Microsoft Reviews in Philadelphia, PA | Glassdoor

Philadelphia, PA

4.5

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Great Company to work for"

Former Employee - Premier Field Engineer in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Premier Field Engineer in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are great, internal processes are really well thought out for the most part, and there is a great vibe around the direction of the company overall. The Premier division places an emphasis on work-life balance (mixed success, but the effort is there).

Cons

The job gives freedom to create your own schedule and drive your own success. This is really tough to do, and it's easy to fail at. Internal transfers are a lot about networking, which can be difficult depending on your own situation (specifically, where in the company you're stationed - Philly is not great for networking - Charlotte, DC, Dallas and Seattle area are the best for sustained success).

Advice to Management

Don't try to penny-pinch with an extremely profitable business with extremely talented people. Just let the people be successful, create opportunities for them to shine, and more profit will come. Don't get into the "Reduce Costs" game...

2. "n/a"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Technology, Money, Software, Flexibility, Employment

Cons

Subjective, Challenging, Lack of Vision

3. "Application Development Manager"

Former Employee - Applications Development Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Applications Development Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits, Great opportunity to learn new technologies, Good defined processes throughout the organization

Cons

Lots of travel, Have to participate in unwanted training

Advice to Management

Keep innovating

4. "It was "o.k." but proceed with caution."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most people who work here are very bright.
    Benefits are fantastic and second to none.
    Great to have on your resume.

Cons

Zero work life balance and the company talks out of both sides of it's @&&. One minute they say that they want you to have work life balance, the next they say that if you really want to get ahead that you have to put in many, many hours to get ahead. Many of the people in my group would be doing work into the night on a daily basis.

They issue an annual employee survey where the purpose is to take the temperature of the employees and how they like to work at Microsoft. Each of the years that I was there, our direct manager would have a meeting with us and would say "if you have any problems at all, we would appreciate it if you told us in advance of the survey so we can work things out". This to me is just purely unethical - You are essentially strong armed into providing responses that are not honest for fear of it coming back to bite you professionally. Managers seem to be "graded" on this so if they have a small group of reports, then it wouldn't be too hard for them to figure out who said what (or they may assume).

Speaking of surveys - they do the same with their customers as well. This is a big metric within MS and reps have to be very careful as to who they get to fill out their surveys in order to get a good response. Have literally seen reps blatantly ask for good marks rather than honest ones.

Political - very political internally. There are people who have been there for years and are very much an "inner circle". People are some-what click'ish.

Not really a "negative" but just different - Very different sales cycle and unique from most other sales organizations. July, there is nothing going on, August through ~October is mostly "sales planning". Different in that the specialists are responsible for telling the account managers where the opportunities are within the account managers companies. This is not a big negative, but I do find it unusual. You would think that the account manager should know where the opportunities are within their own accounts.

5. "Technically fulfilling, a great work environment, but not for someone who likes to stand out in a crowd"

Former Employee - Data Platform Technology Specialist in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Data Platform Technology Specialist in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Technology everywhere, always changing and a fun place to work

Cons

Poor management, bad decisions at upper levels

Advice to Management

Invest early in emerging technologies and work better with non-MSFT technologies

6. "Rate Microsoft"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for. Lots of opportunities and growth. I have learnt alot with my time served at Microsoft. Development stages are great times and the people are fun to be with. I dont regret working at Microsoft

Cons

Management style needs attention urgently. Im sure if it was not for me disliking their managent style I would still be at Microsoft

Advice to Management

People skills are extremely important

7. "Was a great place to work 5-10 years ago, management and company have lost edge, but still a pretty good place to work."

Former Employee - Solution Specialist in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Solution Specialist in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

If you have a large family the benfits are fantastic, especially medical, dental, vision, etc. A lot of very smart people, most are open, friendly and helpful. You are given very specific goals and a lot of lattitude on how you go about achieving them.

Cons

Having worked at Microsoft for 12 years in U.S. Field Sales, I saw a big upswing in employee turnover in recent years. Since KT took over the shift has been back to low cost of sale, very specialized product sales roles focused on quarter to quarter revenue attainment. Most managers drive business from a spreadsheet, spending less time with customers and employees. Very complex compensation miodel. I think this can turn around, but right now it's not a happy place to be selling. They need to promote some diversity, not just Type-A spreadsheet jockey's on Red Bull...

Advice to Management

Get HR more in tune with why people are leaving Microsoft, and why new employees are not staying very long. In field, promote people to management because they have strong people and coaching skills, not just because they hit their numbers as an idividual contributor and have nowhere to go. Do the right thing when it comes to review time, and make sure you're taking care of the good employees and risk takers, not just those that negotiated a low quota.

Showing 7 of 17,891 reviews