Microsoft Operations Director Reviews | Glassdoor

Microsoft Operations Director Reviews

Operations Director

4.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They have a great work/life balance with lots of flexibility" (in 2336 reviews)

• "Smart people (more at HQ than the field)" (in 1814 reviews)

Cons

1. "Director Business Management"

Former Employee - Director Business Planning and Operations in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Director Business Planning and Operations in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, and compensation package, flexibility to Work from home, bright and driven co-workers, company culture is shifting to allow for more trial and growth ideas vs. sure thing, feel privileged to be part of broader organizational goals.

Cons

Highly bureaucratic and political, no clear path for advancement or promotions within team or cross-organizational--you are on your own to sell yourself and skills to other teams. Little on the job training is offered, assumption is everyone will avail themselves of online tools which are often dated and/or circular--i.e. websites pointing to each other w/ no information on either. Outside of sales teams, bonus allotments are random and seem untied to work despite assurances that it is all taken into consideration. your bonus depends on how well or poorly your "peer pool" performed. If they didn't do as well, you will get more, if you all perform well, the money is peanut buttered across. Hardly incentive to help co-workers perform, despite cross-group collaboration goals.

Advice to Management

Assign clear bench marks for bonus levels. Assist people in future job placements by helping them to find leads, introducing them to others in company who can help.

2. "Director, Operation"

Current Employee - Operations Director in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Operations Director in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Smart, diversified people. Given the autonomy to own your business and deliver results.

Cons

Slow to move and respond to customer need. Company is so big that there is frequent duplication of team remits.

3. "Excellent Company"

Former Employee - Director of Operations
    Former Employee - Director of Operations

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Large technology company with global recognition. Many jobs available with ability to move in career and location. Company changes rapidly and seeks the best and brightest. The company spends a lot on employees to ensure skills and morale are kept current. Very good benefits. The office environment and hours are very flexible. Strong company ethics for individuals and the corporate environment. With their new CEO last year the company seems to be on an upswing with product development and consumer sentiment.

Cons

The company will take every hour you give it and will quickly expect long hours as the norm. There is a constant push to 'go faster'. There is also a Microsoft 'kool aid' mentality where Microsoft technology is considered the best and is the only tolerated technology - all others are admonished regardless of their merits. The company maintains a minimum attrition rate (for what they call 'good' attrition - i.e. low performers). I have seen many good employees walked out the door because attrition targets had to be met.

Advice to Management

Do away with the 'what have you done for me lately' mentality and appreciate the skills and experience individuals bring to the table. Let employees go for valid reasons, not just because an attrition target needs to be met. Hold managers accountable for managing their employees.

"Some great people to work with"

Former Employee - Operations Director
    Former Employee - Operations Director

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Field people are by far and large bright, motivated, supportive, and great to work with. Spent 11 years at the Microsoft Technology Centers, which grew from 7 to 37 in those years. The MTCs have great people and a great business model for engaging customers.

Cons

Corporate groups still spend far too much energy and time focused internally, and competing with each other rather than working collaboratively. Satya's new focus may change that, but it will take time.

Advice to Management

Stay the course with driving collaboration vs. competition internally.

5. "Excellent company to work for"

Former Employee - Sales Operations Director in Vila Nova Conceição (Brazil)
    Former Employee - Sales Operations Director in Vila Nova Conceição (Brazil)

I worked at Microsoft (Less than a year)

Pros

challenging environment, good benefits, great people

Cons

to much internal burocracy and difficult to grow you career if not in your original area

"Outside of Redmond and Prod Mgmt/Dev, this company is Clueless in execution and Consumers"

Current Employee - Director of Operations
    Current Employee - Director of Operations

Pros

Very good pkg of training, especially for those in leadership positions as people managers. You can be certain the people managers you have in MS will be properly prepared and resources are provided to ensure you are successful.

Cons

Too much resources renders a lot of people into lazy, incompent workers. this is especially the case outside of Redmond away where there is a true spirit of innovation and hard-charging attitude. the Intl subs are not the same. Company is on defense all the time instead of playing offense. e.g., sales is caught guilty of channel stuffing because of our dinosaur policy and program forces non-competitive products to be sold, so we had subs completely found guilty of stuffing channels to make their numbers. Victim of the past success and living in the past glory. Out of touch with the marketplace and reality. Apple and Google are kicking our rear-ends.

Advice to Management

The world doesn't revolve around Redmond and the US. We have been and will continue to get detroyed in the emerging markets if we expect customers and consumers in region will put up with our ridiculous set of rules. We are not the sun any longer, rather a moon now. We should not force other to orbit around us but instead try to deliver value back to the world, like we did previously.