Microsoft Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Reviews | Glassdoor

Microsoft Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Reviews

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET)

3.6

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Certain groups can have poor work-life balance" (in 1157 reviews)

• "Outdated review system which is anything but fair" (in 525 reviews)

1. "Hard work rewarded with recognition"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II in Redmond, WA

Pros

Show your commitment, loyalty and consistent good work ethic and you'll be rewarded.

Cons

Not all those working with you have the same loyalty

Advice to Management

Hiring practices should take into account loyalty.

2. "Good place to be but..."

I have been working at Microsoft (More than a year)

Pros

Smart, nice people, challenging environment

Cons

No feeling of security - all groups trying to downscale vendors

3. "SDE"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in San Jose, CA

I worked at Microsoft (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of smart people working around you.

Cons

Lots of smart people who wants to leave MS.

"Decent"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good culture and the people around me are generally nice however there are certain times when the stress is high that things go wrong.

Cons

at certain times things can get frustrating and things tend to heat up which leads to some arguments.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the yearly evaluation or change it in some way or shape because people become everly political when it comes around.

5. "The best company ever"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Seattle, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Learn a lot, great benefits, great salary. The people you work with are the smartest and the best in personal relationships

Cons

Work have to be done, hard work, sometimes there is no time to rest. And sometimes the stress can be a factor

Advice to Management

Keep it real

"Competitive environment but not much growth"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pretty good benefits. Stayfit benefit was nice where you can get a gym membership, reimbursement plan, or a flat stipend. Healthcare wasnt bad either.

Stable job environment. Retention is fairly high and there are a lot of seasoned coworkers.

Company is stable and many product areas to try.

An obvious one, but the status that comes from working for an iconic company.

Cons

Not as much room for promotion or growth (at least on the team I was on). People were very competitive, but the vibe was that management expected people to work with both ends of the candle burning as the norm.

While there are many product areas, my impression is that exploring other teams and trying to transfer to another is strongly discouraged. Transfering to a different division is even more of a challenge.

Not much support by management to explore areas of interest in terms of new tools or technologies. This might have been a culture trait of my team.

Lots of redundant menial work that should be automated, but no bandwidth given to work on tools for these. Also a lot of the existing tools were slow or error prone and needed to be improved or redone, but again no bandwidth given for these.

Not great at onboarding new employees in my team (I am not referring to the general NEO done by HR). Lack of training materials and outreach to integrate new FTEs.

Advice to Management

Take feedback from employee poll seriously and not just immediately shut down requests or ideas.

Help to foster team growth and encourage dedicating some time each week to learn something new.

Help new employees by setting up a mentor or introducing new folks to each other.

7. "Amazing place to work"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Cross Team movement
    Great respect for employees
    Smart people around.
    Redmond is great affordable place to live.

Cons

If you want something more different look at venture funded startups as soon after the series-A close as possible. There will be more room for you to do things "beyond your pay grade" at a big company and less for negative politics.

Advice to Management

Politics is everywhere, its just a matter of how much of it is visible to you (and how much you are interested in seeing it). The only way not to get involved in politics is by only associating with your work, and not get involved in anything that is not directly related to your work.

8. "Work with the smartest people, deal with some bureaucracy"

Former Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET)

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Microsoft is a company that is really what you make of it. They have tons of learning opportunities for employees, pay very well, and really support their employees. You're working with some of the smartest people on the planet and most likely building products that millions to hundreds of millions of people use.

Cons

Because Microsoft is so large (~100k employees) and so old (founded in 1975), there are pockets of "we've always done it this way" that can be frustrating. Many teams are able to adapt to new technologies and methodologies, but some teams are so large and have been successful for so long, it's hard for them to shift. This feels like it's changing with Satya as CEO, which is great.

Advice to Management

When I became a lead I was given no formal training. I think picking a culture that you want, and enforcing it at the management level with training and reinforcement would really allow the organization to change and adapt quickly.

9. "Software Development Engineer in Test 2"

I have been working at Microsoft (More than 10 years)

Pros

Competitive Benefits, great people, challenging work, lots of opportunities

Cons

Test environment is becoming less hands on the product and more big data analysis. While this is challenging and interesting, this is not what I enjoyed about testing at Microsoft in the past. Benefits, while still extremely competitive, are slowly being cut. Work life balance, while talked about a lot, is more about the work side.

10. "3 month internship"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of talented people you get to meet. It was amazing to see how a huge company works.
    And they treat their interns really well.

Cons

There was a little loss of the sense of direction during my internship. Nobody was very clear of what the outcome should be.

Advice to Management

Continue investing in people, take more risks productwise. Like a few of the most recent moves they have done.