    An ability to re-invent itself. It can feel like trying to turn an aircraft carrier, but the company has proven it's capable of changing course

Cons

They confuse "collaboration" with "constipation." Decisions can take too long, with too many "stakeholders" to try and satisfy.
    It's become very political
    They think very locally (Redmond), but try to operate globally.

Advice to Management

Satya has been a breath of fresh air and is on the right path to change the strategy and culture. Keep it up, but shake it up. Might be time to make some tough people decisions at the Sr. Leadership level.

8. "Satya is changing MSFT in amazing ways!"

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Redmond, WA

Pros

New leadership is driving a very inclusive culture, whereby, everyone can make a significant impact!

Cons

The company is very Redmond focused

9. "HR Director"

Former Employee - Regional Human Resources Director in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Regional Human Resources Director in Miami, FL

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

innovation in all aspects.
    Customer and employee orientation
    WorkLife Balance
    Good compben overall

Cons

Work load and speed

Advice to Management

Focus

10. "Great Intern Experience"

Former Intern - Human Resources Trax Intern in Redmond, WA
    Former Intern - Human Resources Trax Intern in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Microsoft is filled with intelligent employees. Satya Nadella seems to have instilled a new vibrancy and openness to the culture, which should pay dividends for years to come. Benefitsare generous, the campus is beautiful, and the compensation was very fair. In HR, management seemed very competent and interested in their subordinates' success.

Cons

The company is very large, so it's easy to get lost in the shuffle. The culture under Steve Ballmer did not seem particularly open or transparent and many of the old-guard managers remain. The company also seems to reorganize every two to three years, which I doubt is conducive to productivity or innovation.

Advice to Management

If you want to compete in today's competitive landscape, the consumer has to come first. All too often, engineers, sales people, and narrowly focused managers prioritize short-term results over long-term success by overlooking the customer and just attempting to shove products down consumers' throats.