Microsoft Reviews in Kansas City, MO | Glassdoor

Microsoft Kansas City Reviews

Kansas City, MO Area

2.3

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • One of the best places to work for with great work life balance (in 1947 reviews)

• Working with really smart people who readily share their great insights is a humbling experience where everyone is treated as equals by all employees (in 1682 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes working hard means disrupting one's work/life balance for periods (in 1093 reviews)

• Review system was not the greatest (in 519 reviews)

"Good benefits and fun environment"

Former Employee - Product Advisor in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Microsoft part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits here are great for both full and part time employees. Fun place to work even on the busiest days. Even the store meetings are fun. And for the first 3 years I was there, it didn't feel like I was just working retail - it felt like I was part of something bigger and a lot better.

Cons

We had a change in management at my location and the turnover rate spiked. For a long time, the most common reason employees left was a promotion within the company. But I saw more people leave last summer than I'd seen in the 3 years we'd been open. I can't speak for everyone, but for me, it was depressing to check my work email after a few days off to find out another co-worker was "no longer with the team".

By the time I left, it no longer felt like I was part of something bigger; it was just another retail store with a revolving door of employees. It's hard to feel like you're part of a team when your "teammates" change several times a month.

There were other changes I disliked, but it's difficult to explain those without getting too specific and losing any anonymity Glassdoor may give me.

If I had left a year earlier, this review would be 4 stars and my only complaint would have been the lack of communication among managers. But seeing things change the way the did has left me disappointed.

Advice to Management

I know the reasons for termination vary from employee to employee, but I think it's worth stepping back and figuring out why to turnover rate had risen the way out has. Because it's not just a matter of people moving on after a while; new people are being let go after less than a year.

"Bad managers, good company"

Former Employee - Product Advisor in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Microsoft part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benifits, free phone, tablet, there was nothing good about this place outside of the free stuff.

Cons

Managers are just rediculous.
    And staff is two faced. They tell you to go to them if you need help, when they secretly report to managers about anything and everything you do. Do not trust anyone here.

Asinine writeups for things they do countless times, such as a manager daily would drop the F bomb multiple times a day and say other bad words as well, when we get written up for an accidental slip up swear.

Manager asked me if she wasn't putting out after I had a conversation with my female friend. If I said this about their husband or wife, I'd be fired instantly.

Manager would constantly harass me for asking questions when first starting employment, then get angry that I asked questions, just wanted to make sure I did my job correct. (I have aspergers)

When I confronted the manager who harassed me I was told I'm not thinking growth mindset and It's my job.... it's my job to be harassed because I asked questions? Terrible.

I have two jobs. Working 6 am and Microsoft all the way till 10 pm. They would hold me later at night because they wouldn't have their stuff together and would make people go on overtime when they aren't even suppose to. Very unorganized. So I get 5 hours of sleep because they fail at their jobs?

Manager also would complain I wasn't following the steps of service... which I did by the book, got a 10/10 review as well as a full attachment item. And they still complain, never would they try and give positive feedback.

When I asked about the feedback problem why they are always negative, they say I can't take constructive criticism. It's always negative, even if you do things right.

Over 70% of the employees there hate it, and are only there because of the company benifits. Most are looking for a new job.

Manager would make non racial problems into racial problems because of insecurities.

I was discriminated agaisnt, and even told them of my aspergers before applying to the job.

One thing that really blows my mind.. they tell you to enforce a no chair policy when sitting near xbox section. When I enforced this policy, the customer was unhappy about it and I was written up for "talking bad against the customer" When I never said any word to him. All I did was ask a manager if they needed to be moved to confirm what they told me before.

This place is a joke, the turnover and employees is a joke, they leave and get fired because this place is run by jokes. Retail management wad the worst here than any other place I worked for.

Advice to Management

Don't be hypocritical, and follow by example. When you all cuss, and act innapropriate in front of your employees, they get the wrong idea of how you should act in a work place.
    Grow up.

3. "Things have gotten better...Microsoft is becoming cool again"

Current Employee - Enterprise Architect in Fairway, KS
    Current Employee - Enterprise Architect in Fairway, KS

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fairly stable, better direction of the company with Satya with a large emphasis on cloud IaaS, PaaS and SaaS with an easy entry into cloud with extra support

Cons

Can be very political, people get ahead more from knowing the right people, do not sell enterprise services correctly, we still push products versus solutions, we are forcing good people out and replacing them with inexperienced college and MBA grads instead of tenured people

Advice to Management

Try to see what people are doing versus just looking at managers, keep experience, support learnings

4. "Product Advisor - Retail Store"

Current Employee - Product Advisor in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Product Advisor in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, good pay, fun environment,

Cons

no enough opportunities for advancement, Store Management need to communicate better,

"Maybe some profit sharing?"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Kansas City, MO

Pros

Yeah i think this company is pretty cool. But I also think hot dogs are cool too. However, Microsoft is a huge company and its cool to tell girls at bars that you work there. They think that you are made of millions!

Cons

I worked with a bunch of nerds and there were no attractive people in sight. They should also have some sort of incentivized pay structure, like base plus commission upon review of quality of work done. I also think that CEO's salaries should be based on performance as well. Give us some sort of profit sharing man!

Advice to Management

I think that profit sharing should be an option

Showing 5 of 18,536 reviews