Microsoft Reviews in Redmond, WA | Glassdoor

Satya Nadella
1,717 Ratings

5,475 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • work life balance is a bit of an issue (in 987 reviews)

• Review system was not the greatest (in 510 reviews)

"A great place to creativly work if you can handle the pressure."

Current Employee - Project Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Redmond, WA

Pros

Benifits, Challenges, ability to create your own solutions. Manager allows you to creativly solve your problems and steps in when you need assistance. You are treated with respect. You can be blunt and honest. Everyone has a seat at the table when you are working on a project. Mistakes are seen as learning opportunities and not held against you (as long as you dont make the same one 2x.)

Cons

Lots of Stress/pressure. Tight deatlines. Cross-group communicaiton breakdowns sometimes.

Advice to Management

Good job.

"Amazing opportunites await you at Microsoft (even after you land a job)"

Current Employee - Marketing Communications Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Marketing Communications Manager in Redmond, WA

Pros

Microsoft fosters an environment of career advancement and personal growth. Movement between divisions (products, HR, marketing, etc.) is encouraged as is training. I started as a tester and have gained the skills (thanks to their training and "stretch assigments" to move into a marketing role. The health care benefits are extraordinary: No copay for doctor visits or prescriptions; coverage for many "alternative" or "complementary" care types (e.g., accupuncture); and substantial mental health coverage.

Cons

The annual review process is tough but I do believe it's necessary. Throughout the year you make commitments about the work you will complete. Then you are evaluated against those commitments. Sometimes it's tough because of switching priorities but it has always been fair. You are always expected to go above and beyond those comittments. But I think that's part of what make Microsoft great and its people greater.

Advice to Management

Continue what you're doing, especially your efforts to encourage, recognize, and reward innovation.

"Come work at Microsoft if you're smart, passionate, hard working, creative and customer focused"

Current Employee - General Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Redmond, WA

Pros

Great way to learn about many areas. Your reputation is portable from areas as diverse as gaming, enterprise software, mobile software etc. Lots of freedom. Smart, dedicated people. Great benefits and very profitable company.

Cons

commute is getting tough these days.

Advice to Management

Please drive the stock price up higher.

"Microsoft, what a great place to work."

Current Employee - Principal Development Engineer Lead in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Principal Development Engineer Lead in Redmond, WA

Pros

Among the best reasons to work at Microsoft are the people you get to work with. By surrounding yourself with highly talented, passionate, and very smart people, you'll find you learn a large amount about making great software. I truly appreciate the work ethic and care many of my co-workers put into our products. We really strive to make the best software we can. Other reasons it is a great place to work include the beautiful Seattle area, amazing health benefits, and the numerous opportunities to get involved with others who share common interests.

Cons

Personally, I'd like to try out a smaller company at some point in my life. While Microsoft is very large, and has many opportunites to choose from in almost any technical area, I'd like to try out the small business scene. The base pay is greater than the average software development job within the US, but by no means is near the top. I do believe however that the bonus, awards, work/life balance, and health benefits do outweight the lower wage.

Advice to Management

I believe we've done a lot to reorganize to set a stronger focus in many areas. I believe every estabilished company needs to continue to reinvent itself to stay on the edge of software. My advice to Senior Management would be to continue to drive focus down to the lowest levels, continue to research and try new things, and continue to grow talented employees from within.

"Hands down the best company to work for - if you don't mind the rain."

Current Employee - Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Redmond, WA

Pros

Tons of product areas at this company so you can easily find the group which suits you the best. Xbox games, MSN, Windows, SQL, Visual Studio, Home Entertainment, Privacy/Security, Entertainment, Autos, Mobile, etc, etc. etc.... I've worked at Hewlett Packard, and Google, and have friends at IBM and Intel and nothing beats Microsoft in this regard.

Cons

You need to be in Redmond for maximum visibility within the company for promotions, and Redmond is COLD and RAINY all winter long... We seem to be growing a little too fast lately. 40,000 in Redmond is a bit too much.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, lets buy Yahoo! asap...

"A great internship experience."

Former Employee - Programming Writer in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Programming Writer in Redmond, WA

Pros

All people are helpful. We create products that impact the world. During my 3-month internship, I learned more than one academic year in college.

Cons

No, I don't really think there's any downside.

Advice to Management

This is a great company. I just hope everybody can keep up the great work and energy like ever.

"Happy but worried."

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Redmond, WA

Pros

I have a young and growing family so the number one reason I liked the idea of working for Microsoft was the health benefits. Microsoft is big enough to write it's own health plan. There are a few different options, but the default plan is nothing out of pocket for a 100% coverage. No deductions. No copayments. Not even for prescriptions.

Free drinks - we have almost all the coke and pepsi products, plus some tasty sparkling water choices and a full line up of milk and juice.

The salary is fair for a fresh-out-of-school employee working in this expensive area. Other forms of compensation include big morale budgets for every team, stock awards (not options), and potential for annual bonuses equaling 20% of your annual salary.

Microsoft appears mean on the outside because of the aggression of our executives, but down in the drenches where the products are built, everyone is just excited to be a part of something big and cool. The passion and excitement of everyone about the stuff we're doing is invigorating and makes it exciting to come to work. I work in the Office group and we're confident in our products and are exited to see them used worldwide.

Cons

One word: Traffic. Seattle traffic is horrendous. A twenty mile commute is about an hour commute each way. That may be common for other big metros but it's annoying to me.

Three words: Real estate prices. In 2007, the median price in Redmond Washington for homes was over 650 thousand. Granted some of those are really nice and have a good bit of space. But I moved from a place where the same sized place cost half of that. Anywhere within a 30 minute commute to Microsoft will cost 450K+. The costs are such that the low income people are being driven out of the area and the medium income people are becoming the low income people because they can barely afford a 300 thousand dollar condo 45 minutes away from where they work.

Advice to Management

I wish they would seek to improve our public image. There are ways to be good players in the market, still be competitive and still best everyone else. Find them. Do them.

I wish they'd focus more on our core business. I feel like we're running out into unknown territories such as search and devices (areas that we should expand to) so fast that we're losing our grip on operating systems and office productivity.

I wish they'd focus more on interoperability with our own stuff. Why some of our products don't work with other products of ours is beyond me. We've gotten too big to be nimble.

"microsoft is one of the strongest and best corps to work for, and hard word is very needed and rewarded"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Redmond, WA

Pros

- strong career focus and growth
    - great impact on the industry
    - enormous opportunities within the company on all levels, technical, professions
    - excellent family benefits

Cons

- all roles are too specialized, sometimes its nice to get a broad perspective
    - not all teams or divisions have the same strong career or strong project management culture
    - very little technical documentation, making onboarding new employees very difficult and frustrating

Advice to Management

continue the strong career focus, fix windows's project management issues, allow for more creative interaction between divisions

"A great company!"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Redmond, WA

Pros

You are valued, your input matters. They encourage individual thinking and ideas. People listen, the benefits are great, you work highly intelligent people. Its a great experience. I love going to work every day. Its exciting to see all the new products being developed and then their launch parties. Havign access to EVERYONE is awesome, when I find a bug I am able to report it and get it fixed. If I think something is wierd about a program I can get in touch with the person in charge of that feature and let him know my thoughts. It's excellent.

Cons

You can sometimes get into working some crazy hours that throw the work life balance out of whack. You are working for the giant. There are a few bad eggs, but that is likely at all companies.

Advice to Management

ASK YOUR STOCKHoLDERS AND EMPLOYEES BEFORE MAKING MOVES LIKE TRYING TO BUY YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Microsoft enables those who want to work hard."

Former Employee - User Experience Lead in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - User Experience Lead in Redmond, WA

Pros

Autonomy and independence. I really love the people, all extremely smart. MS cares about their employees, and it shows. The amount of resources available to you are tremendous. When there were complaints, MS made huge changes. I also love the pacific northwest. I appreciate the generosity of the company as well, the 'giving campaign' is huge. People give a lot back.

Cons

Base salary is a little low. The User Experience discipline is still figuring out how their career paths are. Also, the commute is tough, which isn't Microsoft's fault, more about the surrounding city and local governments I guess. Sometimes the company feels "too large", but breaking the divisions up I think has been quite healthy.

Advice to Management

Move from being a "technology" company to a "human-focused" company.

Showing 5,475 of 16,580 reviews