Microsoft Intern Reviews | Glassdoor

Microsoft intern Reviews

internCurrent Employees

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Bureaucratic, reliant on ancient protocol and values, but so rich they bribe me to stay."

Current Intern - Intern in Cambridge, MA
    Current Intern - Intern in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the people are great. They understand the direction such a large, heavy corporation needs to take. They are candid with the reality of the company yet work hard to make it better. The pay is great, the benefits are great for full-time employees (health insurance, 401k, etc.). Program Managers (what my internship was in) have a lot of interesting tasks to do, and it changes every day

Cons

I'm just a PM intern, and this status makes some people believe - particularly people in sales, marketing, design, and non-engineering roles whom I've had to deal with - that they can overrule me. I am young but very, very familiar with the technology space. They don't take you seriously here unless you're 50 years old and have tenure, even if your protocols and infrastructures are so outdated that internal employees call them "atrocious." Let's take TechNet for example - the worst documentation library of all the tech giants. It is unreadable, and the documentation teams at Microsoft are so unfit for writing because they are not given access to resources such as test devices and software. Marketing people are completely closedminded and think their strategies actually work! Our marketing strategy is grabbing ahold on the Office ship and hoping it never sinks. Many older employees who have been around for a long time are unwilling to change and progress. I might be an intern - but if you want Microsoft to be hip and at least not a 2004 product, you have to start listening to younger folks.

Advice to Management

Lay off some of the tenure folks that sit around and demand that their protocol and opinions be followed. They're not with the new age of technology and never will be. Give the documentation team resources so they're actually qualified to write documentation. Hire better UI/UX designers.

2. "Summer internship"

Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Redmond, WA

Pros

Possibly the most structured internship on the planet. Summer camp for college students

Cons

ummmm.. It really depends on who you are - I just felt kind of lost in the company. However, it really is a great company - they treat their employees really well

Advice to Management

try and relate more to the new hires

"Good place to be an intern, but maybe it's better to work elsewhere..."

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Redmond, WA

Pros

- Great technologies (you know that you are working on products that affects the life of millions of people)
    - Good benefits package
    - Opportunities for career growt and advancement
    - Great colleagues to work with, very intelligent and talented

Cons

The managers don't care for what the employees have to say about what's wrong...In the long term, this will destroy the company. Actually, sometimes they even complain with you if you talk to them about what you think is wrong in the company...
    There isn't a very good Work/Life balance

Advice to Management

Take your time to hear what the employees have to say...

4. "Microsoft Intern"

Current Intern - Intern in São João do Pau d'Alho (Brazil)
    Current Intern - Intern in São João do Pau d'Alho (Brazil)

I have been working at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great life/work balance and environment

Cons

Terrible career opportunities for interns

Showing 4 of 17,489 reviews