Microsoft Representative Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 8, 2019

Representative

3.8

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They have a great work/life balance with lots of flexibility" (in 2336 reviews)

• "Smart people (more at HQ than the field)" (in 1814 reviews)

1. "Great"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Microsoft (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great ooace to work, friendly people

Cons

I have none to report now

2. "Cool job poor management"

Former Contractor - Sales Representative in White Plains, NY
    Former Contractor - Sales Representative in White Plains, NY

I worked at Microsoft as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay and cool atmosphere. A lot of perks when your first hired. Good health benefits.

Cons

No growth. You basically gotta kiss the most a** you ever did in your life to move up.

Advice to Management

Hire managers that are actually humans and not robots.

"Good entry"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Fargo, ND
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Fargo, ND

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

fast paced and get to get experience quickly

Cons

not the best company culture.

Advice to Management

plan before acting. look at long term effects and not just short term fixes.

4. "Lots of changes, without field direction"

Former Employee - Field Sales Representative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Field Sales Representative in Houston, TX

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Extremely talented employees, for the most part.
    - Good (used to be great) benefits
    - Stock doing great in recent years
    - Excellent senior leadership
    - Solid cloud development and offerings

Cons

- As company is changing from annual agreements to subscription revenue, field is in turmoil
    - Some field locations are seeing massive turnover (>50%)
    - Compensation plans uncertain/changing for field roles as management tries to understand how to adjust comp models to new sales models.
    - Pockets of low morale

Advice to Management

Ensure there is better field management to manage during the change. In some areas, field management is managing via intimidation models and driving uncertainty, poor morale, and massive turnover.

5. "A Great Company that can be greater if......."

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Benefits

Work-Life Balance: They stick to this promise as much as possible, even still making the attempt when business causes the request for increased flexibility from the employee during busier times.

Learning And Career Development Opportunities: Many areas of the business that allow for increased knowledge of how the technology business works and help with career development when time makes it available.

Opportunity to see and work with the latest and greatest technologies out there.

Alot of networking face-time with industry partners both big and small.

Cons

When it comes to career advancement, sad to say the stack system is still ever so apparent. Alot of times, advancement either becomes a who you know or cultural bias. Alot of people do not want to say it, but trust me, it is there.

Sometimes, as said above, this can lead to a career development stall with your reporting supervisor. In some areas, there is hidden favoritism being played with groups of staff.

Advice to Management

No matter race, gender or who that particular staff member is "buddy buddy" with, great talent (or rising stars if you will), is exactly that, great talent. Develop them to be an even better asset to the business, and give them the same opportunity to advance and grow as everyone else, making an even playing field. This is something that plagues the industry as a whole, so don't be part of the whole, be different and set the company apart from the rest.

6. "Services Sales Representative"

Former Contractor - Services Sales Representative in Redmond, WA
    Former Contractor - Services Sales Representative in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has good work life balance working from home is a plus
    The work experience in a multicultural environment is awesome
    Have good bonus scheme if you're fortunate to get the arrangements with your manager.
    Great colleagues and support especially for a new role.

Cons

Visibility is key one needs to align with specific people for promotion or new role .

Advice to Management

Include other benefits like medical and retirement to contractual employees.
    Vendor staff should have soke career training like the permanent staff

7. "Good product, bad execution."

Current Employee - Sales Field Representative in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Field Representative in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The job I had was fun and challenging. The product was excellent, and improving.

Cons

They did not care about current product and did not advertise.

Advice to Management

Fix the product and advertise.

"ASR"

Former Employee - Area Sales Representative in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Area Sales Representative in Tampa, FL

I worked at Microsoft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment and great people. Well structured on-boarding, training, and career nurturing. Many opportunities to grow into higher level positions.

Cons

Very fast paced environment. A great deal of information to constantly keep up with and retain to conduct your business.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Company is evolving into a better place and a strong second wind after years of stagnation.

"Microsoft sales role review."

Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative and Coprorate Account Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Outstanding Cadillac benefit plans. Stock ownership for all employees from day one. Great earnings potential. Fantastic facilities with 5 star dining and free vending machines in break rooms. Very professional atmosphere with high quality coworkers.

Cons

Management style. Microsoft has a management style that I felt discouraged top performance. High priority is placed on sales forecasting to the point that I spent 65% of my time each week in forecast spread sheets and forecast reviews with management. The culture set by management is also a throw each other under the bus culture. Typically sales were performed by sales teams of various Product Specialist Technical Sales Experts and Account Managers. If a team lost a sale to a competitor, management would schedule a conference call with the team for a loss review. During the call the manager would often ask each member of the team who the weak link on the team is that caused the team to loose the opportunity. The legacy Microsoft employees would immediately begin throwing each other under the bus. Having come from an IBM culture where we truly worked as a team, watched each others back and typically had "air cover" followed up by coaching from our managers, I found the Microsoft throw each other under the bus mentality to be very detrimental to to building a good close cohesive sales team where the members were motivated to trust each other and work together in a positive way to be successful. It appeared that back stabbing was expected and eagerly applied by employees in an effort to safe themselves or try to get brownie points. I found it to be a very negative and demoralizing approach to team sales..

Advice to Management

Streamline and simplify the sales forecasting process and only requires once every two to four weeks. We would often be asked to update our forecast on almost a daily basis.
    Although I was a very successful award winning rep, while working for another company I once made a mistake that caused us to loose a fairly sizable sale. The Executive I was working under took the blame with upper management and protected my back. He simply asked me if I had learned from my mistake which I certainly had. The entire sales team learned a great lesson from that, From that day forward myself and the rest of my team adopted the attitude that we not only wanted to over achieve for our own purposes but also to make our Executive look great. We cared about him as much as he cared about us. We would walk through fire for him and always wanted to have his back. We went on to be a consistently overachieving team that one numerous world wide sales awards. Strong comradery and a positive healthy desire to achieve a goal together always leads to greater and more rewarding success than a negative beat down distrustful environment. I understand that some managers feel like fear is the greatest motivator but I disagree. When I know I am working for someone that believes in and is loyal to me, I will work twice as hard to show my appreciation.

10. "Great Culture"

Current Employee - Field Sales Representative in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Field Sales Representative in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are great and it offers a flexible role working with the forefront of consumer technology. In an always changing environment it keeps things fresh and engaging.

Cons

As a new program, it has not offered to many opportunities for advancement...yet. With the scheduled growth cycle and portfolio soon to come, this will change.