Microsoft Paralegal Reviews | Glassdoor

Paralegal

3.5

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Certain groups can have poor work-life balance" (in 1156 reviews)

• "Outdated review system which is anything but fair" (in 525 reviews)

"Paralegal (Contract)"

Former Employee - Paralegal in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Paralegal in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very bright and talented legal team.

Cons

Too much stratification of the workforce. Contractors are not valued sufficiently.

"Sr. Paralegal"

Current Employee - Senior Paralegal in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Paralegal in Renton, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I am able to take on a lot of responsibility as a Sr. Paralegal. Microsoft allows me to work independently. Microsoft provides great benefits for its employees and recently added two additional holidays.

Cons

I feel a little isolated in my job and there isn't much of a team environment. We all have our own offices so people tend to close their office doors which takes away from the team environment.

Advice to Management

It is nice to have your own office but it takes away the team environment because people close their office doors and don't talk to each other. I would like to see more career development and have more support and mentoring from my group.

3. "Competitive Pay"

Current Employee - Senior Paralegal in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Paralegal in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Microsoft (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work-life balance, supportive management, intelligent and driven teams

Cons

work politics are unavoidable, constant re-orgs

"Excellent Experience"

Former Employee - Senior Paralegal in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Paralegal in Seattle, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working with incredible talent! Was empowered to have broad range of responsibility, given great trust and autonomy and accountable for results (both good and bad). Interesting and complex work assignments. Access to all levels of the corporate organization Excellent benefits and compensation.

Cons

Former review system was designed to pit co-workers against each other. I've read that this has changed recently and am hopeful that is the case. Management as-a-profession was overlooked. Most managers were risen from the ranks of specialists and while many were excellent some were absolutely not good in a manager role, this was not often acknowledged.

Advice to Management

New senior management team so hard to say exactly however I would recommend the company get back to identifying it's Core Mission and focus on excelling there - stop trying to be everything to everyone and do what the company does best. Democratize technology by bringing the power of technical solutions to the masses.

"LCA Paralegal"

Current Employee - Paralegal in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You will work with intelligent, sharp-minded people.

Cons

The company does not have a clear view on where it is headed; mostly due to mismanagement by Ballmer.

Advice to Management

Learn to listen to the product teams and innovate from within. Learn to lead not follow.

"Don't believe the hype of the recruiter, look into the eyes of the interviewer instead. They are the walking dead."

Current Employee - Senior Paralegal in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Paralegal in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Seattle is a beautiful city, everyone in Seattle works for Microsoft, thus all mental healthcare providers will accept your insurance. You WILL however have to wait months to get an appointment because the wait list of Microsoft employees in front of you is long.

Cons

It's comprised of exceptionally smart, capable, passionate and willing individuals horribly handicapped by bloat, bureaucracy, and the inertia of history. Management in-fighting, absolute atrophy at the executive level, and a review system which created a cannibalizing zombie horde of 100,000 people worldwide

Advice to Management

It's all been said before; get rid of Ballmer, get rid of the Windows management that crushed all other creative and innovative thinking within the company for the last decade, wall off consumer from the revenue sucking vampire BING, and pick an email name and stick with it.

7. "Nice benefits but boring position that lacked upward mobility."

Former Employee - Paralegal Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Paralegal Assistant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary and benefits were adequate. The office parties were fun.

Cons

Work was not challenging or fulfilling. Advancement was slow to develop and the benefit increases were inconsequential.

Advice to Management

Improve room for career advancement. Add more development into requirements for employees.

8. "Long hours, interesting work, desolate work environment"

Current Employee - Paralegal in Redmond, WA

Pros

Very interesting work and bright people! Excellent benefits and flexibility in work schedule. Opportunity to move to different areas within the legal department. High level legal issues involved.

Cons

Below market salary. Communication between people on the team is terrible and even though they know it, there is nothing they will do about it. The offices are dark and dreary. You are pretty much dropped at a desk and it's your responsibility to figure everything out on your own or ask people, eventhough no one really seems like they have the time or interest in answering your questions.

Expect to spend 2 years before you feel a little bit comfortable.

Advice to Management

Become more customer focused!