Microsoft Program Manager III Reviews | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Program Manager III

Microsoft Program Manager III Reviews

Updated 27 Jan 2011

2.2
  1. "Microsoft is an Amazing work place!"

Technical Program Manager III in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

You get to work with some of the most talented people in the World. Diversity is vast! You get to work on some of the coolest products (if you are good enough!). The opportunities for advancement or change are available to anyone. If you want to travel and see the world you could get a job internaltionally and gain experience that way. Work-life balance (able to do what I need to do during the day and still get... my work done), no set hours, just set meeting times. Flexibility to have children and cater to their needs while still maintaining a career in a high tech company.

Cons

Long hours (but that is only a downside if you are a non-workaholic.

Advice to Management

Hire more so one doesn't have to do a two person or three person job.

Microsoft2008-06-17

"Microsoft let me down"

Operations Program Manager III in Issaquah, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

The company is a good place to work if you are just seeking a financially secure environment and are not concerned about advancement. For eample, the benefits poackage is generous.

Cons

In my ten plus years I had many, many managers, but only one manager that I would recommend to others. Management was more interested in arbitrary deadlines to impress their bosses than in delivering quality products in a realistic timeline. Worklife balance is a management mantra that never makes it into practice. My colleagues and I regularly worked long hours that crept into the weekends and negatively impacted... family life. While there are training opportunities, I was too overworked to take advantage of most. Salary growth has not even keep pace with the cost of living, let alone your performance. I have chosen to seek emplyment elsewhere. It is sad, given that I had so much faith in the company. I feel let down.

Advice to Management

Invest in training people managers to grow their people. While I still have some faith in upper management, I have little faith in lower and middle management. This perspective comes from 10+ years at Microsoft.

Microsoft2011-01-28
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"Contract work is great if you have the right Perspective"

Program Manager III in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

It's a great opportunity to learn and you become accostomed to working in a university-like enviornment. You do feel part of a large community. The company seems genuinely concerned about the enviornment. The facilities are excellent, than includeds the cafes and bathrooms.

Cons

Many people are working themselves sick. Also, there is not really a culture of sharing information or collaborating. If something is not in someone's commitments, then you can't count on them. Product development can take so long that you may be working on an irrelevant product by the time it's near launch.

Advice to Management

Foster a genuinely collaborative atmosphere.

Microsoft2008-12-04