Microsoft Manager Finance Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
  1. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Finance Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Was a great company to work for and had awesome and experienced peers.

Cons

I think it really depends what team you're on.

Advice to Management

Focus on getting more lean.

Microsoft2019-10-04
  2. "Great company"

I have been working at Microsoft full-time

Pros

Benefits, location, accessibility, image, CEO

Cons

Bad Middle Management, unethical stds

Microsoft2019-08-30
  3. "Great company"

Former Employee - Finance Manager

I worked at Microsoft full-time for more than a year

Pros

Smart people. Challenging work. Great environment.

Cons

Long hours. Some micro-managing occurs

Microsoft2019-07-18
  4. "Learnings galore"

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent opportunity with a growth mindset.

Cons

Lots of cliques. Very political

Microsoft2019-07-06
  5. "Interesting work, poor work life balance"

Current Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good pay vs other companies, respect for diversity on my team and area, nice colleagues, not a hard-charging atmosphere. Seem to promote the right people. Flexible approach to work schedules

Cons

Work life balance is extremely challenging. There is always more work to do, always fire drills. The only time I can get my work done is outside of working hours (before 9 am, after 5 pm, weekends).

Microsoft2019-07-03

"Amazing Place to Work - Culture and Strategy Can't Be Beat!"

Current Employee - Group Finance Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Leadership, Culture, Strategy, Co-workers, Environment

Cons

Extremely competitive to get to Director level and above

Microsoft2019-05-16
  7. "Good work life balance"

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I like the flexibility in working hours and this is one of the most motivating factor I am working here.

Cons

Sometime personal interaction lacks as a result

Microsoft2019-04-16

"Drinking the Kool Aid!"

I have been working at Microsoft full-time

Pros

Its an amazing company doing amazing things. I feel very proud to be an employee. Coming from a more traditional industry I feel completely spoiled here. I laugh at some of the people who complain. They have no clue.

Cons

Onboarding is for an experienced hire is pretty much a nightmare. If you're not a person who is capable of figuring it out on your own, it may not be the right fit. I also feel like while its a large company with amazing operations, if I feel like I took a step back in my career. I went from having a great breadth of experience to specializing in a small niche of the company's operations, which does not initially... feel that fulfilling.

Microsoft2019-03-17

"Good place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Challenging and intellectually stimulating work, lots of smart people, great compensation/benefits package

Cons

part of the liberal bubble, too focused on hitting diversity quotas to the detriment of hiring the best candidate for the position

Advice to Management

With all the talk about D&I and allowing every employees' voice to be heard and feeling like they belong, it seems like that does not extend to conservative minded employees. You can have your voice heard and feel like you belong only if you align with the liberal majority, or else you'll be ostracized and ridiculed.

Microsoft2019-03-05

"Honestly Pretty Shocked"

Former Employee - Finance Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time for more than a year

Pros

Satya Nadella is a truly spectacular leader, as well as Phil Spencer. I honestly loved working for both of them and knew that what I was contributing to was an inspiring vision and mission! The benefits at Microsoft are outstanding, the events are a blast and are a fantastic motivator throughout the year , the opportunities for growth and diversity in your job... some of the best I’ve ever seen. Microsoft also is in... a serious growth phase so it’s an exciting time to be a part of the organization!

Cons

I’m still pretty shocked at my experience since day 1. I’ll try to leave emotion out of it and share the historical events that occurred to remain truthful and not exaggerate. When I first came in as an MBA here, I was brought into my dream finance role. 24 hours after joining, my manager went on paternity leave for about 8 weeks. I heard from him a couple of times in that timeframe and that was about it. I got... started working on some onboarding projects and everything was more or less fine. My office was on the other side of the building so I didn’t get to sit next to my team for the first 7 months. My teammates never really came by to say hi so it was tough to build new relationships with them, having to walk over constantly to try to connect. After my manager returned, he only talked to me a handful of times. I’d say I sat in about 8 hours worth of 1-1’s over my whole year there. I never received a performance review or feedback on a single project. I never received a quarterly or year end performance review. I never heard that I did well, but was reassured that that wasn’t my manager’s style. He’s never really one to say “good job”. Not great management. I never felt like I was wanted in that role, and I heard from numerous people that I was placed in that role by a recruiter and was never actually placed in an open role and thus I wasn’t really wanted from day 1. Now for the part that I still am just in shock around. In my organization, I was the only white person. About 3 different times, in team meetings, jokes were made about how I wouldn’t understand something or couldn’t relate because I was white and not Asian/middle eastern. I just brushed it off and laughed, but felt like I experienced a form of racism that I had never felt before. Having not felt like part of the team ever and then had them make jokes about my race at my expense... it really didn’t feel good. But, because I’m Caucasian and not something else, if never felt like I could say anything about it because it’s Seattle and many people believe racism against Caucasian people isn’t possible. I would disagree based on my experience. At the end of my time, after declaring I was leaving, I never heard from a single HR rep. I had so much I needed to share and I didn’t even get an email about my departure. Nothing. Zero. No form of exit interview. No goodbye. Nothing. So now I’m sharing this all here because I didn’t get to share it internally. It was the strangest exit I’ve ever had. The moral is: people leave managers, not companies. Microsoft is a spectacular company, but my management experience was really, really poor and HR really dropped the ball here. I was so sad too having come into my dream job and feeling unwanted completely from day 1. I would’ve stayed if even one person showed that they cared in the least. I had shared this with multiple friends there on my last day who had been there for years and they were in utter disgust and shocked that HR had never reached out. They reached out on my behalf and even that didn’t trigger a response. I’m just really shocked and sad. I was really excited to build a career at Microsoft and chose to leave due to this experience.

Advice to Management

Focus on training your managers to be true managers, builders and shapers of people. Make sure your people are heard.

Microsoft2018-09-15